No Covenant in Halo 6? Flood coming back?

The Covenant has been the main antagonist faction in the Halo series, but in Halo 5 they may have suffered its ultimate defeat. What does it mean for Halo 6? Can you imagine a Halo game without Grunts and Jackals as cannon fodder? Is a new faction going to emerge or does the Covenant still exist in some fashion, leaded by the Brutes?

Even if this new alien faction or the remnants of the Covenant remnants do show up in Halo 6, what would be their motivation to fight against Blue Team or Fireteam Osiris? It looks like Cortana will be the villain of the story from now on and she wants AI constructs to run the galaxy. Why would any organic species in the galaxy be willing to join her? I think even the Covenant would rather side with the humans in this matter to fight a common enemy.

The one faction that would be a natural ally to Cortana are the Prometheans. And I believe that using the composer to turn every sentient life in the galaxy into prometheans is part of Cortana’s plan.

But we can’t spend the whole game fighting Prometheans and nothing else. We need different enemy types. That’s why I believe the Flood is coming back in Halo 6. If Cortana wants to blackmail the whole galaxy into turning into AI beings under her control, the Flood is a fantastic incentive. Release the Flood in the galaxy, scare everyone into submitting, than activate the Halo ring to kill all the Flood and the uncooperative survivors. I can’t think on a better plan.

Well the flood inevitably will come back in halo at some point. Some halo rings don’t have it but most of them are prisons for the flood so at one point we will see it again

If 343 removes the covenant, I will not buy halo 6, I absolutely without a doubt, think prometheans are the worse, and if they make that the main enemy along side the flood, good bye halo for me. Prometheans are annoying and stupidly overpowered, teleporting, magnet bullets, fighting the same boss over and over again… I don’t know why 343 likes prometheans so much…

Brutes > Prometheans

> 2533274942042829;4:
> Brutes > Prometheans

Yeah, but why would the Brutes side with Cortana? Cortana probably wants to turn everyone into Prometheans. The Spartans are trying to stop her. Why would the Brutes fight against the Spartans then?

As Cortana addressed all the different species in the final mission, I can imagine that most species (she did also mention brutes) will not tolerate it and you might see all species in the galaxy basically turn up to fight against her. BUT I dont know how that would make your main cannon fodder to fight the grunts/jackals etc… Maybe some species side with cortana? Idk

I think Prometheans really came into their own as an enemy type in Halo 5 (barring the Warden Eternal, which should have been a one-off boss battle), and with each installment new enemy types are added (maybe some new flying Prometheans, maybe combining sentinels like in Ghosts of Onyx I don’t know). I think they can and should become the main enemy in Halo 6 (with no Warden!)- but the Covenant are not going anywhere yet.

The Brutes and Prophets are still a lingering threat, and I’m sure we’ll run into them on our way to uniting the Galaxy against Cortana and the Guardians, even if they’ll only be an enemy in three or four missions. And I’m also positive we’ll get to fight alongside the Swords of Sanghelios as well, so some Covenant allies are bound to be a big part of the next game.

As for the Flood, unless we’re in for another out-of-the-blue twist I don’t think we’ll be fighting them in Halo 6. Next time, though…

> 2533274910462545;6:
> As Cortana addressed all the different species in the final mission, I can imagine that most species (she did also mention brutes) will not tolerate it and you might see all species in the galaxy basically turn up to fight against her. BUT I dont know how that would make your main cannon fodder to fight the grunts/jackals etc… Maybe some species side with cortana? Idk

That’s what I thought.

Unless, the fact that she controls a Halo ring now persuades a few former Covenant fanatics that she is the means for the Great Journey. Cortana could see them as a disposable aid for her goals.

