New player questions.

So. I bought the game when it was on sale a while ago, but let it sit until I finished prestige master in black ops 3. I just started playing it, and it’s super duper cool. Like -Yoink-. It’s crazy. I really like BTB and warzone, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some general tips or whatnot.

TTK is high in this, but there seems to be a lot of options and grenades seem more important then in other fps games, and I also love the vehicle combat, I got a 20 kill streak with a banshee, and it’s just a hilariously fun game.

I was wondering which REQ packs are considered the best to open, I’ve been simply opening all silver. I’m rank 20 now and have a desperate hard on to get a dmr for warzone, when should I start opening golds?

I also was wondering just like, what small tips do you have that makes your gameplay better? I have a positive KDR, and am not really looking for a general catch all guide for “how to fps”, but I was wondering what you guys could share about mechanics that might not be initially obvious.

bronze, silver then gold. check the req list regularly on site for what is unlocked for you.
bronze to get all the normal out of the way
silver for the uncommon and rare
gold for the ultra rare and legendary/mythic.

What he said ^ about packs.

As far as gameplay goes - although TTK is high (higher than CoD at least), you still don’t want to run out in the open very often. Be smart about how you attack things. Halo is and always has been about map control. Know where you need to be, know the high traffic areas, know all of the sightlines. Choose your engagements wisely as well - unless you have a powerful upper hand on someone (power up, power weapon), don’t engage a 2 on 1 - you will lose 95% of the time. Trading a 1 for 1 kill unless it’s objective isn’t winning.

Your rifle is your best friend, and paired with strategic strafing and/or thruster pack, you can outmaneuver opponents providing you can aim. In addition, learn to use the pistol. Once you get the AR commendation, the assault rifle basically shouldn’t even be an option. Use your grenades wisely as well, don’t get caught in useless spam. It’s better (in most situations, Warzone Assault mostly excluded) to die with not using your grenades than to use them foolishly. If thrown right, they can give you the upper hand when you’re in an odds against engagement.

Halo 5 (was) the only game I ever used my Elite Controller and it definitely helped. Being able to jump/strafe/shoot/move without moving my fingers from one button to another is awesome.

> 2533274850493408;3:
> What he said ^ about packs.
>
> As far as gameplay goes - although TTK is high (higher than CoD at least), you still don’t want to run out in the open very often. Be smart about how you attack things. Halo is and always has been about map control. Know where you need to be, know the high traffic areas, know all of the sightlines. Choose your engagements wisely as well - unless you have a powerful upper hand on someone (power up, power weapon), don’t engage a 2 on 1 - you will lose 95% of the time. Trading a 1 for 1 kill unless it’s objective isn’t winning.
>
> Your rifle is your best friend, and paired with strategic strafing and/or thruster pack, you can outmaneuver opponents providing you can aim. In addition, learn to use the pistol. Once you get the AR commendation, the assault rifle basically shouldn’t even be an option. Use your grenades wisely as well, don’t get caught in useless spam. It’s better (in most situations, Warzone Assault mostly excluded) to die with not using your grenades than to use them foolishly. If thrown right, they can give you the upper hand when you’re in an odds against engagement.
>
> Halo 5 (was) the only game I ever used my Elite Controller and it definitely helped. Being able to jump/strafe/shoot/move without moving my fingers from one button to another is awesome.

Haha I played hardcore modes in cod which is basically one bullet to kill, so yeah the TTK is really the biggest factor, I really lean toward OSOK options just because it still feels really foreign to have to train on a target for so long, I catch myself firing shots and then assuming they’re dead a lot more then then I should.

Also may I say that H5’s servers are absolutely stellar, I see a lot of complaints about them from lurking here, but dedi feels like a different beast entirely.

How do you feel about using Spartan abilities in combat? I’ve gotten a few lucky ground pounds, but they seem far less central to the game then in COD.

> 2533274911267611;2:
> bronze, silver then gold. check the req list regularly on site for what is unlocked for you.
> bronze to get all the normal out of the way
> silver for the uncommon and rare
> gold for the ultra rare and legendary/mythic.

Wait really? I thought going for the gaurenteed reqs would be better, is bronze actually worth unboxing? I assumed you wouldn’t get more then two perm REQs per four drops, so I just jumped to silver, is filling out the common section with bronze actually faster? Is this like a personal opinion or fact.

also thanks for the response.

