No new footage is a good thing

Okay, so no new footage of campaign is a really good thing, why? because its always best to experience it all first hand and not getting a pre-conveyed thoughts of the campaign through marketing.

I really feel half of the issues in the gaming industry are to many story beats given in teasers and trailers. In saying that I feel we should get the same demo viewing however with the graphic increase to show us how far it truly has come.

I couldn’t agree more, would love to see more multiplayer though.

Well comparing what you said to Halo 5 makes sense but only because 343 and -Yoink!- just went into a totally other direction with the marketing than the game’s story. Like “hunt the Truth” or whatever it was called, “Biggest hunt in Videogame history”, if I’m correcnt. Well that big hunt was just about 4 missions long with one or two of those being just talking before the campaign got more kinda rescue chief story.

But watching Deliver Hope [makes a full grown man still cry] or Halo Landfall [Halo Reach & Halo 3 marketing trailer] made me want to explore this story even more and what can I say, the story was awesome. Same with the live-action trailer and general marketing of Halo 3 ODST, was also awesome.

When I saw some Halo Reach campaign gameplay I was hyped and when I played the story I was just blasted, like I knew I was one of those Spartans that would be killed, but still trying to give the covenant so much losses as possible. The footage of Halo Reach campaign really want me to fight the -Yoink!-’ Xenos until the murder-killing spree against Reach by the covies was revenged.

If the story is really awesome, then hell why not showing footage? H3/ODST/Reach rocked the stuff. Halo 5 was a mess as it’s best and - as 343 would say - they learned from their mistakes lol [don’t think that tbh].

It’s of course cool to see that the graphic got better and better - especially when you compare the gameplay back from 2020 to today [a joke that they wanted to release it last year] - but graphic is saying literally nothing about the story. The story can still be bad af, and I prefer games with less graphic quality but awesome story over games with high graphic quality but poor/bad story.

> 2533274801036271;2:
> I couldn’t agree more, would love to see more multiplayer though.

More multiplayer 100% - that should never stop coming, one clip a week until launch.

> 2533274861263132;3:
> Well comparing what you said to Halo 5 makes sense but only because 343 and -Yoink!- just went into a totally other direction with the marketing than the game’s story. Like “hunt the Truth” or whatever it was called, “Biggest hunt in Videogame history”, if I’m correcnt. Well that big hunt was just about 4 missions long with one or two of those being just talking before the campaign got more kinda rescue chief story.
>
> But watching Deliver Hope [makes a full grown man still cry] or Halo Landfall [Halo Reach & Halo 3 marketing trailer] made me want to explore this story even more and what can I say, the story was awesome. Same with the live-action trailer and general marketing of Halo 3 ODST, was also awesome.
>
> When I saw some Halo Reach campaign gameplay I was hyped and when I played the story I was just blasted, like I knew I was one of those Spartans that would be killed, but still trying to give the covenant so much losses as possible. The footage of Halo Reach campaign really want me to fight the -Yoink!-’ Xenos until the murder-killing spree against Reach by the covies was revenged.
>
> If the story is really awesome, then hell why not showing footage? H3/ODST/Reach rocked the stuff. Halo 5 was a mess as it’s best and - as 343 would say - they learned from their mistakes lol [don’t think that tbh].
>
> It’s of course cool to see that the graphic got better and better - especially when you compare the gameplay back from 2020 to today [a joke that they wanted to release it last year] - but graphic is saying literally nothing about the story. The story can still be bad af, and I prefer games with less graphic quality but awesome story over games with high graphic quality but poor/bad story.

I follow with that you’re saying and I agree on the topic of Halo 5 (While I liked the campaign) the marketing was horrid, with zero follow through about chief and his past with hunt the truth, great to listen to however ultimately a waste of my time.

The next part I speak from a position of knowledge coming from a marketing role. I feel Infinite would benefit a lot from Halo 2’s general marketing direction, all of it was basically not in the campaign and was made to hype the player (because the game wasn’t ready until like a month before release from memory) so all players got was a sense of how awesome chief is and is going to be inside his new suit (design at the time) So, Infinite should focus on a hype campaign, snippets of chief kicking absolute -Yoink- that don’t tie to the story, it’s just hyping.

Leaving the story to the player to actually experience is key to ensure they go in with a clean slate outside of their own theory’s.

