No Hitmarkers in Campaign

In Multiplayer, I am fine with hitmarkers. As Halo 5’s multiplayer is a simulation, it would make sense for SPARTANs to have some sort of indication to know their bullets hit. The change I would like for hitmarkers in Multiplayer, however, is that the audio sound effect for the hitmarker be completely removed. The hitmarker sound effect is redundant, clutters the sound of gameplay, and interferes with weapon firing sounds. Hitmarkers in Multiplayer should only be visual, and not have any kind of audio cue.

Regarding Campaign, I feel HUD hitmarkers in any shape or form (visual indications on the HUD or sound effects to indicate hits) should be completely absent. However, there could be “hitmarkers” in Campaign, like blood coming from enemies, enemies flinching when shot, enemy shields reacting, etc. I just think the player’s HUD (Heads Up Display) should have no kind of hitmarker in Campaign.

I think this for three reasons.

  1. The absence of hitmarkers in Campaign could differentiate gameplay between Campaign and multiplayer.

  2. Hitmarkers in Campaign would reduce the immersion of the Campaign. If there were no hitmarkers (visual “X’s” displayed on the HUD or sound effects for a hit) in Campaign, the Campaign would be more immersive and more realistic.

  3. Discount this if you will, because this point is a matter of lore. Imagine the technology needed for HUD hitmarkers. Each bullet fired from a weapon or each grenade thrown would need to have some kind of electronic chip or device that would relay information back to the helmet: whether the bullet or grenade hit or not. Also, the bullet or grenade shrapnel would need to distinguish if it hit an enemy, hit a part of the environment, or never hit at all. This would involve a huge increase in ammunition costs. Or, the helmet optics would have to track and assess each bullet fired from a weapon or each grenade thrown, determining if the bullet or grenade shrapnel hit an enemy, a part of the environment, or never hit anything. This would simply be a misallocation of resources and technology. HUD hitmarkers would be extremely hard to achieve in a real-life combat zone.

In summary, I think Campaign should have no hitmarkers of any kind (a visual indication on the HUD or an audio cue provided by the helmet), and Multiplayer should only have visual hitmarkers (an indication on the HUD) and no sound effect for hitmarkers.

As there will likely be invisible enemies in the campaign I think it makes the most sense to have them in campaign opposed to multiplayer lol. Also 343i tries to make the gameplay seamless between single player and multiplayer, so I don’t think your first point would sway the developers minds.

This is one of those times where I have to say gameplay > lore. I like hitmarkers, I like consistency across modes. In my opinion, there’s no good reason to remove them.

For the reasons I explained in the original post, I just thought there shouldn’t be hitmarkers in Campaign because of the kind of technology needed for HUD displayed hitmarkers.

Why do you need gameplay to differentiate between campaign and multiplayer?

I like the Halo 5 hitmarkers though.

I’d like to see it in Online campaign. Local Splitscreen shouldnt have it as it is simply dependant on the box and disc (or harddrive). Online can lag a bit and having it there would be appropriate.

I like the hit markers but we can do away with the sound effect.

> 2533274976643293;1:
> In Multiplayer, I am fine with hitmarkers. As Halo 5’s multiplayer is a simulation, it would make sense for SPARTANs to have some sort of indication to know their bullets hit. The change I would like for hitmarkers in Multiplayer, however, is that the audio sound effect for the hitmarker be completely removed. The hitmarker sound effect is redundant, clutters the sound of gameplay, and interferes with weapon firing sounds. Hitmarkers in Multiplayer should only be visual, and not have any kind of audio cue.
>
> Regarding Campaign, I feel HUD hitmarkers in any shape or form (visual indications on the HUD or sound effects to indicate hits) should be completely absent. However, there could be “hitmarkers” in Campaign, like blood coming from enemies, enemies flinching when shot, enemy shields reacting, etc. I just think the player’s HUD (Heads Up Display) should have no kind of hitmarker in Campaign.
>
> I think this for two reasons. 1) The absence of hitmarkers in Campaign could differentiate gameplay between Campaign and multiplayer.
> 2) Discount this if you will, because this point is a matter of lore. Imagine the technology needed for HUD hitmarkers. Each bullet fired from a weapon would need to have some kind of electronic chip or device that would relay information back to the helmet: whether the bullet hit or not. Also, the bullet would need to distinguish if it hit an enemy, hit a part of the environment, or never hit at all. This would involve a huge increase in ammunition costs. Or, the helmet optics would have to track and assess each bullet fired from a weapon, determining if the bullet hit an enemy, a part of the environment, or never hit anything. This would simply be a misallocation of resources and technology. HUD hitmarkers would be extremely hard to achieve in a real-life combat zone.
>
> In summary, I think Campaign should have no hitmarkers of any kind (a visual indication on the HUD or an audio cue provided by the helmet), and Multiplayer should only have visual hitmarkers (an indication on the HUD) and no sound effect for hitmarkers.

while I agree that the noise should be taken out completely (as it was confirmed to only sound when you get a kill), I disagree that the hitmarkers need to be taken out completely. Plus its 2557-58 at this point, why wouldn’t there be tracking chips?

