New ways to identify team members

I would like a new way to identify what team a person is on in the new halo. Colors were good with smaller resolutions, But now that we are moving into a 1080P 60FPS era, I think it’s time for something new. The problem I have is they always talk about how customization should make you feel original, like yourself. But 99 percent of playlists across all the games always force you to wear one color or another.

I had two ideas about this. one is maybe players would have a tent that would cover there armor, but not engulf it. that way you could still see your color, but have a tent that would be noticeable.

My second idea was to maybe put an outline on the character like toon shading. And this outline would be your team color. Like in Halo ODST.

What do you guys think?

I would like to see more game modes besides FFA that can make having your own color work.

This is one of the only benefits I see to bringing elites back into multiplayer: You could make the multiplayer just based off of Spartans vs elites and then anyone can have any color they want.

I don’t believe that should necessarily happen though.

How about the game sees your color and decides whether that color could be acceptable for either team?

For example: if my Spartan is orange it would stay orange if I was on the red team. If my Spartan was purple then it would stay purple if I was on the blue team.

I would rather see emblems and service tags above friendly players who then get to represent their colour and armour choices fully.

I don’t really like having the shading appear, I feel like it would be a little counterproductive, as with the use of a tint.

Having your reticule turn green and displaying their service tag and emblem above them should do it, similar to Rainbow Six: Vegas I and II.

I would like to see waypoints and service tags over friendly heads with emblems appearing if you look directly at them. Also the reticule should change color to show that the target is friendly.

> I would like to see waypoints and service tags over friendly heads with emblems appearing if you look directly at them. Also the reticule should change color to show that the target is friendly.

I do support this but I’d like to add that it’s important to have it come up sooner rather than later… don’t want to be naded by a teammate.

Personally, I’ve always found team colors kind of pointless. One reason being, you could just place your reticle over a player and see that it changes green if it’s a friend, or red if it’s an enemy. Team colors have just made it easier, and as a matter in fact, basically left the reticle practically useless for player identification because all you needed to do was just look at a player and judge by their color to see if they’re a friend or foe.

Secondly, with the new “Teamkill disabling” feature added in Halo 4 and used in it’s multiplayer matchmaking, you won’t have to worry about shooting a teammate on accident because it won’t do anything to him/her. Which is probably why there was team colors to begin with. They didn’t want players to accidentally shoot their teammates, Teamkill enabled or not.

But regardless, I do agree that there should be a step up in teammate identification, especially with these new things like the 1080p and 60fps they’re adding. What I think should happen, is they need to allow players the freedom of having their spartan colors in team games, but also have player identification just as easier and noticeable as all the other Halo games, and NOT just using the reticle.

I’m thinking they needs to bring back “Armor Detail” from Halo 3. Because depending what team you’re on, the armor detail can be changed to the team color of you’re team in-game. Allowing you to be known on what team you’re on by your friends/foes. This will not only keep the freedom of having you’re spartan’s primary and secondary color in team games, but it’ll also be just for the sake of bringing armor detail back for you’re spartan’s… well… armor detail!

And if even THAT’S too hard. just change the secondary color of players’ spartans into the team color in-game.

That’s personally what I think should happen in terms of teammate identification for Halo 5: Guardians.

Team colors work incredibly well. You never ever see an enemy and have to hesitate before pulling the trigger. You never get confused about who is friend or foe in a scrum. I like that.

These other solutions could be playable, but I don’t see them being as effective with the exception of elite vs spartan game types.

Simply put, changing what works to a less effective system for the sake of aesthetics just doesn’t fly imo. Gameplay should always trump making your character a unique snowflake.

RED VS. BLUE

Period.

This is Halo, come on!

‘And if even THAT’S too hard. just change the secondary color of players’ spartans into the team color in-game’.

The only problem with using Armour Detail and the secondary colour is that at that point you’re only making a change so that 50% of our choice shows up.

It’s not worth it.

‘Simply put, changing what works to a less effective system for the sake of aesthetics just doesn’t fly imo. Gameplay should always trump making your character a unique snowflake’.

I do agree, of course, but red and blue is boring and it does blatantly waste a lot of opportunity to customise your character.

It is far more important not to -Yoink- up and shoot your teammates in Rainbow Six Vegas than it is in Halo and yet they’ll let you design your own custom camo for your armour and there isn’t a problem.

Make their names or emblems persistent when they’re on your screen, highlight them in green and don’t do the same for the opposite team and it will be fine.

‘RED VS. BLUE’

No thanks.

> It is far more important not to -Yoink!- up and shoot your teammates in Rainbow Six Vegas than it is in Halo and yet they’ll let you design your own custom camo for your armour and there isn’t a problem.

