New Viewpoints

So I think its been long enough since Legacy of Onyx came out that I can talk a little bit about it without issue. Not that this is particularly spoiler-y of course but…
Anyway.
Legacy of Onyx does something that we haven’t seen in a Halo novel just yet; give us a look at the events of the universe through the eyes of someone who ISN’T military. Not just that, but someone who’s not even an adult either.
I, personally, love it. The change of pace, the new perspective, not to mention the new information on whats going on…it all works together so well to make this experience just…perfect. I would (as a browser and fan of many previously-popular teen literature series) go so far to say that I’d rather have Molly Patel and her multi-racial group of misfits watching my back in a fight over pretty much any other teen heroine.

Which brings me to my main point…could this be an opening for more of the same, not just in the books, but perhaps in the games? I know people have brought up the idea before, but it was always hindered in some way by comparisons to other games, or to series, or what have you.
But now Legacy of Onyx has showed its possible…

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this book, because as it progressed I was pulled out of the story by the “young adult novel” tropes. That said, I have no problem with more of such novels being written, especially since the game did expand on the Halo universe as I’ve come to expect from the novels. And if they bring anyone else into the fandom that wouldn’t otherwise have come, then the more the merrier?

Clarification of my feelings towards Legacy of Onyx, containing mild spoilers.

The first adventure the kids are in, they’re screaming to get a monster’s attention to save their teacher, then running for their lives as the teacher makes a bunch of noise to get the monster’s attention to try to save the kids, back and forth until a soldier shoots the monster dead. The kids survived by dumb luck, reasonably fast feet, and several adults intervening. It was somewhat believable.

Where it started to lose me was when I noticed the Checov’s Gun of the flying simulator. My suspension of disbelief was entirely gone when this civilian boy had to save the world (in addition to a Spartan) by flying a Pelican on a nearly impossible mission, then miraculously making a crash-landing that everyone survives when the Pelican is EMPd before it can make a proper landing.

The other notable thing was that no one important died in the entire book. Important characters get gravely wounded, left for dead, then are perfectly well later due to the magic of modern medicine. The only deaths are nameless background characters, a school bully, and some named uppity Sangheili commanders who only exist to show off the Pale Blade’s personality and skill-set.

> 2533274907200114;1:
> So I think its been long enough since Legacy of Onyx came out that I can talk a little bit about it without issue. Not that this is particularly spoiler-y of course but…
> Anyway.
> Legacy of Onyx does something that we haven’t seen in a Halo novel just yet; give us a look at the events of the universe through the eyes of someone who ISN’T military. Not just that, but someone who’s not even an adult either.
> I, personally, love it. The change of pace, the new perspective, not to mention the new information on whats going on…it all works together so well to make this experience just…perfect. I would (as a browser and fan of many previously-popular teen literature series) go so far to say that I’d rather have Molly Patel and her multi-racial group of misfits watching my back in a fight over pretty much any other teen heroine.
>
> Which brings me to my main point…could this be an opening for more of the same, not just in the books, but perhaps in the games? I know people have brought up the idea before, but it was always hindered in some way by comparisons to other games, or to series, or what have you.
> But now Legacy of Onyx has showed its possible…

I like the idea but I think people have a hard time with games that aren’t centered around the Master Chief. I mean, Reach was an exception because Reach has been talked about since the beginning of Halo. ODST was great and so are the Halo Wars games but they weren’t as popular with fans. I could be entirely wrong. I’d love to see additions like this to Halo. Maybe they could be campaign DLC stories similar to what Epic did with Gears of War 3? One of their DLC packages was “Raam’s Shadow” which told the story of General Raam’s upsrising and even allowed players to play as General Raam and control the Kyrill. 343 could certainly do the same thing with various stories in the Halo Universe.

as far as legacy of onyx I thought it felt a little weird to constantly be reading it as a bunch of kids in high school doing highschool things. felt weird for a halo story. I did like the book though and I really would like to see more perspectives. hope fully we’ll see more from maybe some lower level ONI guys or some smugglers and pirates. heck I’d like to see a book about grunts. seriously some one write about the grunt rebellion.