> 2533275030042825;5:
> > 2533274861263132;3:
> >
>
> I follow with that you’re saying and I agree on the topic of Halo 5 (While I liked the campaign) the marketing was horrid, with zero follow through about chief and his past with hunt the truth, great to listen to however ultimately a waste of my time.
>
> The next part I speak from a position of knowledge coming from a marketing role. I feel Infinite would benefit a lot from Halo 2’s general marketing direction, all of it was basically not in the campaign and was made to hype the player (because the game wasn’t ready until like a month before release from memory) so all players got was a sense of how awesome chief is and is going to be inside his new suit (design at the time) So, Infinite should focus on a hype campaign, snippets of chief kicking absolute -Yoink- that don’t tie to the story, it’s just hyping.
>
> Leaving the story to the player to actually experience is key to ensure they go in with a clean slate outside of their own theory’s.

Could be good yes. But the thing is, when we talk now about Halo 2 [was a horrible crunch project, readed some interviews about that] I don#t think that this is, for the time now, not the best way.
2004 was a totally different from 2021, where people really want to see more and more. On the one side, showing none campaign footage could lead to more and more confusing and a bad feeling about the game. Of course, when the story is really awesome, yes than 343 got really, really lucky, at least in this part. On the other side, when we actually can see something like campaign footage, we might can enlight our little fire for Halo Infinite more.

> 2533274861263132;6:
> > 2533275030042825;5:
> > > 2533274861263132;3:
> > >
> >
> > I follow with that you’re saying and I agree on the topic of Halo 5 (While I liked the campaign) the marketing was horrid, with zero follow through about chief and his past with hunt the truth, great to listen to however ultimately a waste of my time.
> >
> > The next part I speak from a position of knowledge coming from a marketing role. I feel Infinite would benefit a lot from Halo 2’s general marketing direction, all of it was basically not in the campaign and was made to hype the player (because the game wasn’t ready until like a month before release from memory) so all players got was a sense of how awesome chief is and is going to be inside his new suit (design at the time) So, Infinite should focus on a hype campaign, snippets of chief kicking absolute -Yoink- that don’t tie to the story, it’s just hyping.
> >
> > Leaving the story to the player to actually experience is key to ensure they go in with a clean slate outside of their own theory’s.
>
> Could be good yes. But the thing is, when we talk now about Halo 2 [was a horrible crunch project, readed some interviews about that] I don#t think that this is, for the time now, not the best way.
> 2004 was a totally different from 2021, where people really want to see more and more. On the one side, showing none campaign footage could lead to more and more confusing and a bad feeling about the game. Of course, when the story is really awesome, yes than 343 got really, really lucky, at least in this part. On the other side, when we actually can see something like campaign footage, we might can enlight our little fire for Halo Infinite more.

Yeah Halo 2 was a crazy crunch game simply because they didn’t know where they wanted it to go for quite some time.

Yes 2021 is different and people do want to see more, as we mentioned seeing more isn’t always a good thing, it will give away to many story beats and removes excitement for those moments, especially already knowing we’re going to win.
Leave pre-orders to the side and let the campaign show people why they need to purchase the game when the player base are happy with the campaign.

Show us an updated version of the already seen demo to show us what is capable and maybe 5 more minutes of general campaign gameplay and leave it at that, then show nothing other than multiplayer allowing the player to get hyped.

343’s had a pretty rough time with halo. We want to see they have learned and improved.

We want to see the merits of open world halo.

> 2533275030042825;7:
> > 2533274861263132;6:
> > > 2533275030042825;5:
> > > > 2533274861263132;3:
> > > >
> >
> > Could be good yes. But the thing is, when we talk now about Halo 2 [was a horrible crunch project, readed some interviews about that] I don#t think that this is, for the time now, not the best way.
> > 2004 was a totally different from 2021, where people really want to see more and more. On the one side, showing none campaign footage could lead to more and more confusing and a bad feeling about the game. Of course, when the story is really awesome, yes than 343 got really, really lucky, at least in this part. On the other side, when we actually can see something like campaign footage, we might can enlight our little fire for Halo Infinite more.
>
> Yeah Halo 2 was a crazy crunch game simply because they didn’t know where they wanted it to go for quite some time.
>
> Yes 2021 is different and people do want to see more, as we mentioned seeing more isn’t always a good thing, it will give away to many story beats and removes excitement for those moments, especially already knowing we’re going to win.
> Leave pre-orders to the side and let the campaign show people why they need to purchase the game when the player base are happy with the campaign.
>
> Show us an updated version of the already seen demo to show us what is capable and maybe 5 more minutes of general campaign gameplay and leave it at that, then show nothing other than multiplayer allowing the player to get hyped.

