No Bloom Halo Reach. Might need a few tweaks

Dear 343 industries and all who wish to post on this threat,

Yesterday (22nd of september 2011) I found out that there are going to be no-bloom-playlists. With this I have no problem at all but then I saw this video Id like you all to watch:

Im sure you have noticed that the pistol has gained some substantial strength due to this new upcoming update. Im afraid that it has gained to much strength because it will outshoot/“outspam” a DMR even in medium to long range scenarios. I think this should not be the case because it defeats the purpose of the DMR, which HAS a fire rate cap and therefore cannot be fired as frequent as the pistol. So could you consider a fire rate cap on the pistol or maybe a bigger reticle? The same goes for the full auto needle rifle, it might need a cap because a head on DMR on Full auto needle rifle is a assured loss for the DMR, 9 times out of 10 I found out anyway.

I really do hope that you will consider the above mentioned options,

Yours sincerely,

Tonare Dutch

idk man, i did a test battle, and the dmr and NR tied when both were firing as fast as possible…and the NR lost in a long range battle(NR was at full-auto in casse you were wondering), so i think the DMR is better. as far as the magnum goes, i like it, because the way we played, magnum was a pickup, and there werent as many opportunities to use it.

> it will outshoot/“outspam”

I stopped reading here. It’s not spam anymore, it’s shooting at the guns ROF. Spamming is in the past.

> I stopped reading here. It’s not spam anymore, it’s shooting at the guns ROF. Spamming is in the past.

You could always just read the whole thing,
As spamming can be defined as throwing enough bullets at an enemy so he dies, not caring about placement but rather just shooting them.

Which is in fact what occurs when the pistol is being used. With such a high rate of fire even if you miss 2-3, you can still kill a DMR user who hasn’t missed a shot.

The video the OP linked is a prime example, because whenever he melee’d somone and jumped back to get the headshot he could “spam” 3 shots and 1 of which would hit before the enemey (with the DMR) would fire(because if he misses with the DMR he is guarenteed to loose with its low fire rate).
As well, whenever the player would get into a 1v1 situation he would never cease fire to align his shot, but would rather never stop shooting. ( 1:23)

In my opinion and experience, Halo definitly needs to be tweaked if no bloom is going to be like this all the time.

the magnums spread (not bloom, reticule size) is bigger than dmr. at their useful ranges each trumps the other (magnum close-mid and closer, dmr mid-long and further) so i dont see a problem really…

edit- like try from a pretty good distance away where every shot from a dmr will land head shot and the magnum wont, and the dmr kills first with max ROF from both. its what ive found anyway.

> > I stopped reading here. It’s not spam anymore, it’s shooting at the guns ROF. Spamming is in the past.
>
> You could always just read the whole thing,
> As spamming can be defined as throwing enough bullets at an enemy so he dies, not caring about placement but rather just shooting them.
>
> Which is in fact what occurs when the pistol is being used. With such a high rate of fire even if you miss 2-3, you can still kill a DMR user who hasn’t missed a shot.
>
> The video the OP linked is a prime example, because whenever he melee’d somone and jumped back to get the headshot he could “spam” 3 shots and 1 of which would hit before the enemey (with the DMR) would fire(because if he misses with the DMR he is guarenteed to loose with its low fire rate).
> As well, whenever the player would get into a 1v1 situation he would never cease fire to align his shot, but would rather never stop shooting. ( 1:23)
>
> In my opinion and experience, Halo definitly needs to be tweaked if no bloom is going to be like this all the time.

Halo needs nothing done because this gameplay has been around for ten years.

Now with the pistol, it makes since that it beats the DMR at CQB because that is what Halo is about. Playing smart and using the sandbox to your advantage. It’s simply the SMG pistol combo from Halo 2 and 3 but with out the SMG making up for the lack of dual wielding so I don’t see what the big deal is. It does what it’s made to do.

Well, we don’t have to worry about the Pistol being overpowered in the Official Anniversary Playlist. The RoF for the pistol is to be lowered to prevent exactly this.

> Well, we don’t have to worry about the Pistol being overpowered in the Official Anniversary Playlist. The RoF for the pistol is to be lowered to prevent exactly this.

I was unaware of this,
Do you know if this was evident in the gametype they released or no?

But that would solve all the issues I find anyways

> Well, we don’t have to worry about the Pistol being overpowered in the Official Anniversary Playlist. The RoF for the pistol is to be lowered to prevent exactly this.

This. It’s not like it matters that much because zero bloom is only being implemented in Classic. And since the DMR or BR were not in Halo 1 then I doubt they will be put in which leaves just the pistol as a ranged weapon.

> > it will outshoot/“outspam”
>
> I stopped reading here. It’s not spam anymore, it’s shooting at the guns ROF. Spamming is in the past.

Spamming is when quantity takes priority over quality. You can spam almost any element in Halo. Including bloomless single shot weapons.

I think all the single shot weapons need a lower max RoF. Then we will have a Halo game with a proper skill gap. Until then it’s free head shots for everyone!!!

Meh, magnum is perfect how it is now. But i can’t wait to have the CE magnum too.

> > it will outshoot/“outspam”
>

you should have continued reading, he is complaining about the RoF

> Now with the pistol, it makes since that it beats the DMR at CQB because that is what Halo is about. Playing smart and using the sandbox to your advantage. It’s simply the SMG pistol combo from Halo 2 and 3 but with out the SMG making up for the lack of dual wielding so I don’t see what the big deal is. It does what it’s made to do.

Very true.

My apologies as I realize now that my example and post was not worded correctly, but what I was trying to emphasize is that the Pistol -which is a CQB weapon- beats the DMR even at mid/ long range due to the fact that although it may miss thoes 1 or 2 shots it can still kill faster than the DMR can.

The DMR is meant to be a utilitarian weapon correct?
So then it shouldn’t be beaten by a CQB weapon when it is at its best situation which is mid/long range.

> > > it will outshoot/“outspam”
> >
> > I stopped reading here. It’s not spam anymore, it’s shooting at the guns ROF. Spamming is in the past.
>
> Spamming is when quantity takes priority over quality. You can spam almost any element in Halo. Including bloomless single shot weapons.
>
> I think all the single shot weapons need a lower max RoF. Then we will have a Halo game with a proper skill gap. Until then it’s free head shots for everyone!!!

It’s not free head shots when people of lower skill miss shots. You’re wrong.

To OP, the DMR still holds valid against the magnum in range. The reticule will hold size over a greater distance, and has a magazine capacity of roughly twice the size of the magnum. The magnum will outshoot a DMR at close range, that is the point. At longer range, a DMR will outshoot the magnum.

The magnum fulfills its niche perfectly. Magnum kills at close range over dmr, while dmr beats it at range. Both of them overlap in mid range battles with nice skill gap.

Everything seems perfect to me