> 2533274846978810;7:
> I think Prometheans really came into their own as an enemy type in Halo 5 (barring the Warden Eternal, which should have been a one-off boss battle), and with each installment new enemy types are added (maybe some new flying Prometheans, maybe combining sentinels like in Ghosts of Onyx I don’t know). I think they can and should become the main enemy in Halo 6 (with no Warden!)- but the Covenant are not going anywhere yet.
>
> The Brutes and Prophets are still a lingering threat, and I’m sure we’ll run into them on our way to uniting the Galaxy against Cortana and the Guardians, even if they’ll only be an enemy in three or four missions. And I’m also positive we’ll get to fight alongside the Swords of Sanghelios as well, so some Covenant allies are bound to be a big part of the next game.
>
> As for the Flood, unless we’re in for another out-of-the-blue twist I don’t think we’ll be fighting them in Halo 6. Next time, though…

Yeah, new enemy types are a given. I’m sure we’re going to see more Promethean vehicles as well, like their version of the Ghost and the Wraith. But even with new enemies and vehicles, and the Covenant appearing in three or four missions, Halo 6 would still need a bit more variety to feel like a Halo campaign. That’s why I think the Flood is coming back. Cortana would have every incentive to unleash the Flood against the galaxy, in order to blackmail every species into being composed.

> 2533274938827434;1:
> The Covenant has been the main antagonist faction in the Halo series, but in Halo 5 they may have suffered its ultimate defeat. What does it mean for Halo 6? Can you imagine a Halo game without Grunts and Jackals as cannon fodder? Is a new faction going to emerge or does the Covenant still exist in some fashion, leaded by the Brutes?
>
> Even if this new alien faction or the remnants of the Covenant remnants do show up in Halo 6, what would be their motivation to fight against Blue Team or Fireteam Osiris? It looks like Cortana will be the villain of the story from now on and she wants AI constructs to run the galaxy. Why would any organic species in the galaxy be willing to join her? I think even the Covenant would rather side with the humans in this matter to fight a common enemy.
>
> The one faction that would be a natural ally to Cortana are the Prometheans. And I believe that using the composer to turn every sentient life in the galaxy into prometheans is part of Cortana’s plan.
>
> But we can’t spend the whole game fighting Prometheans and nothing else. We need different enemy types. That’s why I believe the Flood is coming back in Halo 6. If Cortana wants to blackmail the whole galaxy into turning into AI beings under her control, the Flood is a fantastic incentive. Release the Flood in the galaxy, scare everyone into submitting, than activate the Halo ring to kill all the Flood and the uncooperative survivors. I can’t think on a better plan.

The Brutes are returning in Halo Wars 2 and, since the Elites have been defeated, they will probably take the lead of the Covenant again. Maybe they will try to fire the Halo that Cortana activated at the end of Halo 5 to “start” the Great Journey!

Prometheans are all you need. They’re so fun to fight and have such an amazing backstory /sarcasm

There is no halo without the covenant. I think it would be the worst decision on 343’s part to remove them. The way they could reimplement them is Cortana reunites all of the original species like the grunts, brutes, elites, buggers, etc. There would still be some good covenant like the SoS though.

> 2533274813239350;11:
> Prometheans are all you need. They’re so fun to fight and have such an amazing backstory /sarcasm

I like Prometheans, but having them as the only enemy would be too boring

> 2533274813239350;11:
> Prometheans are all you need. They’re so fun to fight and have such an amazing backstory /sarcasm

I know you are being sarcastic, but I just find it funny their actually interesting backstory is never mentioned once in Halo 5.

I just had an idea for how we could fight Elites, Grunts and Jackals in Halo 6:

I believe that 343 didn’t just lie to us in the publicity for Halo 5. Chief will eventually be labeled as a traitor by ONI and Locke will be ordered to hunt him down, but that’s something that will happen in the next couple games. Halo 5 just introduced Fireteam Osiris and layed the point of contention between Chief and ONI, which is Cortana. Possibly the Chief would prefer to deal with Cortana in his own way, or maybe he thinks he knows Cortana better than anyone and he has to fight her alone (along with Blue Team).

Now there isn’t only one united front against Cortana, there two opposing sides fighting each other while they fight Cortana. Suppose that the Swords of Sanghelios take Master Chief’s side. Now there is a reason for Fireteam Osiris to fight the SoS in all their missions.

Was just doing some MCC campaign with my son and we were on Halo 2 Anniversary and I realized just how much I miss the old enemies. The flood was always a good time and even the brutes charging at you when they become enraged. Now the prometheans which as much as I hate to say it are just forgettable from the first fight to the last. I want the old enemies back or at least a new one that isn’t the prometheans.

I’m just spit balling here but I would like the IRF independent rebel forces. Like a coalition of all factions or something. This would be an alternate in case halo ran out of enemies… yeah right ol

Brutes and flood coming back would be a welcome change