Next Halo's Campaign Discussion

With the next installment in the Halo series hitting next fall or whenever, I would like to make a discussion in regards to the Campaign, what we hope we can get. With Halo 4’s Campaign simply amazing (though others might disagree), it lacked a few varied solutions that could have made it better.

1.) Skulls
(REALLY?!?!?!, why weren’t these implied in the Campaign 343i? You did in Halo CEA so why not Halo 4? In the end I hope they add these to the Campaign of the next installment, possibly add more skulls that do more, give us a chance to explore more to find these.

2.) Scoring
Why wasn’t this added? I enjoyed it in the previous installments, getting those double and triple kills while continuing onward to fisnish the mission.

3.) Remove barriers
I honestly love exploring and would like to enjoy doing so. Halo 4 had amazing backgrounds and areas but for some you really couldn’t do much prior to exploring, but I would like this personally, and hey i could add more to finding the skulls.

4.) Easter Eggs
Though we have these already, I would still like to have them return just to ensure we get them and not have them removed like a few of the other things.

5.) Co-Op 4 players
With this players can go into the Campaign, with friends and enjoy it together, though as the host, they would be playing as Master Chief, while the other three would be playing as their Spartans from MM, kinda like how Reach did with your custom Spartan going through the Campaign as the new Noble 6.

6.) Longer Campaign
I can’t stress this enough, Halo 4 had a great campaign, problem was that it was TOO short. Now to fix this, though I doubt it would happen, is to make the next game 2 disc, this way one disc can have a longer Campaign, to allow more story to be unravelled. While the other disc will hold MM and so on.

7.)Theater
A lot of people didn’t like how Campaign i nHalo 4 didn’t have the theater option, which I believe this should return because people do use it to create a mass amount of pictures, films and so on.

As for anything else please add and if I forgot something, imput it in your response. What do you guys think and thanks for reading guys.

With these added I believe the Campaign could be at it’s prime.

Al those things are nice, but unless the story and missions are of a high quality, they won’t mean much. That’s the real sticking point for me. If the missions suck, will Skulls add anything? No. Scoring? No. And so on.

Any thoughts on how to make Campaign so much better than it already is?

1.) Skulls

Skulls were in Halo 4, they were just unlocked from the very start and you didn’t have to find or unlock them. Skull hunting in CEA was A LOT of fun, however xD

2.) Scoring

I personally didn’t care too much, but it wouldn’t hurt to bring back the scoring system. I play the campaign to relive the spectacular moments of Chief’s story, not necessarily to go around killing enemies for points. But other players have different tastes, and to that, I say “why not”?

3.) Remove barriers

Removing barriers could introduce lots of problems. For one, you’re supposed to play in an enclosed area where the developers spent their time working on.

4.) Easter Eggs

Of course!

5.) Co-Op 4 players

I suggested the same on Halo Waypoint before Halo 4 came out. It would definitely be cool having the option to play as your own Spartan, although it is Chief’s story.

6.) Longer Campaign

Halo 4 already had 2 discs. One had the Campaign, the second disc was the install disc to download the first half of Spartan Ops, Forge, and War Games. The game was already two discs, it was just that Disc 2 was an install disc so that you wouldn’t have to switch between Disc 1 and 2 all the time. The campaign wasn’t too short because of what you said, it was “short” because either the development team found that it was of appropriate length, or they did not have anymore time to work on it.

7.) Theater

I agree. Most likely Theater support for Campaign and Spartan Ops was not there for Halo 4, as War Games is a very “separate” game mode and working on Theater for Campaign and Spartan Ops would likely require a lot more time and effort.

Can we have ACTUAL Easter eggs this time?

You know, on par and maybe even better than Bungie’s?

No more, “Oh! Here’s 4 BRs for something you thought was going to be cool and mysterious! Happy egg hunting!”

It’s so disappointing.

