New Search Preferences Are -Yoink-

Okay, so today I get home today ready to finally just relax and play some Halo. As soon as I turn on my Xbox, I join the FFA playlist. I get a decent match a reasonably skilled players and I place 3rd. Next match the map is Fathom. The entire game is just teleporting around unable to do anything wait angrily as I get splintered and storm rifled. I just pass it off as an unlucky bad connection from the of the players. I stay in the lobby hopeful that it won’t happen again. It ends up being the new map, Stasis. Again, I can’t finish a firefight without at least three teleports and magical grenades appearing right in front of my face. After the match I’m like -Yoink- this, I’ll switch the match finding settings to focused (It had been on Balanced). Instead of starting a new game, I wait in the search screen for 5 minutes before leaving and switching the settings back to balanced. Okay, maybe it was just a bad lobby I had been in. The match is on regret, and I spawn by one of the storm rifles on the top. Instantly I engage in a shootout with the player opposite me who had spawned by the other storm rifle. I get three shots out before teleporting 10 meters away with no armor. Obviously I die. Tired of whatever the -Yoink- this is I dashboard out. Are 343’s servers unable to manage one new mode without an insane amount of lag? Or are the servers matching players with Balanced preference against players with Expanded search preference? I don’t know, but one thing I do know is the lag has been getting worse and worse with every monthly update, and Memories of Reach has hit a climax.

I just went back on and played another game, 3 and half minutes in it was unplayable. I quit the match and I’m about to rank down for the second time due to this -Yoink- connection.

The matchmaking preference isn’t by no means perfect my friend. I also noticed the same thing… They have a lot of fine tuning to do. Really sever selection by ping would have been best. Basically like everyone else does…

I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.

> 2533274875982754;4:
> I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.

I haven’t seen any reduction in lag, but these new search options sure as hell haven’t done anything for my Halo 5 experience.

Btw, I just got banned from Arena. Thanks 343!

It’s the exact opposite for me! Been getting into matches with people of similar stats and rankings of mine, plus people with excellent internet to eradicate the lag :wink:

> 2533274875982754;4:
> I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.

True, what I said might only apply to me. So to make the preferences work there needs to be a fix to any issues OP and you guys are having.

> 2535460810182211;7:
> > 2533274875982754;4:
> > I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.
>
>
> True, what I said might only apply to me. So to make the preferences work there needs to be a fix to any issues OP and you guys are having.

It was working before. IMO they just need to do away with these preferences. The only people they benefit are players living in the middle of nowhere or extremely high ranked players, which causes bad lag and mismatched games, respectively.

Strange because its been working well for Most, They ain’t perfect but they are a massive improvement on what we had. And if you were teleporting i am pretty sure thats on your end?

> 2533274875982754;4:

I agree the lag has been reduced. I am also hoping it will stabilize over the next week or so. Its a step in the right direction… But time will tell if it lasts! lol.

> 2535468790032930;5:
> > 2533274875982754;4:
> > I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.
>
>
> I haven’t seen any reduction in lag, but these new search options sure as hell haven’t done anything for my Halo 5 experience.
>
> Btw, I just got banned from Arena. Thanks 343!

Good! Thats what you get for dashboarding. You left your team down a man. Shame on you. Deserve it

> 2533274828145268;11:
> > 2535468790032930;5:
> > > 2533274875982754;4:
> > > I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.
> >
> >
> > I haven’t seen any reduction in lag, but these new search options sure as hell haven’t done anything for my Halo 5 experience.
> >
> > Btw, I just got banned from Arena. Thanks 343!
>
>
> Good! Thats what you get for dashboarding. You left your team down a man. Shame on you. Deserve it

Sounds to me like a guy who is blaming their settings when it was actually his connection am pretty sure if its him teleporting then its his connection could be wrong.

> 2533274828145268;11:
> > 2535468790032930;5:
> > > 2533274875982754;4:
> > > I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.
> >
> >
> > I haven’t seen any reduction in lag, but these new search options sure as hell haven’t done anything for my Halo 5 experience.
> >
> > Btw, I just got banned from Arena. Thanks 343!
>
>
> Good! Thats what you get for dashboarding. You left your team down a man. Shame on you. Deserve it

It was FFA, as you would know if you had actually read the post. And the match was virtually unplayable. Literally couldn’t shoot someone without them teleporting.

> 2533274885506317;12:
> > 2533274828145268;11:
> > > 2535468790032930;5:
> > > > 2533274875982754;4:
> > > > I imagine there will have to be tweaks, so your feedback is important. I have been playing in focused and now have a 20% win rate plus my JIP matches used to be just one, now there are two or three. I am hoping it will stabilize, before going back to (un)balanced, I will give it another week. The lag has been reduced but not completely eliminated.
> > >
> > >
> > > I haven’t seen any reduction in lag, but these new search options sure as hell haven’t done anything for my Halo 5 experience.
> > >
> > > Btw, I just got banned from Arena. Thanks 343!
> >
> >
> > Good! Thats what you get for dashboarding. You left your team down a man. Shame on you. Deserve it
>
>
> Sounds to me like a guy who is blaming their settings when it was actually his connection am pretty sure if its him teleporting then its his connection could be wrong.

All I know is this has never happened to me before this update, and most of the people in the match were teleporting all over the place.

I dont really get many laggy games. Id say 1 in 20 games theres 1 laggy guy. Im from the UK if that makes a difference and i search using balanced still.

I assume setting your search preference to focused, the strictest option, only prioritizes the optimal region/server location and most even player skill values. Given enough time of failure to find a game it expands the search. So after a long enough wait it might as well be set to balanced or, worst case scenario, expanded. If this assumption is incorrect it would be good to know. It would also be good to know how it looks at server quality vs matching player skill levels.

From personal experience I cannot see a difference between focused and balanced, except focused takes longer. Some games are great and others not so much. I have not tried expanded, although I don’t know why anyone would.

Honestly, I don’t get it. I don’t get why this focused/balanced/expanded concept seemed like the way to go. We should be able to see where we sit when it comes to connection quality via server/region selection.

Am I one of the only few people that this matchmaking preference actually works for?
Because I’ve glitched once in the past 24 hours since the update has dropped.
Probably the exchange for me not getting the Phaeton Helios.

What part of the world you in?

> 2535434455150681;18:
> What part of the world you in?

Southern California

I’ve had small problems with connection, and big problems with finding players who are way more skilled than me. I ranked Diamond in Swat one season, the next one I was like Hmmm… Gonna get Ranked again. My first game, me team is beat bye 50 - 9. The other team was all Champions. My mind set was, why I tried this new Balanced, Expanded or whatever out, and still. People who are more skilled.

It doesn’t find people who are on my skill level, it finds people who are better than me, and ruins my enjoyment of the game. I’m glad this new system is here, I just wish it’d work better.