NO BIG TEAM SLAYER???

I’m on enjoying my nightly game of Halo 4, and I just noticed that they’ve changed Big Team Slayer to Big Team Battle (with objectives). WTF? Why on earth would they alter their most populated playlist in such a drastic way? I like to have the option of playing objective based games because playing stuff like CTF with randoms is a nightmare. They keep messing the bed with this game lol.

It was like this in past Halo’s too.

…And here come the random people from Matchmaking to complain about improvements we’ve known about for nearly a week.

:stuck_out_tongue:

And yes OP, it is an improvement. Consolidation means more space for playlists, and better matches.

> …And here come the random people from Matchmaking to complain about improvements we’ve known about for nearly a week.
>
> :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> And yes OP, it is an improvement. Consolidation means more space for playlists, and better matches.

Yup, people should be more connected with the bulletins.

Also OP Big Team Battle is better than Big Team Slayer because of the low H4 population.

Pretty sure Slayer is the first voting slot isn’t it? Glad my csr has come over from Slayer and not Skirmish. Was only like csr 4 in Skirmish :stuck_out_tongue:

Big Team Skirmish was just Big Team Slayer with no kill limit anyway. It’s pretty much the same thing.

> …And here come the random people from Matchmaking to complain about improvements we’ve known about for nearly a week.
>
> :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> And yes OP, <mark>it is an improvement</mark>. Consolidation means more space for playlists, and better matches.

It’s not an improvement when you water down the single most popular game type by far to include things that no one wanted in the first place. This was the worst thing 343 could have done. You don’t take the delicious pepperoni pizza and slap anchovies on top because no one is trying your smelly fish.

Look at my service record. I love big team slayer. In fact, it accounts for north of 90% of my games. It’s the game mode I want and the only one many, many people preferred to play. It was already annoying enough to have to contend with the non-infinity game types (I like ordinance and load-outs, sue me), but now we can’t even get normal slayer when that is clearly what everyone wanted.

OP is exactly correct. I posted this in MM but here is my 2 cents on it… (copy / pasted).

I like Halo 4 overall and do not have a ton of complaints. It’s not perfect but it has a lot more pros than cons and 343 has done a VERY good job of improving the game over time.

I’m not here to bring up opinion based, 50/50 battles and why ‘my way’ is the best… such as sprint, loadouts, AA’s, etc:

However, I think (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that I speak for the masses about the following:

Combining objective based big team with big team slayer is a very bad idea that is frankly a pretty big turn-off for me (for overall fun on big team, casual play on trying to work together with a friend or two and get kills / have fun).

Now, big team battle is by far the most populated game type; often by well over double at any given time. If it wasn’t then I would not make this post. That is very important information (as I understand everyone has an opinion on everything).

I also consider myself a pretty ‘typical Halo player’ and one that finds myself between the pros and casuals. I’m assuming that is a vast majority of the players in big team also share the following qualities:

1. Like to win but not ultra competitive
  2. Plays pretty well but far from pro
  3. Plays mostly alone or with a friend here and there. Not typically in a legit ‘team’
  4. B/c not on a (real) team; enjoys slayer (team work helps but is not REQUIRED to do well)

I think objective based games belong in 4v4 for the TEAMS to play (or in its own big team playlist if the population is big enough for the game)…

I completely understand WHY the consolidating (in general) is happening. I really do. However, we’re taking the most popular mode (by over double) and adding stuff to the playlist that I feel MOST people wont enjoy.

8v8 objective based games with a bunch of randoms and no real strategy (or CARE for completing objective) present… I just feel like it’s going to kill the big team mode for a lot of people.

With all of this said… will I still play it? Of course. But I would MUCH prefer it to be slayer only. Again, I’m not stating this one random opinion just to say the game should be MY way… but I do feel like the ‘big team crowd’ will likely feel similar.

What do you guys think?