I’m totally against that Multiplayer only hypekick. It’s especially with the size of the Halo Franchise more important to show footage of the campaign.
Like when I saw the footage from Reach [of course, everyone knew we gonna die] I still hoped for everyone to make it out alive. They showed the first part of Long night of Solace and I got neraly 0% idea of that the other exciting and in general other special moments in that campaign would be.

> 2533274861263132;9:
> > 2533275030042825;7:
> > > 2533274861263132;6:
> > > > 2533275030042825;5:
> > > > > 2533274861263132;3:
> > > > >
> > >
> > > Could be good yes. But the thing is, when we talk now about Halo 2 [was a horrible crunch project, readed some interviews about that] I don#t think that this is, for the time now, not the best way.
> > > 2004 was a totally different from 2021, where people really want to see more and more. On the one side, showing none campaign footage could lead to more and more confusing and a bad feeling about the game. Of course, when the story is really awesome, yes than 343 got really, really lucky, at least in this part. On the other side, when we actually can see something like campaign footage, we might can enlight our little fire for Halo Infinite more.
> >
> > Yeah Halo 2 was a crazy crunch game simply because they didn’t know where they wanted it to go for quite some time.
> >
> > Yes 2021 is different and people do want to see more, as we mentioned seeing more isn’t always a good thing, it will give away to many story beats and removes excitement for those moments, especially already knowing we’re going to win.
> > Leave pre-orders to the side and let the campaign show people why they need to purchase the game when the player base are happy with the campaign.
> >
> > Show us an updated version of the already seen demo to show us what is capable and maybe 5 more minutes of general campaign gameplay and leave it at that, then show nothing other than multiplayer allowing the player to get hyped.
>
> I’m totally against that Multiplayer only hypekick. It’s especially with the size of the Halo Franchise more important to show footage of the campaign.
> Like when I saw the footage from Reach [of course, everyone knew we gonna die] I still hoped for everyone to make it out alive. They showed the first part of Long night of Solace and I got neraly 0% idea of that the other exciting and in general other special moments in that campaign would be.

This is where I feel we’re our ideas are very different which is half the battle for 343 right.

Multiplayer is a massive part of gaming in 2021, not having a hype train behind it is a massive problem especially when they plan on promoting E-Sports, 343/Microsoft clearly want it to be big, so we need to see way more of it.

In relation to Halo Reach in 2010, I was 18 and wasn’t to well versed in Halo lore, for me I was confused - we have more Spartans now? so this is in the future, we’re making them again without knowing the history of Reach, then I notice new vehicles + species. For me it was everything after Halo 3, until I saw the ending and Cortana I was so confused. On top of that the trailer almost showed a snippet from every single cut scene it left nothing to my imagination. Which is why for years I hated the campaign of Reach and only recently has my opinion changed. I’ve played Halo since CE 2001 and was still confused with Reach.

So, the lesson? Less revelling of the story and let people experience the campaign to truly get immersed instead of consistency thinking, hey I saw this in the trailer. Although admittedly the trailer has done a very good job and defining the time period we’re playing in compared to Reach. All we need is general gameplay of the open world.

> 2533275030042825;1:
> Okay, so no new footage of campaign is a really good thing, why? because its always best to experience it all first hand and not getting a pre-conveyed thoughts of the campaign through marketing.
>
> I really feel half of the issues in the gaming industry are to many story beats given in teasers and trailers. In saying that I feel we should get the same demo viewing however with the graphic increase to show us how far it truly has come.

Completely agree! I want to experience the content first hand rather than trailer. Maybe a teaser but nothing more for the future.
I feel like prior trailers for other games have had an impact on how I would approach that section of the game (almost recreating as what was shown in the trailer).

> 2533274809038591;11:
> > 2533275030042825;1:
> > Okay, so no new footage of campaign is a really good thing, why? because its always best to experience it all first hand and not getting a pre-conveyed thoughts of the campaign through marketing.
> >
> > I really feel half of the issues in the gaming industry are to many story beats given in teasers and trailers. In saying that I feel we should get the same demo viewing however with the graphic increase to show us how far it truly has come.
>
> Completely agree! I want to experience the content first hand rather than trailer. Maybe a teaser but nothing more for the future.
> I feel like prior trailers for other games have had an impact on how I would approach that section of the game (almost recreating as what was shown in the trailer).

