No incentive to win/play as a team.

As long as your K/D and score is good, it doesn’t matter if you win or lose because the point bonus for winning is negligible.

I think it’s odd that they added all sorts of supporting ways to get points, but then make actually helping your team to victory yield such a “meh” reward.

This is the kind of mentality ruining halo. It’s not about getting points. The its about winning and raising your skill ranks. While they do not have the skill rank in now, they will, you can still play to win.

Perhaps it is just my personality and the fact that I am a nice guy that just wants to help his teammates, but for me I will do what ever is most beneficial for the team. Things such as trading out the sniper rifle to teammates that are better with it than me. Never sitting back and allowing a teammate to engage the enemy on his own than sweeping in at the last minute trying to get a cheap kill. All these things add up to the fact I have a ton of assist, and have won more than 60% of the games I have played despite my 1.22 K/D, because I would rather be the 4th place player that contributed on the winning team, the the 1st place player on the losing side.

> This is the kind of mentality ruining halo. It’s not about getting points. The its about winning and raising your skill ranks. While they do not have the skill rank in now, they will, you can still play to win.

Is there anything except the paltry 300 point bonus as a reward for winning? My current understanding is that there is not.

If this is what is ruining Halo, I’d ask why is it the developers thought it was a good idea to give incentive to this gaming ruining behavior?

I’m not sure how a new skill ranking system would work, and once implemented would be it be retroactive to the current game win/loss ratio? Or would it start fresh?

I completely agree, as soon as skill ranks disappeared and credit/exp was introduced, focus switched on team playing to solo playing accordingly. Now since a rank is no longer existent, k/d is the only measure of skill someone may have, hence the reason people hold it much more significantly in this game than previous ones.

> Perhaps it is just my personality and the fact that I am a nice guy that just wants to help his teammates, but for me I will do what ever is most beneficial for the team. Things such as trading out the sniper rifle to teammates that are better with it than me. Never sitting back and allowing a teammate to engage the enemy on his own than sweeping in at the last minute trying to get a cheap kill. All these things add up to the fact I have a ton of assist, and have won more than 60% of the games I have played despite my 1.22 K/D, because I would rather be the 4th place player that contributed on the winning team, the the 1st place player on the losing side.

That’s how I was in Reach 100%. I’m not a very skilled player, my strength lied in my ability to not die a lot while supporting the team. Often times I’d have the least kills on the team but I would die the least as well.

It was always funny to get fussed at by the guy that had 20 kills when I had 9-10 while he had 25 deaths and I had 5 lol.

But my point is that now there just doesn’t seem to be a lot of incentive for this type of gameplay, as helping the team to victory doesn’t really benefit everyone that much.

I’m not so much advocating, “There needs to be incentives for being nice,” but rather, “There needs to be more of a consequence for not working as a team.”

Right now you can reap the most reward just playing 100% for your own score. I want that to change.

There are commendations for winning games & for completing objectives - those add up to some beefy XP bonuses.

Reward? The dopamine rush to the brain. Having a good time with friends.

Idk how the rank system would be implemented but honestly don’t care either way, just put it in soon.

What we really need is mic only search features, opt out join in game, rank, maybe even a special Armor you only get to keep with a certain win ratio.

Everything but that last one would make a great environment for teamwork making friends online etc.

This is the worst par tof the game by far. Oddball, KotH, CTF, and more are ruined because 3/4 or 4/4 players will hang back and not play the specified gametype and only go for kills. It’s fine when you are on the other team and you go 5-0, or 150-20 or wehatever, but when you are matched with 2-3 jerks who are there for k/d ratio and not to play the gametype they chose and you’re going 12-26 trying to hold the hill by yourself… awful.

> Reward? The dopamine rush to the brain. Having a good time with friends.

My friends aren’t playing that much because of a lack of dedicated Snipers and Swat modes :(. That’s what we played like 90% of the time and not having the ability to alternate between those two modes has us not playing nearly as much.

> There are commendations for winning games & for completing objectives - those add up to some beefy XP bonuses.

That’s cool, but on average you’ll get to those anyways. On a game to game basis there’s a lot less excitement to get that win than there used to be.

> This is the worst par tof the game by far. Oddball, KotH, CTF, and more are ruined because 3/4 or 4/4 players will hang back and not play the specified gametype and only go for kills. It’s fine when you are on the other team and you go 5-0, or 150-20 or wehatever, but when you are matched with 2-3 jerks who are there for k/d ratio and not to play the gametype they chose and you’re going 12-26 trying to hold the hill by yourself… awful.

Agreed. Objective games should have their own K/D stats, or none at all preferably.

I agree with the needs for incentives for playing as a team. It seems way to often I will have teammates that stay crouched and hidden during a fire fight waiting for the outcome so they can sweep in and get the kill instead of helping. Many times had the teammate just helped we could have killed them both and would have been +20 instead they waited for the easy kill and we walk out of that situation even, but hey, as long as their K/D is good I take it it is all they care about.