Except Halo’s audience, in general, is dumber than what you’ll find playing Rainbow Six. I’ve seen kids jump on top of my grenades because they wanted a sword kill, then booting me because they thought it was my fault. Yes, screwups surely happen in Rainbow 6, but Halo has far more stupid.

> Team colors work incredibly well. You never ever see an enemy and have to hesitate before pulling the trigger. You never get confused about who is friend or foe in a scrum. I like that.
>
> These other solutions could be playable, but I don’t see them being as effective with the exception of elite vs spartan game types.
>
> Simply put, changing what works to a less effective system for the sake of aesthetics just doesn’t fly imo. Gameplay should always trump making your character a unique snowflake.

QFT.
I still have trouble identifying teammates in Titanfall.

In Halo, I never think twice, and that’s a good thing.
Gameplay first, cosmetics second.

> I would like to see more game modes besides FFA that can make having your own color work.
>
> This is one of the only benefits I see to bringing elites back into multiplayer: You could make the multiplayer just based off of Spartans vs elites and then anyone can have any color they want.
>
> I don’t believe that should necessarily happen though.
>
> How about the game sees your color and decides whether that color could be acceptable for either team?
>
> For example: if my Spartan is orange it would stay orange if I was on the red team. If my Spartan was purple then it would stay purple if I was on the blue team.

This kind of makes sense. Like Red vs Blue the series where eveyone is a different shade of color. However, the problem with this implementation is that people will be grouped according to color and won’t be random anymore.

^
Other way around. People would be be allowed to keep a similarly-shaded colour to their team colour if they had one selected and people would not be grouped by colour.

Why make it so complicated. I’d appreciate to get rid of red and blue, which wouldn’t be difficult to do, since u have team indicator anyway. If someone hasn’t got this indicator above his head, I’ll shoot him anyways regardless which color he’d wear.

I get the feeling a lot of you never played Halo seriously.
You don’t have time to look above peoples’ heads to see if they are a teammate or not in a quality match of Halo.
Sometimes, you can just see an enemy’s feet, for example… so you lob a grenade.
So many instances that colours are very important.

> I get the feeling a lot of you never played Halo seriously.
> You don’t have time to look above peoples’ heads to see if they are a teammate or not in a quality match of Halo.
> Sometimes, you can just see an enemy’s feet, for example… so you lob a grenade.
> So many instances that colours are very important.

There’s a big fat arrow+tag above ur team mates. U can see it through the whole map. If u miss that, then u’re blind.

Btw other fps have no colors and they work fine.

I don’t know what u mean by ‘seriously’ but I’ve played enough halo to know what I’m talking about.

> I would like to see waypoints and service tags over friendly heads with emblems appearing if you look directly at them.

so much this. i’ve always thought, that the service tags & emblems
don’t get the attention they deserve.
i would approve, that their Tag & Emblem appears above them, when you look at them.

> > I get the feeling a lot of you never played Halo seriously.
> > You don’t have time to look above peoples’ heads to see if they are a teammate or not in a quality match of Halo.
> > Sometimes, you can just see an enemy’s feet, for example… so you lob a grenade.
> > So many instances that colours are very important.
>
> There’s a big fat arrow+tag above ur team mates. U can see it through the whole map. If u miss that, then u’re blind.
>
> Btw other fps have no colors and they work fine.
>
> I don’t know what u mean by ‘seriously’ but I’ve played enough halo to know what I’m talking about.

Sometimes teammates/enemies are right in your face. Sometimes teammates are right beside enemies.
I’m sorry, but an arrow+tag isn’t always enough.

Other FPSs like Titanfall do NOT work fine. I mistake my teammates for enemies when point blank all the time. It’s annoying.

How about an aurora around players that has the same color as their team? You can already tell if someone is an enemy if their name is colored in red.

Players will have the colors they choose while still able to identify with their team.

> Team colors work incredibly well. You never ever see an enemy and have to hesitate before pulling the trigger. You never get confused about who is friend or foe in a scrum. I like that.

Team Colors are the most obvious and simple way of differentiating friend and foe. But I personally never have a problem in games without team colors. There are several ways to set enemies apart.

-The simple fact your crosshair turns red when aiming at them.
-Red nametags over your enemies when they are within your vision.
-The fact your allies have nametags while enemies do not have them.
-Having different colored auras based on team.
-Different teams with different models (such as Gears and Counter-Strike)
-Maps giving away ally locations (if my ally isn’t in this spot its obviously an enemy).
-etc.

There’s no “could” about it. Removing team colors does work for several different games.

The only reason I would oppose removing red vs blue is because “it’s something that is almost brand recognition for Halo”.

> I had two ideas about this. one is maybe players would have a tent that would cover there armor, but not engulf it. that way you could still see your color, but have a tent that would be noticeable.

Don’t think running around the battlefield with a tent over your body would be practical. Unless you meant tint.