No map voting = less variety?

So this is just an odd topic. I recall an announcement that there would be no map voting in Halo 5 since most people pick the same maps in past Halo games with the voting (which IMO wasn’t true, it was usually a rotation of good maps, but not “just the same maps”). Ironically with my experience in Halo 5 it seems I’ve encountered far, far less map variety in Halo 5 than in past Halo games. Granted many of the maps are similar (or basically reskins of others <.<) but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I play on Riptide constantly to the point where I just don’t want to play the game. I played on Coliseum recently and until then forgot it even existed from lack of games played on it. Anyone else feel that not having a vote system is actually a bit detrimental to the variety and/or enjoyment in Arena multiplayer?

So. Much. Molten.

I think the real problem is the map designs being similar. All the arena maps feel the same to me. I prefer map rotation over a vote/veto system I just wish it was a strict rotation so if you wanted to keep rotating through all the maps don’t “back out” of matchmaking.

> 2533274796310130;1:
> So this is just an odd topic. I recall an announcement that there would be no map voting in Halo 5 since most people pick the same maps in past Halo games with the voting (which IMO wasn’t true, it was usually a rotation of good maps, but not “just the same maps”). Ironically with my experience in Halo 5 it seems I’ve encountered far, far less map variety in Halo 5 than in past Halo games. Granted many of the maps are similar (or basically reskins of others <.<) but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I play on Riptide constantly to the point where I just don’t want to play the game. I played on Coliseum recently and until then forgot it even existed from lack of games played on it. Anyone else feel that not having a vote system is actually a bit detrimental to the variety and/or enjoyment in Arena multiplayer?

You have to think in terms of the developer’s statistics, not just your experiences. they absolutely see the maps recycled endlessly, especially in the upper tiers of the skill spectrum… Some maps are just easier to spawn trap, control points, or capture flags with the right strategies.

I for one am happy with the “no voting” scheme 343i implemented.

Sorry your experience is that way. I find I get much better variety without voting. Most who complain about less variety are ones not staying in the lobby it seem and they restart the search.

> 2702159776439619;4:
> > 2533274796310130;1:
> > So this is just an odd topic. I recall an announcement that there would be no map voting in Halo 5 since most people pick the same maps in past Halo games with the voting (which IMO wasn’t true, it was usually a rotation of good maps, but not “just the same maps”). Ironically with my experience in Halo 5 it seems I’ve encountered far, far less map variety in Halo 5 than in past Halo games. Granted many of the maps are similar (or basically reskins of others <.<) but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I play on Riptide constantly to the point where I just don’t want to play the game. I played on Coliseum recently and until then forgot it even existed from lack of games played on it. Anyone else feel that not having a vote system is actually a bit detrimental to the variety and/or enjoyment in Arena multiplayer?
>
>
> You have to think in terms of the developer’s statistics, not just your experiences. they absolutely see the maps recycled endlessly, especially in the upper tiers of the skill spectrum… Some maps are just easier to spawn trap, control points, or capture flags with the right strategies.
>
> I for one am happy with the “no voting” scheme 343i implemented.

Well, did they actually post the statistics? Do they have them? They aren’t Bungie anymore. Regardless of that, while there are definitely maps that in a voting system that are favorites usually that is because it is a good map and worth playing above the others.

I am opposing voting, but I am for veto.

> 2533274796310130;6:
> > 2702159776439619;4:
> > > 2533274796310130;1:
> > > So this is just an odd topic. I recall an announcement that there would be no map voting in Halo 5 since most people pick the same maps in past Halo games with the voting (which IMO wasn’t true, it was usually a rotation of good maps, but not “just the same maps”). Ironically with my experience in Halo 5 it seems I’ve encountered far, far less map variety in Halo 5 than in past Halo games. Granted many of the maps are similar (or basically reskins of others <.<) but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I play on Riptide constantly to the point where I just don’t want to play the game. I played on Coliseum recently and until then forgot it even existed from lack of games played on it. Anyone else feel that not having a vote system is actually a bit detrimental to the variety and/or enjoyment in Arena multiplayer?
> >
> >
> > You have to think in terms of the developer’s statistics, not just your experiences. they absolutely see the maps recycled endlessly, especially in the upper tiers of the skill spectrum… Some maps are just easier to spawn trap, control points, or capture flags with the right strategies.
> >
> > I for one am happy with the “no voting” scheme 343i implemented.
>
>
> Well, did they actually post the statistics? Do they have them? They aren’t Bungie anymore. Regardless of that, while there are definitely maps that in a voting system that are favorites usually that is because it is a good map and worth playing above the others.

What in the world are you talking about? Of course 343i has stats on everything we can imagine, and then some… Not everyone wants to play the same maps over and over again… some people like the maps other detest, others simply like the variety of game modes and maps.

> 2533274796310130;1:
> So this is just an odd topic. I recall an announcement that there would be no map voting in Halo 5 since most people pick the same maps in past Halo games with the voting (which IMO wasn’t true, it was usually a rotation of good maps, but not “just the same maps”). Ironically with my experience in Halo 5 it seems I’ve encountered far, far less map variety in Halo 5 than in past Halo games. Granted many of the maps are similar (or basically reskins of others <.<) but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I play on Riptide constantly to the point where I just don’t want to play the game. I played on Coliseum recently and until then forgot it even existed from lack of games played on it. Anyone else feel that not having a vote system is actually a bit detrimental to the variety and/or enjoyment in Arena multiplayer?

People did always vote for the same maps. That is why I preferred the veto system. It would also be nice if there was a system in place where you just weren’t put onto the same map in consecutive games.

With voting you’ll only play a handful of maps (Like playing Adrift 7 out of 10 times in Halo 4). No thanks I’ll take my risks on something else.

> 2535456165221911;7:
> I am opposing voting, but I am for veto.

Agreed (for once lol). I want a veto system so we can downvote maps we don’t want. It still adds variety but not so the same maps are picked every time.

Voting was one of the worst things about multiplayer. All we played was BR’s on the same 2 maps, it was awful awful awful.

I wouldn’t mind if voting made a return in Halo 6. However, since many others would, and for the sake of two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner, I’d be fine if voting didn’t make a return. Though the veto system may work well enough as a compromise for both parties, I suppose.

Maybe Voting for the game mode in BTB instead of the map could turn out good. But I’d be sure strongholds would never be played only CTF and slayer, which in my opinion are way better than strongholds

A veto system is far superior to a vote system. Voting actually narrows the selection over time, whereas a veto throws away the first rotation and rolls the dice again. I think the Halo 3 system worked well. You took a chance vetoing (next map/game type combo might be worse) so it encouraged logic and restraint.

Map voting = the same maps over and over again, a clear example of this was Ragnarok in Halo 4. The issue is that some maps are programmed to come up more often than others, what each Halo game really needs is a veto system but even then it can still be abused.

How does the lack of voting/veto reduce variety? Voting just lets people choose the same map cough Haven cough over and over again whenever they so much as glimpse it as an option.

Hated the voting system in Reach and H4 always the same map ever single time. I prefered the veto system because sometimes you’d veto that map and gametype and the map would show up again with a different gametype.

I miss Halo 3’s veto system. Reach was okay with the vote system I never had any complaints

The MCC has 100+ maps and you always are stuck on the same 7 to 12 maps, voting is bad.
H5G just needs a lot more maps to extend it’s tiny rotation.