No "Ranked" playlist(s) in Halo 4 should contain AA's.

In Halo Reach the only “ranked” playlist is Arena. In the Arena I am currently 1% Onyx and as such I play with, and know, most of the players that have attained single digit onyx percentages. Nearly everyone at this level will agree with my opinion that armor abilities have no place in a ranked Halo playlist. They do not mesh well with competitive gameplay. In fact, they oppose it.

I will only briefly explain the flaws with certain armor abilities because this has already been argued to death both here and in the Bungie forums.

• Armor Lock -
    This AA allows players who position themselves badly to get a second chance at living. Good players get little use out of armor lock because they will naturally position themselves strategically. Worse players will need armor lock because they more often find themselves in terrible spots. This armor ability helps “bad” players without giving “good” players much of a bonus.

• Jet Pack -
    This AA is the single most hated feature implemented into Reach amongst top Arena players. It is used to break map control on almost any level by getting into positions that are otherwise impossible to reach. Skilled players will also use the jet pack to abuse soft kill zones by going up high, putting as many shots as possible into the other team, and then dropping back down before the timer reaches zero. In games between top Arena players some maps, such as Reflection, Swordbase, Uncaged, Rebirth, and Asylum have become “jet pack or lose”.

• Active Camo -
    This AA is hardly seen, but very easily abused. It has been removed from most playlists because Bungie has most likely acknowledged it as a mistake. Having active camo and a sniper is a nearly unrivaled advantage in a halo game. Full teams utilizing this AA can lead to very slow and annoying gameplay.

I am by no means saying that Halo 4 should not use any AA’s. I’m just saying that most, if not all, of the competitive players (we will most likely be the ones playing the ranked playlists in Halo 4) have acknowledged the game breaking abilities of armor abilities in Reach. When playing casually armor abilities can be amusing or even down right fun, but they DO NOT belong in game types or playlists that are supposed to be competitive. If they are in Halo 4, please keep them in social/unranked playlists.

I thank anyone who takes the time to read this and reply intelligently. I hope any 343 employees who read this will give it some consideration.

I definitely agree with this. I don’t expect much to change in Reach (although I am hoping we will see AA’s used as a map pick up rather then a loadout after the TU) but I sincerely hope that AA’s have no place in Halo 4, or at least not in any competitive playlists.

Just curious, what is your position is on sprint? I personally don’t like it and prefer no AA’s for everyone but what are the opinions of players at higher level onyx.

I will admit I’m not top single digit Onyx, and I have become accustomed to AA’s since Reach came out. I will say though, AA’s should not be in Halo 4. I’d rather have the ranked Halo 3 and Halo 2 (without the glitches) type playlists. Get rid of AA’s, up movement speed. That would make it…better IMO.

Sprint and evade are the only t wo things that make sense, you are are super soldier from 500 years in the future, there is no reason they cannot spring / evade. They should be normal game mechanics, not abilities.

> Sprint and evade are the only t wo things that make sense, you are are super soldier from 500 years in the future, there is no reason they cannot spring / evade. They should be normal game mechanics, not abilities.

Even evade and sprint can be used with weapons like sword and hammer to become pretty damn tough to kill. Evade was removed from Arena because many players complained that sword/evade was an invincible combo on countdown. And from my experience, it was.