> > There are commendations for winning games & for completing objectives - those add up to some beefy XP bonuses.
>
> That’s cool, but on average you’ll get to those anyways. On a game to game basis there’s a lot less excitement to get that win than there used to be.

Well, no. Not as far as objective goes any way. If you’re just running around killing people in CTF you’re never going to win, and you’re never going to get those commendations.

I understand, I’m saddened by my friends lack of enthusiasm now that we are all older and responsibilities and bleh. My advice would be to talk to anyone with a mic, leave one in always, and party up often.

And swat has been in for weeks now and doesn’t look to be leaving really.

If everyone on your team has a positive K/D for the game, then the other team lost.

> Well, no. Not as far as objective goes any way. If you’re just running around killing people in CTF you’re never going to win, and you’re never going to get those commendations.

Oh yeah for sure, which is why I don’t do objective games unless I have a group of at least 2-3 other friends who I can communicate with.

> I understand, I’m saddened by my friends lack of enthusiasm now that we are all older and responsibilities and bleh. My advice would be to talk to anyone with a mic, leave one in always, and party up often.
>
> And swat has been in for weeks now and doesn’t look to be leaving really.

I hope it stays, but a lack of snipers is actually keeping one of my friends from even purchasing the game and he’s the one that got me playing Halo more than just a few times a month. If they’d bring Snipers in and confirm their intent to keep Swat in we’d all be a lot happier :).

> If everyone on your team has a positive K/D for the game, then the other team lost.

Couldn’t be more wrong… Especially not in certain gametypes…

I’ve gone like -20 trying to hold the hill by myself in games where the rest of my team is off doing God knows what - crouching in corners in camo trying to get assassinations. Likewise gone something like -20 in Oddball trying to hold the ball because all 3 of my teammates would stand around the ball, leaving it on the floor instead of picking it up because they would rather get kills than win the game.

TC, what WOULD incentivize you to play?

A meaningless rank like Inheritor?

More meaningless armor permutations?

A 1-50 skill system whose integrity becomes nullified when 12 year olds start buying their 50s off of Ebay? Which becomes a joke when people start deranking to create booster accounts? Most of my 50 friends said that Lv50 gameplay was still easy, and that there should’ve been a higher level to achieve. In other words, just because you hit 50, it doesn’t mean you’re actually as good as the other Lv 50s, just that you’ve hit the max rank.

More exp in winning matches, so you could hit your meaningless ranks quicker?

A leaderboard that you strive to climb, but like virtually every leaderboard becomes hacked and has its integrity ruined?

What the hell do you want? People keep asserting that there are no incentives, but in game incentives were never worth anything in the first place, they just have whatever arbitrary value YOU randomly assign to them.

If you think the game is fun, play it so that you keep having fun. If you don’t think H4 is fun, then go look elsewhere until you find something that is fun.

FUN should be your incentive, not these other meaningless things which have become the industry norm.

A start would be to regard W/L as a measure of skill instead of K/D.

> TC, what WOULD incentivize you to play?
>
> A meaningless rank like Inheritor?
>
> More meaningless armor permutations?
>
> A 1-50 skill system whose integrity becomes nullified when 12 year olds start buying their 50s off of Ebay? Which becomes a joke when people start deranking to create booster accounts? Most of my 50 friends said that Lv50 gameplay was still easy, and that there should’ve been a higher level to achieve. In other words, just because you hit 50, it doesn’t mean you’re actually as good as the other Lv 50s, just that you’ve hit the max rank.
>
> More exp in winning matches, so you could hit your meaningless ranks quicker?
>
> A leaderboard that you strive to climb, but like virtually every leaderboard becomes hacked and has its integrity ruined?
>
> What the hell do you want? People keep asserting that there are no incentives, but in game incentives were never worth anything in the first place, they just have whatever arbitrary value YOU randomly assign to them.
>
> If you think the game is fun, play it so that you keep having fun. If you don’t think H4 is fun, then go look elsewhere until you find something that is fun.
>
> FUN should be your incentive, not these other meaningless things which have become the industry norm.

I agree with this, but my argument still stands. I don’t care about the “incentive” as a reward, but more as “you chose this gametype, now play it!”

CTF, KoTH, Oddball, etc. are NO FUN when half to 3/4 of your team chooses NOT to participate. Instead they use the other teams focus on the ACTUAL OBJECTIVE to bolster their own assassinations/KD ratios. It’s infuriating to watch 3 people on your team purposefully avoid picking up the ball, or standing 50 yards back shooting at the hill but NEVER approaching it.

I realize there is no way to combat this but it’s simply an annoyance.

That’s the thing though.The only incentive I need for winning is winning.