> 1.) Skulls
>
> Skulls were in Halo 4, they were just unlocked from the very start and you didn’t have to find or unlock them. Skull hunting in CEA was A LOT of fun, however xD
> Well yea, I should have elaborated a little more on that but I think they should return for th fact of finding them again instead of having them already unlocked.
>
> 2.) Scoring
>
> I personally didn’t care too much, but it wouldn’t hurt to bring back the scoring system. I play the campaign to relive the spectacular moments of Chief’s story, not necessarily to go around killing enemies for points. But other players have different tastes, and to that, I say “why not”?
> Well that would also introduce back crazy challenges to complete. Though Scoring is a fun thing I don’t mind doing it myself.
>
>
> 3.) Remove barriers
>
> Removing barriers could introduce lots of problems. For one, you’re supposed to play in an enclosed area where the developers spent their time working on.
> Well I can see where your coming from so I guess that would be out of the question then, but hey it’s an idea.
>
> 4.) Easter Eggs
>
> Of course!
>
>
> 5.) Co-Op 4 players
>
> I suggested the same on Halo Waypoint before Halo 4 came out. It would definitely be cool having the option to play as your own Spartan, although it is Chief’s story.
>
>
> 6.) Longer Campaign
>
> Halo 4 already had 2 discs. One had the Campaign, the second disc was the install disc to download the first half of Spartan Ops, Forge, and War Games. The game was already two discs, it was just that Disc 2 was an install disc so that you wouldn’t have to switch between Disc 1 and 2 all the time. The campaign wasn’t too short because of what you said, it was “short” because either the development team found that it was of appropriate length, or they did not have anymore time to work on it.
> I wasn’t sure if it was because of the space on the disc or what but honestly I think the next Campaign should be bigger and better and more interesting, I hope. With that being said Microsoft should give 343i the time to make a proper game rather than rushing them, they have time and with the patience and time you have, your outcome and results are better.
>
>
> 7.) Theater
>
> I agree. Most likely Theater support for Campaign and Spartan Ops was not there for Halo 4, as War Games is a very “separate” game mode and working on Theater for Campaign and Spartan Ops would likely require a lot more time and effort.

Well Theater should be a feature mastered and implemented into the game regardless on any factor at hand, I think at the least. I should at least be able to go back into, Spartan Ops, Firefight, Campaign, Match Making and Customs and record the games I have played, just saying though.

> Can we have ACTUAL Easter eggs this time?
>
> You know, on par and maybe even better than Bungie’s?
>
> No more, “Oh! Here’s 4 BRs for something you thought was going to be cool and mysterious! Happy egg hunting!”
>
> It’s so disappointing.

I really haven’t seen any REAL easter eggs on Halo 4’s Campaign or anything of that sort. Bungie provided numerous easter eggs, even on there maps for MM.I really don’t want a weapon’s cache, I would like real easter eggs.

Now this is more like it. Way to go op!

> Al those things are nice, but unless the story and missions are of a high quality, they won’t mean much. That’s the real sticking point for me. If the missions suck, will Skulls add anything? No. Scoring? No. And so on.

Maybe for you, but Halo was not originally known for it’s story, but for it’s novel gameplay.

Check out BadCyborgMovies. Stuff like that was what defined Halo. Immense replay value despite the lack of official features.

Of course, you have a point, mission structure defines everything.

> 1.) Skulls
> (REALLY?!?!?!, why weren’t these implied in the Campaign 343i? You did in Halo CEA so why not Halo 4? In the end I hope they add these to the Campaign of the next installment, possibly add more skulls that do more, give us a chance to explore more to find these.
>
> 2.) Scoring
> Why wasn’t this added? I enjoyed it in the previous installments, getting those double and triple kills while continuing onward to fisnish the mission.
>
> 3.) Remove barriers
> I honestly love exploring and would like to enjoy doing so. Halo 4 had amazing backgrounds and areas but for some you really couldn’t do much prior to exploring, but I would like this personally, and hey i could add more to finding the skulls.
>
> 4.) Easter Eggs
> Though we have these already, I would still like to have them return just to ensure we get them and not have them removed like a few of the other things.
>
> 5.) Co-Op 4 players
> With this players can go into the Campaign, with friends and enjoy it together, though as the host, they would be playing as Master Chief, while the other three would be playing as their Spartans from MM, kinda like how Reach did with your custom Spartan going through the Campaign as the new Noble 6.
>
> 6.) Longer Campaign
> I can’t stress this enough, Halo 4 had a great campaign, problem was that it was TOO short. Now to fix this, though I doubt it would happen, is to make the next game 2 disc, this way one disc can have a longer Campaign, to allow more story to be unravelled. While the other disc will hold MM and so on.
>
> 7.)Theater
> A lot of people didn’t like how Campaign i nHalo 4 didn’t have the theater option, which I believe this should return because people do use it to create a mass amount of pictures, films and so on.
>
> As for anything else please add and if I forgot something, imput it in your response. What do you guys think and thanks for reading guys.
>
> With these added I believe the Campaign could be at it’s prime.