> In Halo Reach the only “ranked” playlist is Arena. In the Arena I am currently 1% Onyx and as such I play with, and know, most of the players that have attained single digit onyx percentages. Nearly everyone at this level will agree with my opinion that armor abilities have no place in a ranked Halo playlist. They do not mesh well with competitive gameplay. In fact, they oppose it.
>
> I will only briefly explain the flaws with certain armor abilities because this has already been argued to death both here and in the Bungie forums.
>
> - Armor Lock -
> This AA allows players who position themselves badly to get a second chance at living. Good players get little use out of armor lock because they will naturally position themselves strategically. Worse players will need armor lock because they more often find themselves in terrible spots. This armor ability helps “bad” players without giving “good” players much of a bonus.
>
> - Jet Pack -
> This AA is the single most hated feature implemented into Reach amongst top Arena players. It is used to break map control on almost any level by getting into positions that are otherwise impossible to reach. Skilled players will also use the jet pack to abuse soft kill zones by going up high, putting as many shots as possible into the other team, and then dropping back down before the timer reaches zero. In games between top Arena players some maps, such as Reflection, Swordbase, Uncaged, Rebirth, and Asylum have become “jet pack or lose”.
>
> - Active Camo -
> This AA is hardly seen, but very easily abused. It has been removed from most playlists because Bungie has most likely acknowledged it as a mistake. Having active camo and a sniper is a nearly unrivaled advantage in a halo game. Full teams utilizing this AA can lead to very slow and annoying gameplay.
>
> I am by no means saying that Halo 4 should not use any AA’s. I’m just saying that most, if not all, of the competitive players (we will most likely be the ones playing the ranked playlists in Halo 4) have acknowledged the game breaking abilities of armor abilities in Reach. When playing casually armor abilities can be amusing or even down right fun, but they DO NOT belong in game types or playlists that are supposed to be competitive. If they are in Halo 4, please keep them in social/unranked playlists.
>
> I thank anyone who takes the time to read this and reply intelligently. I hope any 343 employees who read this will give it some consideration.

Agreed. Let’s get back to pure Halo gameplay. No AAs, no bloom, and H2/CE quick kill times in H4.

Armor Lock hasn’t been in The Arena for months…

But other than that, what you’re asking for is being able to use the skills from Halo 2/3 and having a barebones playlist where no AA’s are used. That’s not what Halo: Reach is about.

Halo 4 could go in either direction. They could expand on the AA’s and class system of Invasion/Firefight or they could completely abandon it. The decision is up to them though.

A Barebones playlist should be included, much like Team Classic though. I’m all for that! According to multiple statements by 343i’s the Title Update will give them the tools to do just that.

Other than that, what you want may not fit into 343i’s plans, regardless of how you feel about the Class/AA system.

> I will admit I’m not top single digit Onyx, and I have become accustomed to AA’s since Reach came out. I will say though, AA’s should not be in Halo 4. I’d rather have the ranked Halo 3 and Halo 2 (without the glitches) type playlists. Get rid of AA’s, up movement speed. That would make it…better IMO.

With a Halo Combat Evolved “Classic” playlist.

> Armor Lock hasn’t been in The Arena for months…
>
> But other than that, what you’re asking for is being able to use the skills from Halo 2/3 and having a barebones playlist where no AA’s are used. That’s not what Halo: Reach is about.
>
> Halo 4 could go in either direction. They could expand on the AA’s and class system of Invasion/Firefight or they could completely abandon it. The decision is up to them though.
>
> A Barebones playlist should be included, much like Team Classic though. I’m all for that! According to multiple statements by 343i’s the Title Update will give them the tools to do just that.
>
> Other than that, what you want may not fit into 343i’s plans, regardless of how you feel about the Class/AA system.

I know I have no say over what 343i dues with Halo 4. I am just offering my opinion about why Halo Reach failed competitively.

In Halo 3 the ranked playlists all had decent populations. In Halo Reach the only “ranked” playlist has one of the lowest populations.

> I know I have no say over what 343i dues with Halo 4. I am just offering my opinion about why Halo Reach failed competitively.
>
> In Halo 3 the ranked playlists all had decent populations. In Halo Reach the only “ranked” playlist has one of the lowest populations.

It made a different playlist style compared to Halo 3, that is true. But you can’t compare the non-existent “Ranked” playlists of Halo: Reach to Halo 3’s Ranked. We don’t know how many of the players from Team Slayer would be playing Ranked Team Slayer in Halo: Reach.

You also have to remember that Halo 3’s Players Online system was flawed in that it used the past 4-6 hours as it’s “current” player count. The numbers were inflated so. Just keep that in mind.

The series is going to be making some pretty drastic changes development studios. What direction it takes is entirely up to them.

