No Fall Damage?

In the Halo Infinite beta, I couldn’t help but notice the lack of fall damage in matches. I first noticed this during my third match of BTB, when one of my teammates grappled onto the large mountain in the center of Fragmentation, attempting to skyjack a Banshee, but failed and plummeted down onto the ground with no damage at all. I feel like the exclusion of fall damage makes the Grappleshot a lot more OP than it should be. Failure to skyjack a Wasp or Banshee successfully, like in my example, should be punished. I could probably think about dozens of other situations where the lack of fall damage is noticeable, and with fall damage being an integral part of Halo since the original Halo CE, It’s removal truly saddens me. Just today, I was playing custom games on MCC, when an enemy abandoned his Banshee midair to escape his death, only to find it waiting for him at the hard ground. A situation like this in Infinite would not punish the player in anyway, and the fight would just continue on, with the player maybe even able to escape or kill his assailants.

This has probably already been noticed by many, and some, like myself, are angry at 343 and begging for them to change it, but I doubt 343 would make such a last second change like this. The removal of fall damage definitely doesn’t sit very well with me.

I mean, neither Halo 2 or 3 had fall damage, I’d hardly say its been an integral part of Halo since CE when arguably the two most popular entries didn’t include. Personally, I prefer to play without fall damage, it allows for more fun plays and cool moments.

> 2535415182144652;1:
> In the Halo Infinite beta, I couldn’t help but notice the lack of fall damage in matches. I first noticed this during my third match of BTB, when one of my teammates grappled onto the large mountain in the center of Fragmentation, attempting to skyjack a Banshee, but failed and plummeted down onto the ground with no damage at all. I feel like the exclusion of fall damage makes the Grappleshot a lot more OP than it should be. Failure to skyjack a Wasp or Banshee successfully, like in my example, should be punished. I could probably think about dozens of other situations where the lack of fall damage is noticeable, and with fall damage being an integral part of Halo since the original Halo CE, It’s removal truly saddens me. Just today, I was playing custom games on MCC, when an enemy abandoned his Banshee midair to escape his death, only to find it waiting for him at the hard ground. A situation like this in Infinite would not punish the player in anyway, and the fight would just continue on, with the player maybe even able to escape or kill his assailants.
>
> This has probably already been noticed by many, and some, like myself, are angry at 343 and begging for them to change it, but I doubt 343 would make such a last second change like this. The removal of fall damage definitely doesn’t sit very well with me.

Must be new to the franchise, welcome!!

I am fine with no fall damage, especially considering the large campaign and how much verticality we have with the grappleshot.

Fall Damage is detrimental to gameplay experience when strong vertical movement is available.

Fall damage would completely change the entire game. Halo CE and Reach(ew jetpacks) are the only two games that had it and you can see the difference in verticality.

I honestly hate fall damage in Halo. I was damn elated when it wasn’t in the technical preview. Implementing it back in would be detrimental to infinite’s gameplay when you consider things like the grapple hook and stuff. If for campaign, I’d be fine with it. But I dislike fall damage. Its one of the many things that i really liked about halo 3.

why do you want fall damage? it only existed in reach and CE and adds nothing of value. spartans can survive falls from space.

> 2533274829177297;6:
> Fall damage would completely change the entire game. Halo CE and Reach(ew jetpacks) are the only two games that had it and you can see the difference in verticality.

Worth mentioning that Reach introduced Jetpacks, which seemed like a huge design hindsight considering there are numerous cases during the Alexandria mission where you could actually accidentally screw yourself when you stop the ability and crunch.

Halo CE. Fall in water, die. Fall 10 feet, die. Fall onto a moving vehicle that moved one inch, die.

Halo 4 has fall damage, and H2A but you need to be at maximum height on Awash to tickle the shields.

Maybe a game type in halo infinite having fall damage, I personally don’t mind with or without fall damage. Didn’t even think about it till this post.

> 2533274829177297;6:
> Fall damage would completely change the entire game. Halo CE and Reach(ew jetpacks) are the only two games that had it and you can see the difference in verticality.

And ODST, and halo 4. There’s actually currently more halo games with fall damage than without (infinite will tie it).

I still prefer no fall damage though.

> 2533274953195665;8:
> why do you want fall damage? it only existed in reach and CE and adds nothing of value. spartans can survive falls from space.

It was also in ODST and halo 4.

It be cool If thay add a impact animation like dust and dirt with a small crater if Spartans fall form a high spot to the ground.

Fall damage in multiplayer sucks imo. It’s annoying and causes moments of confusion where you think you’d take no damage and basically die and when you think you’d die and don’t.

I think a better balance is just a heavy fall animation. Your spartan may take a second to regain footing after falling from maximum height. I noticed there is something like this in infinite, but it would seem perhaps from very great heights idk I guess you’d perhaps want something more…consequential.

I’ve always preferred no fall damage in halo games. I just think it helps with map making and flow. I also think falling shouldn’t do enough damage to a spartan to kill them, even at terminal speeds. Possibly remove shields.

> 2533274802341352;4:
> I am fine with no fall damage, especially considering the large campaign and how much verticality we have with the grappleshot.

I like it besides The Halo Ring, or Planets gravity where on may have been taken into account. … Many paths exhumed an displayed for reconciliation…

> 2533274866536985;13:
> > 2533274953195665;8:
> > why do you want fall damage? it only existed in reach and CE and adds nothing of value. spartans can survive falls from space.
>
> It was also in ODST and halo 4.

true. I consider ODST a halo 3 add-on and my brain tries to repress all memories of halo 4 lol

Although I’ve arguably played more H3 than Reach, I must say it felt off to not have any type of fall-damage. A certain groundedness was missing because of it I think, especially because I felt like the art style was a bit more gritty again. I do think it would suit the game better to have some form of fall damage be put into the game, just less punishing than CE or Reach. Chipping away a portion of your shields that absorb the impact (making you flare up in the process) would suffice I’d say.