> 2535445127272400;5:
> > 2533274911267611;2:
> > bronze, silver then gold. check the req list regularly on site for what is unlocked for you.
> > bronze to get all the normal out of the way
> > silver for the uncommon and rare
> > gold for the ultra rare and legendary/mythic.
>
>
> Wait really? I thought going for the gaurenteed reqs would be better, is bronze actually worth unboxing? I assumed you wouldn’t get more then two perm REQs per four drops, so I just jumped to silver, is filling out the common section with bronze actually faster? Is this like a personal opinion or fact.
>
> also thanks for the response.

Unlocking the best REQs is a process of elimination. Even though Gold packs can give you legendary items, they can also contain something as simple as an uncommon. They cost twice as much as silvers and 8 times as much as bronze packs, but all 3 will only give you 2 permanent unlocks. Even though bronze doesn’t guarantee permanent unlocks, they are still much cheaper than silver and you can just sell what you get out of them to get a partial refund. So in the grand scheme of things, the most efficient way to get everything is to buy bronze packs until you get all the commons, you’ll know if you have them all because then the packs will give you a partial REQ point refund. Then buy silvers until you unlock all uncommon and rare REQs, then work on gold.

As far as gameplay goes, I have some advice and a few tricks you might like to try. Since the TTK in Halo is higher than average, and precision weapons dominate the meta, I find it helpful to count the number of shots it takes to kill. Here’s how many shots each precision weapon needs to kill, assuming all hit and the last shot is a headshot.

  • Pistol - 5 shots
  • Battle Rifle - 4 shots (assuming every single bullet hits)
  • DMR - 5 shots
  • Carbine - 7 shots
  • Lightrifle 4 shots (hip fire) 3 shots (using smart scope)There are a few ways you can get a major advantage over your opponents. If you crouch and move, you won’t appear on enemy motion trackers. You can use this to sneak up on other players if you’re patient enough. When you see someone and they can’t see you, throw a grenade at their feet. If placed right, the explosion will remove their shields and make them vulnerable to a headshot, this tactic will let you kill players before they even know what’s going on.

Another effective tactic is to use the plasma pistol to charge up an EMP shot to knock out their shields then finish them with a headshot a.k.a the noob combo. It’s a very effective tactic, and the plasma pistol’s range and tracking significantly increase when you zoom in with it.

Also, welcome to Halo, Spartan.

> 2533274978553590;6:
> > 2535445127272400;5:
> > > 2533274911267611;2:
> > > bronze, silver then gold. check the req list regularly on site for what is unlocked for you.
> > > bronze to get all the normal out of the way
> > > silver for the uncommon and rare
> > > gold for the ultra rare and legendary/mythic.
> >
> >
> > Wait really? I thought going for the gaurenteed reqs would be better, is bronze actually worth unboxing? I assumed you wouldn’t get more then two perm REQs per four drops, so I just jumped to silver, is filling out the common section with bronze actually faster? Is this like a personal opinion or fact.
> >
> > also thanks for the response.
>
>
> Unlocking the best REQs is a process of elimination. Even though Gold packs can give you legendary items, they can also contain something as simple as an uncommon. They cost twice as much as silvers and 8 times as much as bronze packs, but all 3 will only give you 2 permanent unlocks. Even though bronze doesn’t guarantee permanent unlocks, they are still much cheaper than silver and you can just sell what you get out of them to get a partial refund. So in the grand scheme of things, the most efficient way to get everything is to buy bronze packs until you get all the commons, you’ll know if you have them all because then the packs will give you a partial REQ point refund. Then buy silvers until you unlock all uncommon and rare REQs, then work on gold.
>
> As far as gameplay goes, I have some advice and a few tricks you might like to try. Since the TTK in Halo is higher than average, and precision weapons dominate the meta, I find it helpful to count the number of shots it takes to kill. Here’s how many shots each precision weapon needs to kill, assuming all hit and the last shot is a headshot.
>
> - Pistol - 5 shots
> - Battle Rifle - 4 shots (assuming every single bullet hits)
> - DMR - 5 shots
> - Carbine - 7 shots
> - Lightrifle 4 shots (hip fire) 3 shots (using smart scope)
> There are a few ways you can get a major advantage over your opponents. If you crouch and move, you won’t appear on enemy motion trackers. You can use this to sneak up on other players if you’re patient enough. When you see someone and they can’t see you, throw a grenade at their feet. If placed right, the explosion will remove their shields and make them vulnerable to a headshot, this tactic will let you kill players before they even know what’s going on.
>
> Another effective tactic is to use the plasma pistol to charge up an EMP shot to knock out their shields then finish them with a headshot a.k.a the noob combo. It’s a very effective tactic, and the plasma pistol’s range and tracking significantly increase when you zoom in with it.
>
> Also, welcome to Halo, Spartan.