I wouldn’t mind them in campaign actually

All they do is tell me I’m playing a videogame… I like immersion, and they don’t help with that.

I couldn’t tolerate those hitmarker sound effects during the beta. I agree with Anonymous and VicorBoris that 343 should do away with them.

> 2533275005949844;8:
> I like the hit markers but we can do away with the sound effect.

Wasn’t one of the audio things 343i already mentioned was in the works for being tweaked?

> 2533274887613159;11:
> All they do is tell me I’m playing a videogame… I like immersion, and they don’t help with that.

Precisely. Hitmarkers in Campaign would reduce the immersion of the Campaign. That’s why I think hitmarkers, visual “X’s” on the HUD or sound effects, should be completely absent in Halo 5’s Campaign.

No hitmarkers period. They add to the visual clutter that gives me motion sickness. :confused:

> 2533274822366750;15:
> No hitmarkers period. They add to the visual clutter that gives me motion sickness. :confused:

Optional hitmarker sounds/visuals and optional aim assisit. Please give the community choices 343.

Sorry for bringing up such an inferior franchise, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare didn’t have hitmarkers in Campaign, yet did have hitmarkers in multiplayer. In this way, Campaign was more realistic. Do current soldiers in real life have hitmarkers displayed around their reticule when they hit an enemy? No. I liked how Modern Warfare didn’t have hitmarkers in Campaign. The absence of hitmarkers made the campaign slightly more realistic, and differentiated Campaign and Multiplayer.

Now, in Halo. Campaign and Multiplayer’s gameplay should be different. Campaign happens in the actual universe of Halo on real planets, on real battlefields, and with real enemies. Multiplayer is a training simulation for SPARTANs. Because Multiplayer is a simulation, it makes sense for there to be hitmarkers. But Campaign is not a simulation, you are playing real battles, shooting real, physical enemies, and traversing real, physical environments.

Halo 5’s Campaign, by definition, should be more realistic than Halo 5 Multiplayer. The absence of hitmarkers in Campaign would make the Campaign more realistic, because, for the reasons I explained in the original post, HUD displayed hitmarkers would be extremely hard to achieve in real life. Alas, because HUD displayed hitmarkers would be so hard to achieve in real life, the Campaign would be more realistic if it did not have HUD displayed hitmarkers. So, there should be no hitmarkers (no X’s on the HUD and no sound effects) in Halo 5 Campaign.

First off, drop the “they’re Spartans” argument. Even if this were valid from a lore point, I don’t see how they’d have a HUD indicator of hitting something that’s not programmed to their helmet.
Further, I hate having hit markers in multiplayer. I know this term is overused, but they’re just added to be more generic. Halo had its own verson of confirming hits, with shields lighting up. Now all I have to do is shoot a rocket, or throw a grenade to find out where an enemy is. In all previous games, if I wanted a confirmed hit of a hidden player, I’d have to listen for grunts. It’s too easy now. To add to it, the beeps that accompany the markers gets on my nerves. There was soooooo much beeping in the beta.

> 2533274813499353;18:
> First off, drop the “they’re Spartans” argument. Even if this were valid from a lore point, I don’t see how they’d have a HUD indicator of hitting something that’s not programmed to their helmet.
> Further, I hate having hit markers in multiplayer. I know this term is overused, but they’re just added to be more generic. Halo had its own verson of confirming hits, with shields lighting up. Now all I have to do is shoot a rocket, or throw a grenade to find out where an enemy is. In all previous games, if I wanted a confirmed hit of a hidden player, I’d have to listen for grunts. It’s too easy now. To add to it, the beeps that accompany the markers gets on my nerves. There was soooooo much beeping in the beta.

The audible queues do get annoying after awhile. But…hitmarkers = generic? I think it’s just more about common sense to have it in FPS games these days. I like to know whether or not my shots are registering on my target.

> 2533274850465226;19:
> > 2533274813499353;18:
> >
>
>
> The audible queues do get annoying after awhile. But…hitmarkers = generic? I think it’s just more about common sense to have it in FPS games these days. I like to know whether or not my shots are registering on my target.

Which you have shield flares for.