New sprint mechanic. Would this work ?

Sometimes I wish sprint was removed because to me it ruins combat in Halo for small maps.It also forces bigger maps, I miss small classic Halo maps.

But I still enjoy the faster speed sprint allows on big maps where I feel sprint is a great addition.

Maybe we need a hybrid sprint system.

Only if the player is moving continuously for a certain duration [3-4 sec] he will begin to sprint.

This would allow us to sprint across larger maps and also wont allow people to just sprint away during combat.

That would heavily help the running away problem.

Maybe something like a charge up time. You hold the sprint button for a few seconds while running for the sprinting to start.

> Sometimes I wish sprint was removed because to me it ruins combat in Halo for small maps.It also forces bigger maps, I miss small classic Halo maps.
>
> But I still enjoy the faster speed sprint allows on big maps where I feel sprint is a great addition.
>
> Maybe we need a hybrid sprint system.
>
> Only if the player is moving continuously for a certain duration [3-4 sec] he will begin to sprint.
>
> This would allow us to sprint across larger maps and <mark>also wont allow people to just sprint away during combat.</mark>

If it’s about making sure players don’t sprint away from a fight, then another solution is if they disable when sprinting when shields or player are damaged and/or recharging.

I think that if you hold down the toggle for sprint, instead of immediately sprinting, you have build up speed to gain full momentum like in real life.

> That would heavily help the running away problem.
>
> Maybe something like a charge up time. You hold the sprint button for a few seconds while running for the sprinting to start.

Not to be a pain but, really “Running away problem”? is it too hard to shoot the other guy as he’s running away? bullets do travel faster than players can sprint away.

why not make it so you can reload as you’re running? Gives players a good reason to “Run away”.

> > Sometimes I wish sprint was removed because to me it ruins combat in Halo for small maps.It also forces bigger maps, I miss small classic Halo maps.
> >
> > But I still enjoy the faster speed sprint allows on big maps where I feel sprint is a great addition.
> >
> > Maybe we need a hybrid sprint system.
> >
> > Only if the player is moving continuously for a certain duration [3-4 sec] he will begin to sprint.
> >
> > This would allow us to sprint across larger maps and <mark>also wont allow people to just sprint away during combat.</mark>
>
> If it’s about making sure players don’t sprint away from a fight, then another solution is if they disable when sprinting when shields or player are damaged and/or recharging.

That is a great idea.

> > That would heavily help the running away problem.
> >
> > Maybe something like a charge up time. You hold the sprint button for a few seconds while running for the sprinting to start.
>
> Not to be a pain but, really “Running away problem”? is it too hard to shoot the other guy as he’s running away? bullets do travel faster than players can sprint away.
>
> why not make it so you can reload as you’re running? Gives players a good reason to “Run away”.

I absolutely agree. I have no problem with sprint personally but when you wake up every day and see that there’s a I hate sprint post up again you start to think it would be better for the majority of players if it was fixed in some way so people don’t find it a major problem.

I almost nether find that I lose a kill due to sprint but I do find myself surviving if I use sprint so maybe I’m just on the other side of the argument. It’s been great for me and I have no problems against it but others don’t want it so lets meet them half way so it’s good for as many people as possible.

Every time someone even has a chance to run away from me I either throw a grenade at them, shoot them or go after them which leads to a lot of assassinations.

I would like sprint if it were shorter can could be used as a sort of lead up to parkour moves like jumping up from walls and climbing up to other parts, even a wall jump or hang would be cool. The run distance would need to be heavily nerfed though to not bring back the " Run like @#$^! not fight like a Spartan " mentality Halo 4’s sprint brought. the little perks would have to go as well since they kind of served no purpose other than limiting what we could do in previous Halo’s that we liked and making it more like the 99 other shooter games out there. AA’s can stay but only the ones that 343 created and only as a Ordinance or on map pickup, once Camo and stuff got in there it just went to crap.

> Not to be a pain but, really “Running away problem”? is it too hard to shoot the other guy as he’s running away? bullets do travel faster than players can sprint away.

In a game where everyone moves at the same pace and can fire while moving, it’s not a problem at all. They either fight back or die, running from their problems isn’t an option unless they already put themselves close to cover.

In a game where you either shoot and hope you are fast enough, or sprint after him, it delays the game.

> If it’s about making sure players don’t sprint away from a fight, then another solution is if they disable when sprinting when shields or player are damaged and/or recharging.

What purpose does it serve? If you can’t run away from a fight all it does is let you move faster on enlarged maps that were done so to accomodate it.

It’s an entirely pointless feature.

And to the OP, why not just let people move fast to begin with? And according to these changes people never stop moving fast as long as they don’t stop moving.

Which is again, a pointless gimmick.

> But I still enjoy the faster speed sprint allows on big maps where I feel sprint is a great addition.

This I’m not particularly against though the Mongoose exists for a reason.

Just give a enable and disable option for sprint, and we’re good.

> Just give a enable and disable option for sprint and a map editor and the ability to tweak movement speed and weapon damage, and we’re good.

Fixed that for you.

Because there’s no way the developers are going to make maps that function for both sprint and non-sprint games.

This may be a controversial opinion but cutting out sprint entirely may be the best option.