No option to directly DL from site browser.

Could one of you lovely monkeys from 343i tell me who did that? We have to add gametypes and map variants to our fileshare and THEN go into the game to get it from our fileshare.

I asked rukizzel on Twitter earlier, and the web team literally just spoke a ton of SQL to him, I’d highly appreciate knowing a reason why there is no download button for maps, gametypes & films, regardless of how it is explained, because this is one of the main reasons people want a file browser.

It surely can’t be a technical limitation as there is a download option for screenshots.

> I asked rukizzel on Twitter earlier, and the web team literally just spoke a ton of SQL to him, I’d highly appreciate knowing a reason why there is no download button for maps, gametypes & films, regardless of how it is explained, because this is one of the main reasons people want a file browser.
>
> It surely can’t be a technical limitation as there is a download option for screenshots.

to be fair, download to Xbox is WAY harder to do that download this screenshot to your computer.

downloading a pic to your computer is 2 systems talking to eachother: your computer and the server which holds the file share.

sending a file to Xbox is at LEAST 3 systems talking to eachother, probably 4. computer requests file sent to an Xbox, which is really to your username so that queues in through the xbox live service which sends the downloads the next time you log in with that user name. WAY more moving parts.

It’s also possible that because it deals with so many moving parts was delayed due to the SSL Certificate fail of last friday and thus them not being able to test or impliment anything.

Something like that. Though as it stands, without an official reason from 343i, it’s just another downgrade from Reach.

> > I asked rukizzel on Twitter earlier, and the web team literally just spoke a ton of SQL to him, I’d highly appreciate knowing a reason why there is no download button for maps, gametypes & films, regardless of how it is explained, because this is one of the main reasons people want a file browser.
> >
> > It surely can’t be a technical limitation as there is a download option for screenshots.
>
> to be fair, download to Xbox is WAY harder to do that download this screenshot to your computer.
>
> downloading a pic to your computer is 2 systems talking to eachother: your computer and the server which holds the file share.
>
> sending a file to Xbox is at LEAST 3 systems talking to eachother, probably 4. computer requests file sent to an Xbox, which is really to your username so that queues in through the xbox live service which sends the downloads the next time you log in with that user name. WAY more moving parts.
>
> It’s also possible that because it deals with so many moving parts was delayed due to the SSL Certificate fail of last friday and thus them not being able to test or impliment anything.

I mean there is an option to download screenshots to your Xbox 360 from the file browser.

Sorry for not being clear enough <3

This issue really needs to be addressed.

Personally, my file share has been completely full from the second or third month of Halo 3. Most of the items in there are linked in various forums and elsewhere so removing files, even temporarily, breaks links.

During the Cartographer’s last forge contest i had to download over 400 maps. Imaging how difficult that would have been if i had to copy each one to my file share, then go into the game to save, then delete each file to make room for the next one, 400 times!

I imaging doing the same in Halo 4 would be more time consuming than figuring out how to get a proper download feature to function, considering it works fine in the Halo Reach section of this site.

Seconding this.

I can’t imagine a technical, or even a business related reason for this.

Never mind downloading to your xbox. I want to download my file share videos onto my PC for editing and montage making, will this be made possible do you guys think?

So let me get this straight…it took them THIS long to ship out the waypoint fileshare system and its WORSE then previous versions?

I thought that with it taking THIS long to come out there would be something awesome, some new feature that would blow our minds.

Instead we cant even do that main thing that a web fileshare system is used for, adding a file to our download queue on from browser to xbox.

Poor poor work 343, did bungie not give you all their previous code?

> Never mind downloading to your xbox. I want to download my file share videos onto my PC for editing and montage making, will this be made possible do you guys think?

Halo “films” are not made up of video information. They are actually a record of the game settings and button pushes, which are then recreated in game when you watch the film on your xbox. This is evident because you can stop the film and move the camera around and switch views between players. You can’t do that on a normal video file.

This distinction can confuse people because you could watch videos on Bungie’s Halo 3 and ODST sites. In their case they had a service where they captured (for a fee) your game video on servers running the game code.

In order to watch game films on your PC 343 would have to provide a PC version of the game.

How did Bungie do it then?

> > Never mind downloading to your xbox. I want to download my file share videos onto my PC for editing and montage making, will this be made possible do you guys think?
>
> Halo “films” are not made up of video information. They are actually a record of the game settings and button pushes, which are then recreated in game when you watch the film on your xbox. This is evident because you can stop the film and move the camera around and switch views between players. You can’t do that on a normal video file.
>
> This distinction can confuse people because you could watch videos on Bungie’s Halo 3 and ODST sites. In their case they had a service where they captured (for a fee) your game video on servers running the game code.
>
> In order to watch game films on your PC 343 would have to provide a PC version of the game.

Nice explanation. So what I need to to is bypass waypoint all together because it’s bollocks and shell out for a PVR if I want to do this. Hopefully the next Halo will have a stream/upload to youtube option like some other games around already have.

It’s a shame 343i took this long to roll-out a broken out of date system.

It’s coming