I am in favor of a much more vast Ranked/Arena based playlists, much like the Arena was in the beginning. For some reason it never took off, and all of the Arena playlists were hugely underpopulated. I’m not sure if it’s the player’s fault or the drastic change in ranking systems from Halo 2/3. Could be either or a combination.

Personally, I do believe an AA limited set of playlists should be offered in Halo 4 in an Arena category, once again much like The Arena started off as.

I also believe a HEAVILY altered visible leveling system (Literally the only thing in common in Halo 3’s system would be the fact it uses numbers) would be ideal for all playlists.

But that’s just me and my ideas. Hopefully we’ll get more information about the direction Halo 4 will be taking in the near future.

AA’s shouldn’t be in halo 4 ranked or social … period.

Fully agree.

4v4 gametypes are just no place for anything except guns, grenades, melee, and spartans.

If 343 wants to experiment with AAs, leave them out of ranked initially. If they do it well enough, ranked players might want AAs added in later.

I’m hoping for a completely new experience, devoid of AA’s and Reach’s gameplay. I have hope that that’s what we’ll get.

Agreed. Armor abilities have no place in Halo, period.

I myself rarely play Arena, and as such, have a Silver ranking in it.

And I agree with your points. I feel AA’s have changed the way Halo is played, and not to my liking. (Not trying to sound selfish there). I still enjoy playing Halo Reach, no doubt. But I often think about the points that you posted here.

I’m currently 3% Onyx and agree that Sprint and Jetpack should get the hell out already. Sprint is used as an escape tool when you are losing a DMR fight, while jetpack ruins the meaning of map control.

Lol at the guy who says people who play Arena aren’t good enough for MLG. They are damn near the same thing in Halo: Reach. The skill gap is very small compared to Halo 2/3.

> Agreed. Armor abilities have no place in Halo, period.

> I’m currently 3% Onyx and agree that Sprint and Jetpack should get the hell out already. Sprint is used as an escape tool when you are losing a DMR fight, while jetpack ruins the meaning of map control.

Indeed. And everyone who has ever reached single digit Onyx will agree.

A player on my list who was proclaimed by many to be a ‘jet pack hero’ in Arena has retired from Reach because of how little skill it takes. He started using jet pack as a joke and then realized you could use it to ruin any good map.

Thank you OP for at least being reasonable. there are many on this forum who are petitioning for a copy and paste job of Halo 2. I personally belueve there should be a few raked playlists. And if AA’s do make it in to a ranked playlist, they should be pick ups. My ranked playlists would be.

Team Classic ( No AA’s, just the way you like it)

Team Slayer ( AA’s on map)

Team Swat

Team Snipers

MLG ( obviously very competitive, not determined by 343 so unknown if AA’s will be in)

Team Objective ( AA’s on map)

Lone Wolves ( No AA’s, it would ruin balance in an FFA game)

So in my opinion some ranked playlists should have no AA’s. And some should have them as pick ups. Then in certain playlists you can spawn with your armor ability.

Also don’t be afraid of the AA’s on map. Active Camo, and Armor Lock are going to be removed. And OS/AC return as powerups. Things like jetpack, hologram, etc. are pick ups. You need to remember that most of the frustration with jetpack is that people get it and fly straight up in the air and it messes with map control. But if jetpack becomes a pick up, it means you lose it when you die. So if someone gets the jetpack and flys straight up in the air, they are pretty much wasting it. Now instead of everybody flying straight up in the air at spawn. Its just one person you need to worry about and when they die it has too go through the spawn cycle. It will teach people to use it wisely, not stupidely.

> Thank you OP for at least being reasonable. there are many on this forum who are petitioning for a copy and paste job of Halo 2. I personally belueve there should be a few raked playlists. And if AA’s do make it in to a ranked playlist, they should be pick ups.

I completely agree with making armor abilities available for pick-up on the maps. They could function as power weapons/power ups just like equipment in Halo 3 as long as they are placed strategically.

The only problem I have with armor abilities is that you spawn with them. No one complained when active camouflage and overshields were power ups. Giving everyone camo or an overshield at the start of the game on the other hand is a terrible idea.