Next logical step in Forge

In Halo 4, the next logical step forward for The Forge is to be able to either

a. Place interactive AI enemies/allies

b. Forge unique terrain

c. Both?

This is the only way Forge could improve from its already advanced state.
What do you think?

AI placement is hard, especialy when you can change the envirmonet, it messes up their programming

it would be aweosme is 343 found a way, the forging community will give HUGE props to them if they do

also, WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE LIKE VEHICLES?
not to be rude but, the only vehicle you want in Forge, is the elephant

not that th elephant is bad, i’d LOVE it to be in forge, but other vehicles need to be in forge as well

like The falcon, Hornet, Hog (of course)and HW’s vehicles

The placement system could be better and more variety in terrain. Better objects and maybe paths for lights. The ability to despawn objects and forklift.

The logical step forward is adding loads of scenery options and multiple object skins. Think of Reach - the problem with the Forged maps was that they were all that boring grey/green colour. AI would be nothing but a gimmick, and a costly (in terms of processing power) one at that. If 343 have time to burn, I’d much rather they added some Halo Wars vehicles. Locust in Forge = off-the-charts win.

Weather/day/night

> also, WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE LIKE VEHICLES?
> not to be rude but, the only vehicle you want in Forge, is the elephant
>
> not that th elephant is bad, i’d LOVE it to be in forge, but other vehicles need to be in forge as well
>
> like The falcon, Hornet, Hog (of course)and HW’s vehicles

I’d love, yes LOVE, if the Spectre returned from Halo 2. One of my favourite vehicles.

But what I would really like, and I’m sure many of you will agree, are flyable Pelicans, Phantoms, Spirits and any new drop ships coming with Halo 4.

object textures, because having everything grey annoyed the crap out of me.

> object textures, because having everything grey annoyed the crap out of me.

I think we should also be able to place Human and Covenant walls and objects. I’m sick of everything looking the same.

> > object textures, because having everything grey annoyed the crap out of me.
>
> I think we should also be able to place Human and Covenant walls and objects. I’m sick of everything looking the same.

We should be able to place an object and then pick what texture it uses from a variety of options - Human, Covenant, Forerunner, Jungle stone, Icy stone, etc. Plus an option to turn all the objects in a map to a particular theme, say, make them all Jungle-themed. Would work wonders for map aesthetics.

“not to be rude but, the only vehicle you want in Forge, is the elephant”

Cause it’s basically a base…That moves and it’s awesome, and did I tell you that it was a base that moves?

A full on PC map creator and editor, that can make maps and then upload them to your xbox. This would be the greatest thing to ever happen to halo.

> AI placement is hard, especialy when you can change the envirmonet, it messes up their programming
>
> it would be aweosme is 343 found a way, the forging community will give HUGE props to them if they do
>
>
>
> also, WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE LIKE VEHICLES?
> not to be rude but, the only vehicle you want in Forge, is the elephant
>
> not that th elephant is bad, i’d LOVE it to be in forge, but other vehicles need to be in forge as well
>
> like The falcon, Hornet, Hog (of course)and HW’s vehicles

Not to mention the Pelican/Phantom, which have been long overdue in Halo’s multiplayer.

Everyone knows how the Pelican’s boarding system would work, but I think that the Phantom’s should work more like Halo 2’s, with a hole in the bottom of the ship to drop off players. People could board the ship by jumping up toward the hole, and being sucked in by some sort of gravitational force.

idk

Color and texture options for objects is actually the next logical improvement, and vastly greater numbers of objects.

You should be able to spawn a Block object, then choose a texture out of a list of like 20 options.

(maybe like UNSC White, UNSC Grey, UNSC Concrete, UNSC Black, UNSC Green, Metal, Iron, Rust, Grass, Sand, Concrete, Wood, Flood, Bloody, Forerunner Grey, Forerunner Silver, Forerunner Metallic, Forerunner Sandstone, Forerunner Ceramic, Forerunner Light, Covenant Purple, Covenant Black, Covenant Gold, Covenant Orange, Covenant Green, Ruins, Urban, Rock, Road, Hardlight, Glass, Glass See-Through, Ice, Snow, Ice See-Through, Plant/ Overgrown, Fence, etc…)

Some improvements to forge that should be considered for Halo 5 are:

  1. Increasing the number of objects by 10 times what they currently are.
  2. At least 20 texture options for objects.
  3. Size options for objects that allow you to scale an object up or down in size.
  4. More natural objects such as rocks, cliff walls, hills, waterfalls, streams, water objects, etc.
  5. Terrain manipulation.

I actually kind of disagree about AI placement in forge. It would make the maps smaller, have less objects, no other more advanced options such as textures, and make the maps run horribly and lag and so on.

Terrain editor will never happen. I don’t know why people keep asking for this. the Halo engine cannot do this; it can barely do rain.

Everything eating lunch said as well as some terrain control and weather/day or night controls instead of these stupid and worthless FX tools we have right now. Would it be so hard to make a Nighttime FX at least?

> Everything eating lunch said as well as some terrain control and weather/day or night controls instead of these stupid and worthless FX tools we have right now. Would it be so hard to make a Nighttime FX at least?

Actually, yes.

> Terrain editor will never happen. I don’t know why people keep asking for this. the Halo engine cannot do this; it can barely do rain.

The Halo engine is fully capable or running a terrain editor…
Back in 2008 FarCry 2 was released on consoles and pc’s with a terrain editor that honestly put forge to shame imo, so to believe that the current Halo engine isn’t capable of running a terrain editor is quite ignorant.

> > Terrain editor will never happen. I don’t know why people keep asking for this. the Halo engine cannot do this; it can barely do rain.
>
> The Halo engine is fully capable or running a terrain editor…
> Back in 2008 FarCry 2 was released on consoles and pc’s with a terrain editor that honestly put forge to shame imo, so to believe that the current Halo engine isn’t capable of running a terrain editor is quite ignorant.

You’re the one that’s ignorant.

The map editor was part of Far Cry’s development, meaning when UBI was developing the engine, the map editor was part of it. Forge is not part of Halo’s original development. Forge was added into the engine during Halo 3.

The other mistake you’re making is you’re implying that just because a particular game was able to do it on current gen, then all game can do it.

False.

A game is only as good as it’s engine so to say. You can have the greatest hardware on the planet, but if the engine the game is running on isn’t that great, then major limitations are apparent.

Look at BF3. DICE designed the engine so that the game could play and look pretty damn close to current hardware on these consoles.

Yes, and if 343 honestly wanted too, then they could integrate the terrain editor they use into the the game with improvements to the engine for the retail version to run, or include a key for a pc terrain editor download.
Implying that the Halo engine just cannot have a terrain editor and never will is wrong, it’s just a matter of whether 343 wants to make it happen