Sick. I didn’t know about the crouching thing, that’s smart. I should probably start using that and smart link more, do you know if there’s any accuracy differences in regard to using smart link vs not?

> 2535445127272400;5:
> > 2533274911267611;2:
> > bronze, silver then gold. check the req list regularly on site for what is unlocked for you.
> > bronze to get all the normal out of the way
> > silver for the uncommon and rare
> > gold for the ultra rare and legendary/mythic.
>
>
> Wait really? I thought going for the gaurenteed reqs would be better, is bronze actually worth unboxing? I assumed you wouldn’t get more then two perm REQs per four drops, so I just jumped to silver, is filling out the common section with bronze actually faster? Is this like a personal opinion or fact.
>
> also thanks for the response.

silver will unlock normal stuff but think, do you really want to pay 5000 Req for a silver just to have it be nothing but normal permenants?

> 2535445127272400;7:
> Sick. I didn’t know about the crouching thing, that’s smart. I should probably start using that and smart link more, do you know if there’s any accuracy differences in regard to using smart link vs not?

The zoom from using smart link increases the range of the weapon, your reticule will turn red on players from a farther distance than normal (meaning you’ll receive the benefits of aim assist). It also slightly decreases weapon bloom if the weapon you’re using has any, but it’s not 100% reliable because getting hit even once will knock you out of smart link.

I recommend only using it if they’re too far away to hit with hip fire.

> 2533274850493408;3:
> What he said ^ about packs.
>
> As far as gameplay goes - although TTK is high (higher than CoD at least), you still don’t want to run out in the open very often. Be smart about how you attack things. Halo is and always has been about map control. Know where you need to be, know the high traffic areas, know all of the sightlines. Choose your engagements wisely as well - unless you have a powerful upper hand on someone (power up, power weapon), don’t engage a 2 on 1 - you will lose 95% of the time. Trading a 1 for 1 kill unless it’s objective isn’t winning.
>
> Your rifle is your best friend, and paired with strategic strafing and/or thruster pack, you can outmaneuver opponents providing you can aim. In addition, learn to use the pistol. Once you get the AR commendation, the assault rifle basically shouldn’t even be an option. Use your grenades wisely as well, don’t get caught in useless spam. It’s better (in most situations, Warzone Assault mostly excluded) to die with not using your grenades than to use them foolishly. If thrown right, they can give you the upper hand when you’re in an odds against engagement.
>
> Halo 5 (was) the only game I ever used my Elite Controller and it definitely helped. Being able to jump/strafe/shoot/move without moving my fingers from one button to another is awesome.

This guy has got it laid out pretty well

> 2535445127272400;4:
> > 2533274850493408;3:
> > What he said ^ about packs.
> >
> > As far as gameplay goes - although TTK is high (higher than CoD at least), you still don’t want to run out in the open very often. Be smart about how you attack things. Halo is and always has been about map control. Know where you need to be, know the high traffic areas, know all of the sightlines. Choose your engagements wisely as well - unless you have a powerful upper hand on someone (power up, power weapon), don’t engage a 2 on 1 - you will lose 95% of the time. Trading a 1 for 1 kill unless it’s objective isn’t winning.
> >
> > Your rifle is your best friend, and paired with strategic strafing and/or thruster pack, you can outmaneuver opponents providing you can aim. In addition, learn to use the pistol. Once you get the AR commendation, the assault rifle basically shouldn’t even be an option. Use your grenades wisely as well, don’t get caught in useless spam. It’s better (in most situations, Warzone Assault mostly excluded) to die with not using your grenades than to use them foolishly. If thrown right, they can give you the upper hand when you’re in an odds against engagement.
> >
> > Halo 5 (was) the only game I ever used my Elite Controller and it definitely helped. Being able to jump/strafe/shoot/move without moving my fingers from one button to another is awesome.
>
>
> Haha I played hardcore modes in cod which is basically one bullet to kill, so yeah the TTK is really the biggest factor, I really lean toward OSOK options just because it still feels really foreign to have to train on a target for so long, I catch myself firing shots and then assuming they’re dead a lot more then then I should.
>
> Also may I say that H5’s servers are absolutely stellar, I see a lot of complaints about them from lurking here, but dedi feels like a different beast entirely.
>
> How do you feel about using Spartan abilities in combat? I’ve gotten a few lucky ground pounds, but they seem far less central to the game then in COD.

