New to Halo lore

I started listening to the hunt the truth series and I’ve found it very interesting so far. I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to catch up on the Halo lore, I’m sure there’s a lot I’ve missed as I’ve only seen any lore that they had in campaigns. What I’m looking for is like a timeline and I’m not really sure where to find the books/comics/etc. I’ve looked through the store here and some of it is there but I’m guessing there’s more than what they have. For anything not in the store here on halowaypoint, would I just find the rest on eBay or Amazon? Or might there be a different place to find these? Thanks for any help.

Hey there, glad you’ve decided to look in to Halo’s awesome universe beyond the games. :slight_smile:

If you have access to a decent local library, I imagine they’ll have most of the older Halo novels - also that way you can check out the books for free. Otherwise most bookstores or online retailers (especially Amazon) should have them available for purchase at a fair price.

Fist off, I think your best bet would be to start off by reading ‘The Fall of Reach’ novel by Eric Nylund. This book tells the origin story of John-117 (and many other important characters), the SPARTAN-II Program, and the Human-Covenant War - and leads directly into the events of ‘Halo: Combat Evolved’.

After that, I highly recommend the subsequent sequel books ‘First Strike’ and ‘Ghosts of Onyx’ (also written by Nylund). These chronicle what happens to the Master Chief in between the first two games, and what happens to his teammates during the events of ‘Halo 2′ and ‘Halo 3′.

Those three books are basically my Halo “must read” list. So once you’ve finished them, I think how you continue is largely up to how you feel you want to explore the rest of the Halo Universe. Once you have the timeline that is established in Nylund’s novels understood, all the others fall into place pretty easily. Though if you want a resolution to the the situation the characters from ‘Ghosts of Onyx’ find themselves in at the end of that book, as well as a good primer as to why the status-quo is the way it is in ‘Halo 4′, I strongly suggest you read ‘Glasslands’ by Karen Traviss next.

I also feel I have to mention the “Forerunner Saga” by Greg Bear. These novels (‘Cryptum’, ‘Primordium’, and ‘Silentium’) are written beautifully, and are all about the Forerunners and their eventual fall to the Flood - with particular emphasis on the Didact and the Librarian. Obviously the events in these books occur millions of years in the past of the in-universe timeline, but are still relevant to what is occurring (and will occur in the future) of the games. They also answer some pretty big questions about the origins of the Halos, the Forerunners themselves, and the Flood - but then leave even more questions in their wake. Be aware that these books get pretty heady at times as well, and the concepts in them can be difficult to understand upon a first reading. So I say check these out only when you think you’re ready to get neck-deep in some serious Halo lore.

As for the comics, the most relevant series you’ll probably want to check out right now is ‘Halo: Escalation’. These chronicle what has been happening in the Halo Universe after the events of ‘Halo 4′ and Spartan Ops - and currently consists of 17 issues, with ongoing monthly releases. These are a bit harder to track down in physical form if you don’t live somewhere with a decent comic book store, but fortunately they can be bought as digital versions straight from Dark Horse’s website.

Hope this was helpful to you somewhat. :slight_smile:

> 2533274920039666;3:
> As for the comics, the most relevant series you’ll probably want to check out right now is ‘Halo: Escalation’. These chronicle what has been happening in the Halo Universe after the events of ‘Halo 4′ and Spartan Ops - and currently consists of 17 issues, with ongoing monthly releases. These are a bit harder to track down in physical form if you don’t live somewhere with a decent comic book store, but fortunately they can be bought as digital versions straight from Dark Horse’s website.
>
> Hope this was helpful to you somewhat. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, never actually thought about checking libraries for them. I’ll see if I can find a local one with those, if not then I’ll just use Amazon.