(Next post as well to address the person above, copy / pasted)

A common argument against my stance is that past Halos always did big team with objective and slayer…

My reply:

Past Halos (from what I saw) had ‘team slayer’ as their most played mode. B/c big team was fixed (for most people, such as myself) H4 big team is over double team slayer (usually).

Aka now people like me that like slayer will likely have to play team slayer again (like I did in past Halos).

And this is all fine and well, but it’s just really old after leveling up pretty high in team slayer always getting killed by TEAMS (as a random playing alone or maybe with 1 friend).

That is why big team on H4 saved halo for me, it’s a bunch of people just out going for kills and having fun. Work together is a bonus, not a requirement. (And yes, I choose to work with a team to get kills together).

Let’s be honest, how competitive is objective in big team with 16 randoms (: I’m sure you all get my point by now and understand why big team is the most popular hands down these days.

I just feel this is a very bad move and many will leave from playlist and then ultimately quit (realize other playlists are more competitive and less crazy fun).

Time will tell. I sure know I’ll be playing regardless.

> > …And here come the random people from Matchmaking to complain about improvements we’ve known about for nearly a week.
> >
> > :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > And yes OP, <mark>it is an improvement</mark>. Consolidation means more space for playlists, and better matches.
>
> It’s not an improvement when you water down the single most popular game type by far to include things that no one wanted in the first place. This was the worst thing 343 could have done. You don’t take the delicious pepperoni pizza and slap anchovies on top because no one is trying your smelly fish.
>
> Look at my service record. I love big team slayer. In fact, it accounts for north of 90% of my games. It’s the game mode I want and the only one many, many people preferred to play. It was already annoying enough to have to contend with the non-infinity game types (I like ordinance and load-outs, sue me), but now we can’t even get normal slayer when that is clearly what everyone wanted.

HA!This is one of the funniest posts I’ve seen. No one asked for loadouts, PODs and sprint either but look what we got. Big Team Battle is what Halo 3(Social Big Team) and Reach had. A playlist for large teams mixed with objective and slayer. Probably for the same reasons 343 did it. It keeps playlist numbers healthy. On top of that Big Team Objectives turn into slayer fests anyways. Its the easiest way to rack up kills.

That being said it seems 343 is slapping everyone in the face all the time(unintentionally I’m sure).

I think we can all safely assume that the low population of some playlists is what 343 claims necessitated this merging of game types. If that is true, let me throw out some hypotheticals, just to challenge the prevailing wisdom that this won’t ruin Halo 4 even more.

1: Suppose that even after merging skirmish and slayer into Big team battle, only a small fraction of people are voting for capture the flag (for example), yet every time someone who simply wanted a player variant throws a fit because of getting sent into a different game than what they wanted. There would be empirical data that no one wants to play the objective game modes (even though their small populations should have shown that already) as well of anecdotal evidence of how poorly the change is being received as well. Would be be able to separate the big team slayer modes from this other crap, then?

2: Suppose that as a result of this, people migrate towards the smaller Slayer variants or even away from the game altogether, leaving the one biggest playlist now eviscerated. We would have clear proof that, again, no one wanted the objective types. Will BTB be left to wither on the vine or will it be changed back?

I see both cases as highly plausible, and should either one happen without the appropriate response from 343, I foresee Halo 5 suffering a very ignominious fate.

And before someone quotes me and says “it’s not no one, i wanted more objective game players” remember who got the worse end of this playlist merger. Also, figurative language is normal for most of the planet’s English speaking population. When I say “no one”, I meant a very small portion of the player base.

So did they just merge the 2 playlists? Or can i finally play ctf meltdown (change the gametypes that are matched with each map)?

But I guess it won’t matter, if slayer is really available every single time, the majority will just vote for it pretty much every time.

It’s not a good thing. BTIS was the most populated playlist by a mile, if people wanted all that other stuff like CTF, why were weren’t they playing it? They don’t. That’s why the Big Team population has been so consistent and has nearly always been the same. They didn’t ditch BTIS for Skirmish, did they? If they wanted these other gametypes included, they’d have played that instead.

