No more theories? [Precursors]

Most of you will probably recall how active this forum was in the build up to Halo 4, and I’m not sure if it can be attributed to the “failure” of said game, but even despite the release of Silentium, everything’s really quiet now.
Perhaps Halo’s entered the quiet preiod between games, perhaps all the theories about the Precursors and Cortana returning, etc. are kind of burnt out. Perhaps all the interesting people have left. All I ever see now is redundant debates on Spartan IV’s and Halo v [Alternate Universe].

I suppose the point of this is that following Silentium I was really looking forward to hearing everybody’s predictions on Halo 5, the forerunner Saga, Kilo 5, etc.

So… Are the Precursors still in for Halo 5?

The problem is that, we don’t know anything about the events after Halo 4. Its unknown where 343i will take us; also after reading the book, we kinda know quite a bit about the precursors. There really are few things left to talk about.

Things are either well known, or so ‘pie in the sky’ that its sort of hard to have a serious discussion on it.

Halo 4 sadly didn’t really expand lore much beyond what was already known months before it came out, so its all been kind of discussed to death.

It generally takes a second game to open up and expand everything.

People didn’t understand why the Didact was there in Halo 4, introducing Precursors who have zero mention in the games will confuse an average fan.

Maybe in 5 we’ll meet other forerunners who will tell us and explain (keyword 343) who they are and say they are returning, we fight Flood, Prometheans and Covenant for 5 and then in 6 the Precursors finally return so Humans, Prometheans (along with the Ur-Didact), Covenant Separatists, Covenant Loyalists (Brutes, Prophets), Covenant Remnant and remaining Forerunners (possibly led by the IsoDidact or a descendant of him)

The Flood are what’s left of the Precursors and we’ve fought them in four games. It shouldn’t take that much effort to explain that to the audience. A terminal or something like the Chief’s encounter with the Librarian AI could do the trick. They just have to start putting the Terminals in the game instead of making you go to Waypoint. If we encounter other living Forerunner, they can also explain or someone within ONI can explain because ONI is aware of the Precursors. They could even do both. We could learn about them from a Forerunner and then, oh snap, ONI knew all along.

Also the Gravemind was pretty much a Precursor if I understand right

> The Flood are what’s left of the Precursors and we’ve fought them in four games. It shouldn’t take that much effort to explain that to the audience. A terminal or something like the Chief’s encounter with the Librarian AI could do the trick. They just have to start putting the Terminals in the game instead of making you go to Waypoint. If we encounter other living Forerunner, they can also explain or someone within ONI can explain because ONI is aware of the Precursors. They could even do both. We could learn about them from a Forerunner and then, oh snap, ONI knew all along.

One terminal? To explain how/why the Precursors became the Flood and want to destroy all life?

We don’t want to make newcomers come out even more confused than before. If we rush all that information into one terminal or cutscene like the Librarian one, they can come out confused.

It should be gradually hinted and built up to. Then the viewers say “Oh!” as they form connections and understand the story at their pace.
And it should either be obviously located or not hidden at all. The problem with the Didact’s story in Halo 4 was that to understand it (newcomers) you had to find everything and then view it on Waypoint. Terminals should compliment or expand the story, not have to explain it.

> Also the Gravemind was pretty much a Precursor if I understand right

Though, the word “Precursor” or even a reference to beings higher than the Forerunners really hasn’t appeared in any game or book besides Forerunner Trilogy. Perhaps slightly in the Halo 3 Terminals, I forgot.

For anyone not familiar with the Forerunner Trilogy, a cutscene explaining the Precursors would still have been pulled out of thin air.

> > Also the Gravemind was pretty much a Precursor if I understand right
>
> Though, the word “Precursor” or even a reference to beings higher than the Forerunners really hasn’t appeared in any game or book besides Forerunner Trilogy. Perhaps slightly in the Halo 3 Terminals, I forgot.
>
>
> For anyone not familiar with the Forerunner Trilogy, a cutscene explaining the Precursors would still have been pulled out of thin air.

Yeah… I highly doubt we’ll see them, it would be nice if they get mentioned in Halo 5, since ONI is aware of them, but will we see them? I don’t think so

> One terminal? To explain how/why the Precursors became the Flood and want to destroy all life?

I hope that’s not where you stopped reading because I gave more than just a Terminal for examples. I also mentioned something akin to the Librarian A.I. or meeting an actual Forerunner in person who then explains what we need to know. Someone within ONI can also bring players up to speed considering they know a lot about them. They could also do a combination of all of those ideas.

> Also the Gravemind was pretty much a Precursor if I understand right

Silentium clears up the the TO was indeed a precursor with the being that captured the didact being a Gravemind. While the two are related “in a sense” they aren’t one in the same. The gravemind was somewhat aware of the Didact but it couldn’t understand what the domain was.

> > Also the Gravemind was pretty much a Precursor if I understand right
>
> Silentium clears up the the TO was indeed a precursor with the being that captured the didact being a Gravemind. While the two are related “in a sense” they aren’t one in the same. The gravemind was somewhat aware of the Didact but it couldn’t understand what the domain was.

Ok thanks :]