  1. Clearly 343i did not want to ruin LASO again. Though I’m not sure why they didn’t hide the skulls like in CEA…

  2. Still a mystery…

  3. Halo 4 is probably one of the easiest Halo games to explore, if you’re on Co-op. Of course, the method I have implied is not public knowledge so most people probably haven’t even seen the extent of some of Halo 4’s maps. It’d be nice if there weren’t random invisible barriers all over the map (like in Halo 3, which could be pretty unpleasant)

  4. I want to have easter eggs that linger throughout a mission, like the Scarab gun on Metropolis, the Excalibur sword on Outskirts, and the invincible Hog on Outskirts. I’m tired of all the deloading, and the stuff we can’t bring with us.

  5. I don’t want to play as a Chief clone, let alone a Chief reskin. If I get to play as Arby again, I fully expect to be able to utilize Camo and have slightly better shielding and jump mechanics and that sort of thing. I did not feel like I was Arby in Halo 3. At least in Halo 2, he had Camo.

  6. It is such a shame so many leftover assets are remaining on the disc, taking up space that could have been used for Campaign stuff…

  7. Yes or I’m not buying.

> Al those things are nice, but unless the story and missions are of a high quality, they won’t mean much. That’s the real sticking point for me. If the missions suck, will Skulls add anything? No. Scoring? No. And so on.

This. Hopefully 343i will make less linear maps this time and at the very least explain the story well enough for non-readers (my brother and friends needed constant book info when they played the Campaign, and it shouldn’t be like that).

But aside from that, OP, all your points are good. Each of them would add a hell of a lot of replay value to the Campaign, and Halo 4’s was probably the least replay-inviting of the bunch (more so due to the missions themselves being linear). I loved finding Skulls in Halo 3 and CEA (didn’t even know they existed when I played 2 :p), scoring was really great and fun and Reach’s Easter Eggs were fantastic (like piloting the pelican/phantom for the first time).

Most of all I hope the Campaign surprises me (in the story, the gameplay and the graphics) time and time again with memorable battles, cutscenes, huge vehicles and the general feel of epicness that was scarce in Reach and 4 (and has been fading away since Master Chief gave the Covenant back their bomb). Make the first time amazing and the subsequent times amazing too (but in a different way).

> Most of all I hope the Campaign surprises me (in the story, the gameplay and the graphics) time and time again with memorable battles, cutscenes, huge vehicles and the general feel of epicness that was scarce in Reach and 4 (and has been fading away since Master Chief gave the Covenant back their bomb). Make the first time amazing and the subsequent times amazing too (but in a different way).

I had hoped there’d be an easter egg that showed us the grisly results of Chief’s boarding at the end of Composer. Hell, maybe even a flashback mission that would extend the combat depth of that boarding (like fighting in space, which wasn’t really done well on Dawn).

But they just cut to the chase, all we see is Chief commandeering the Lich, all the hinted action cast aside since it’d obviously be a distraction from the main story, which is apparently a bad thing. :confused:

They could have at least let us see Jul in the Didact awakening cutscene by moving the left stick (like in the ODST Legendary ending) instead of claiming he’s in there when he’s not.

I just want to se my beloved drones again.

Skull hunting, a longer campaign, bigger battles (lots of vehicles and allies)and the return of the Arbiter. That would make me happy.

I agree all the posts made, thing is I hope 343i will do the right thing, and with the mistakes Halo 4 has given us, I hope they can learn from this lesson and make the next Halo all the more enjoyable and memorable.