It’s easy enough to say that it was like this in past Halo games, but this isn’t a past Halo game. The population is much, much lower and they need to keep whatever they can get.

I can definitely see the Infinity Slayer population increasing over the next few weeks.

This just seems like a major oversight to me.

In the past Halos, team slayer was the most populated. Big team had this objective garbage, which makes no sense in big team with random teammates anyway.

They figure it out and make big team slayer only for H4… and what do you know, it over doubles team slayer pop. Hmm… it’s simply not rocket science.

Objective game types ARE valid for legit teams, aka 4v4 and people can go enjoy them there. Besides stat padding… who likes 8v8 with well under half playing objectives / having a clue what’s going on.

Make it slayer, it’s that simple. There is a reason 7-9k people are always on one and under 1k on other. So you merge them… hello… that was the most popular playlist for a reason (see my wall of rambling above).

Again, I really do think this is a big mistake for a game that is overall making great strides since its release ):

They just renamed it to BTB, it pretty much still is Big Team slayer.

(that was a joke)

I’ll play it for a week or two before rendering judgment. Only fair… As long as the objective games don’t devolve into slayer fests, I think it should be a good move for H4.

I do not believe requiring the largest groups in HALO 4 Multiplayer (BTIS, IS) to adjust their game play and significantly reduce the potential to play their game of choice is helping the Halo franchise or the Halo 4 population.
During the process of making changes to appease and/or bring back previous players I think it should have been a priority to not distance any of the remaining major player base.

As a guy who only plays objectives (so I can work on high killstreaks, and read all the betrayal messages…some of which I’m involved in), this really is a disappointing update.

At least enable Friendly Fire…:slight_smile:

To everyone complaining, stop.

I have been a HUGE BTB fan since Halo 2, and rarely touched Normal slayer. Why? Because it was 8v8 OBJECTIVE and SLAYER. Not just Slayer, I mean, that’s what BTB means Big Team BATTLE, not Big Team Slayer.

Once Halo 4 came out, I stopped going into BTIS, because OBJECTIVE was no where to be seen. I actually started playing Normal Slayer, because slaying is more 4v4, 8v8 is where you can actually have huge, awesome, objective battles. Plus, the reason BTIS was the most populated playlist, is because Halo 4’s gameplay tailors more to larger team battles, and not 4v4.

Now that BTB actually exists, me and friends can finally start playing more Halo 4, because Halo 4 is starting to become an actual Halo game.

To leave off with: Stop complaining about getting your precious slayer muddied up by objective, because you have no Idea what you are talking about, because you probably never touched this playlist in a previous Halo game.

I am also pretty much full time BTIS & when I got on today (even tho I had read the bulletin) I was like wtf Regicide in BTIS?
Ragnarok on Slayer got voted in.
Next match CTF got voted in on Ragnarok, next match KOTH got voted in on Exile, then CTF on LongBow.
Now I play solo 98% of the time & it is bad enough playing Slayer with Randoms but Objective Games makes it so much harder to do well!
I mastered Dominion with Randoms back in January & decided I was gonna stick to a non objective gametype & fell in love with BTIS…
Then they altered it with the Big Team Slayer (no loadouts) & I am fine with that.
Yet my 5 loadouts are for specific maps & R or B teams & now if I get a JiP how the hell am I gonna know what game (KOTH, CTF, etc) I am playing until it starts?

EDIT: I did enjoy the games of CTF & KOTH btw

> To everyone complaining, stop.
>
>
>
> To leave off with: Stop complaining about getting your precious slayer muddied up by objective, because you have no Idea what you are talking about, because you probably never touched this playlist in a previous Halo game.

Couple of things,

1. This is my 1st Halo game & no I have never played CoD
  2. This is Halo 4 not Halo 2 or 3 or Reach
  3. YOU should really stop complying about people who haven’t played BTS in previous Halo’s. As the BTIS playlist is what has kept this game afloat with its constantly double, triple even quadruple size population compared to the other gametypes!
  4. That is all