New weapon idea: Brute Shotgun

Now I’ve seen this on the forums before and I would like to give my take on it.

Wouldn’t it be so awesome and fitting to have this gun in the game??

The brutes have always valued raw power over anything else when it comes to weaponry. It could have a huge bayonet on it for that extra cool factor.

One could argue that the maulers are already the brutes’ go to close range weapon, or the grav hammer. But the maulers are kind of lame, in my opinion, they are held in one hand and don’t give a big enough boom noise XD. I think that a brute would be satisfied to blow enemies away with a powerful shotgun that requires two hands just to hold.

The hammer is already arguably the only close range brute weapon that we need, but not every brute should be running around with hammers.

What does everyone think? Is it time that we got to see some real brute firepower?

We don’t even know if Brutes are returning. Let’s just wait and see if they return, then discuss some new ideas.

> We don’t even know if Brutes are returning. Let’s just wait and see if they return, then discuss some new ideas.

True, we’ll have to wait and see. I kind of meant only if they were coming back. The hammer was in 4 and there were no brutes in that game, although the hammer was merely a returning weapon, not a new one.

Would be cool. Maybe have it shoot out spikes like the Spiker. Like maybe it starts off as one giant spike, but as it travels it splits off into multiples.

Maybe it’s automatic, with massive bloom/recoil. That would make it function differently to the other close-range weapons.

Personally I loved the Maulers in H3 so I’d rather they were just tweaked if needs be rather than just ripped out.

~ Duck.

Well, in the thread that I started. I believe we came to a conclusion that the mauler should be updated to fit the shotgun role but IF and ONLY IF it can provide a unique firing motion. We shouldn’t turn the mauler into a bigger human shotgun. There needs to be something unique about it.

> Personally I loved the Maulers in H3 so I’d rather they were just tweaked if needs be rather than just ripped out.
>
> ~ Duck.

Mauler, one of my favorite go to guns in Halo 3. Very dependable.

Brute shotgun=mauler

> > Personally I loved the Maulers in H3 so I’d rather they were just tweaked if needs be rather than just ripped out.
> >
> > ~ Duck.
>
> Mauler, one of my favorite go to guns in Halo 3. Very dependable.

Ditto. I wreaked so much havoc on High Ground with those and spike 'nades…I can’t wait to try it again.

~ Duck.

The Brutes have the Mauler and a weird fascination with human shotguns. I say they need an automatic rifle to replace the Spiker, like the Storm Rifle did to the Plasma Rifle.

What if the gun shot out a spray of super heated liquid metal that would engulf the target at close range?

That might work in a way that’s unique as well as stick to the Brutes theme of causing as much physical trauma as inhumanly possible.

I’m also thinking of a Sniper rifle that fires a single mini-Incendiary grenade at the target from long distances setting the target on fire for a little bit as well as causing damage from the initial impact.

I also agree with FENRIR’S thoughts a rifle version of the Spiker. I’m thinking that maybe this iteration should have barbed spikes. That’d be gruesome wouldn’t it?

There should also be weapons with poison and buzz saws involved, not sure what they should be, yet.

What 343 should do when thinking up ideas for new Brutes weapons is look up laws put in place to prohibit the creation of certain weapon designs and ideas. Like how the Geneva convention bans the the use of poisoned ammunition. After that they should make a check list of all the laws and create a Brute weapon that breaks each one.

> What if the gun shot out a spray of super heated liquid metal that would engulf the target at close range?
>
> That might work in a way that’s unique as well as stick to the Brutes theme of causing as much physical trauma as inhumanly possible.
>
> I’m also thinking of a Sniper rifle that fires a single mini-Incendiary grenade at the target from long distances setting the target on fire for a little bit as well as causing damage from the initial impact.
>
> I also agree with FENRIR’S thoughts a rifle version of the Spiker. I’m thinking that maybe this iteration should have barbed spikes. That’d be gruesome wouldn’t it?
>
> There should also be weapons with poison and buzz saws involved, not sure what they should be, yet.
>
> What 343 should do when thinking up ideas for new Brutes weapons is look up laws put in place to prohibit the creation of certain weapon designs and ideas. Like how the Geneva convention bans the the use of poisoned ammunition. After that they should make a check list of all the laws and create a Brute weapon that breaks each one.

Buzz saw bayonets. The stuff of Dead Space-y legend.

Brutes are all about close range, and their arsenal pretty much consists of shotgun-type weaponry. Even the Gravity Hammer is classified as the Covenant equivalent of the UNSC Shotgun and Forerunner Scattershot.

I don’t see the need for another very similar weapon.

I’m thinking some sort of retractable harpoon type weapon.

Usable at extended range, packs a giant brutal punch to anything it hits.

If the Brutes do get a new close-range weapon, it’d have to shoot fire or have some other distinguishing trait. We’ve already got a perfectly good vanilla shotgun, there’s no need for weapon redundancy.

> If the Brutes do get a new close-range weapon, it’d have to shoot fire or have some other distinguishing trait. We’ve already got a perfectly good vanilla shotgun, there’s no need for weapon redundancy.

Agreed. Considering there’s also the possibility of scatter gun returning for the Prometheans, there’s no need to add another shotgun unless it’s distinctly different from the other two. I think a close-range gun that shoots an expanding ring of fire would be interesting to see.

I think it’s worth pointing out that dual Maulers would beat every other close-range weapon in Halo 3, yet were completely ignored by the community. Nobody would ever pick them up on The Pit, even though the sword and shotty - both objectively inferior weapons - got plenty of use. I never did understand why.

> > If the Brutes do get a new close-range weapon, it’d have to shoot fire or have some other distinguishing trait. We’ve already got a perfectly good vanilla shotgun, there’s no need for weapon redundancy.
>
> Agreed. Considering there’s also the possibility of scatter gun returning for the Prometheans, there’s no need to add another shotgun unless it’s distinctly different from the other two. I think a close-range gun that shoots an expanding ring of fire would be interesting to see.

While I didn’t suggest an expanding ring of fire. I did suggest an expanding ring of spikes with one lone spike set in the middle that would shoot straight.