Not only does it impact on how you would approach a section of the game it will also impact on how you believe the story is going to do and potentially incorrectly hype you for something caused by an editor.

Yeah. The footage will come soon. We just need to wait.

I’m not asking for story footage (frankly I’m not asking for anything because I know 343 won’t do anything to appease me or anyone else no matter how hard I stomp my feet), what I want to see before I commit to purchasing anything is spoiler free gameplay; show fights with grunts, jackals, and brutes with the BR, AR, and warthog (no spoilers or implied story lines there, we already know these things will be there).
More than this I want to know the mechanics of the campaign. Like what does 343 mean when they say the game is “open world” but not like a “traditional open world game”? How does travel work? Is there a progression or upgrade component? Can we revisit old missions, or would that require a full game restart? Is that even an important question to ask?? We know so little about campaign gameplay that nobody even knows what to ask, and it is frustrating to those of us who care about the campaign gameplay.

> 2533274866989456;14:
> I’m not asking for story footage (frankly I’m not asking for anything because I know 343 won’t do anything to appease me or anyone else no matter how hard I stomp my feet), what I want to see before I commit to purchasing anything is spoiler free gameplay; show fights with grunts, jackals, and brutes with the BR, AR, and warthog (no spoilers or implied story lines there, we already know these things will be there).
> More than this I want to know the mechanics of the campaign. Like what does 343 mean when they say the game is “open world” but not like a “traditional open world game”? How does travel work? Is there a progression or upgrade component? Can we revisit old missions, or would that require a full game restart? Is that even an important question to ask?? We know so little about campaign gameplay that nobody even knows what to ask, and it is frustrating to those of us who care about the campaign gameplay.

I can get behind this 100% I like this, stay away from any story beats but still cover the mechanics on how its going to work.

I feel like if you don’t want to see footage to avoid story beats then you could just not watch the trailers. I’ve done that. The only campaign gameplay available right now made Halo Infinite a meme. They should definitely show so new footage. They don’t have to show story beats. Can’t they just show how this is a different campaign from the others? A clip of the player attacking a random banished camp, the upgrade system, or encountering a banished patrol while traveling the free roam area. None of that would ruin the story while still giving people some campaign footage. I think any new campaign gameplay we get should be different from the e3 2020 demo. That footage looks like something I could see in a typical halo campaign. Let’s see something new. Anyone that doesn’t want to spoil the surprise can just not watch the trailer.

Two issues… one is not spoiling the narrative (or locking 343 against last minute changes). This is a good reason to not show any campaign footage.

The second is that we want to see how far we’ve progressed since the let down last year (all the pop in and bad texture / lighting). They kind of addressed this with a brief camera drift across the ring at E3 (in particular they showed off a flying vehicle with a smooth flight path). But it would good to get a little more.

> 2585548714655118;17:
> Two issues… one is not spoiling the narrative (or locking 343 against last minute changes). This is a good reason to not show any campaign footage.
>
> The second is that we want to see how far we’ve progressed since the let down last year (all the pop in and bad texture / lighting). They kind of addressed this with a brief camera drift across the ring at E3 (in particular they showed off a flying vehicle with a smooth flight path). But it would good to get a little more.

Easy to address, release an updated version of the 2020 demo showing us the advancements its made.

I can understand the position but I do not agree.
New footage could just be that one area shown again with no edits to give us an indication of progress. Instead its hard not to be worried.
Forge, coop and rtx are all still Mia so what else might be not there at launch? Thats the worry for me now and I’ve lost all confidence in the launch product.
I do not blame the devs for this either in case I’m accused of just hating.
The info we get makes it feel more and more appropriate that I severely drop expectation to avoid disappointment.

Feels like this sentiment of not seeing much is also somewhat bolstered by the bad taste marketing caused with halo5 where the fans felt mislead and the hunt the truth narrative had no impact despite being the best halo 5 guardians material in terms of writting and delivery.

I totally agree that they shouldn’t show any more story beats, regardless of the situation. But in a perfect world, I would like to see a montage of campaign gameplay moments without context. That being said, if I have to choose between that and making sure they can finish on time, of course I’ll choose making sure they finish on time.