Ah yes, Hardcore CoD. Used to play the hell out of that in Modern Warfare 2.

Spartan Abilities in combat should be used pretty sparingly in my opinion. There’s a time and a place for ground pounds, but you just need to use it situationally, like when you have the easy drop on someone and they don’t notice, or you’re in mid air with almost no other way out.

I don’t like spartan charge, simply because I think it’s a bit of a cheap tactic given the smaller range of radar compared to previous titles. I use my thruster pack as a defensive tactic, mostly to get out of the way of people that spartan charge me. Obviously clamber and sprint are pretty basic - I like to scoot around the battlefield and flank enemies, and get the drop on them from above.

Thanks everyone for this thread, helps me out a lot. I’m on CSR silver 6 so I’m keen on improving.
Any other pro tips?
is there any advantage to always aiming for the head? Or better to aim for the head once the shields been dropped?

> 2533274829087804;12:
> Thanks everyone for this thread, helps me out a lot. I’m on CSR silver 6 so I’m keen on improving.
> Any other pro tips?
> is there any advantage to always aiming for the head? Or better to aim for the head once the shields been dropped?

When your opponent’s shields are up, they take the same amount of damage regardless of where you hit them. Best to aim for the chest until their shields pop, you’ll land more shots that way.

> How do you feel about using Spartan abilities in combat?

Spartan Charge can be useful at times. There isn’t really a wrong time to use it.

Ground Pounds are extremely situational, easy to miss, and will most likely get you killed if you do miss them. Plus its often better to just stick to the highground anyways instead of giving up that advantage for a single gimmicky kill. I’d advise just not using it at all unless really necessary (say a flag carrier walks under you and is unaware of your presence).

Sliding is good when you can, just don’t intentionally go out of your way to slide into everything.

Thrusters are good for escaping into nearby cover at long range. In CQC they can be used to get behind or around opponents, or to throw off an opponent’s aim when low shields. Trying to throw off the opponent’s aim leaves you unable to fight though, and you’ll likely die anyways unless a teammate is there to clean up the opponent.
If you need to thrust while sprinting, use spartan charge instead. Same thing but doesn’t consume your thrust meter.

There’s a few special tricks you can do with thrust, ground pound, etc. that will let you launch yourself further, jump higher, throw grenades safer, etc. but those might be beyond your grasp at the moment.

If you melee someone in the back it’s an instant kill. If you hold down the melee button you can do a prolonged assassination animation…but just be smart and go for the instant kill instead.

What they said about packs, bronze until you get no new reqs from them, silver until you get no new reqs from them, then start on gold. Tips for the game is get involved in a clan and create a fire team.
Its not uncommon to unlock your first dmr at around level 60

I would also recommend playing a lot of SWAT. Gets you used to aiming for the head, makes you not develop an over-reliance on radar, and helps your reaction times. Also gets you used to using the rifles and pistols that the game is based around.

Especially if you liked hardcore CoD you’d like SWAT.

well heres my tips
Needles. anything needle based is good. anything and everything. the pink shiny crystals of death rule all.

secondly, most people will tell you to get all the silver first which is a good strategy that works, but it works slowly. so i just blow it all on gold packs and i am doing great! ive got certs for every wraith, 2 tanks, brute pr, every needler, every carbine except the normal one, many MANY warthogs and gungeese, every ghost, banshee, couple sprnkr rocket launchers, 2 snipers, and a LOT more!

third suggestion is that the middle base in warzone is a must have. fortress, monument, spire, and garage. this is because they all have some kind of advantage to the game. one being that they’re bigger with more places to duck behind in case of banshees and what not, except for the spire. the garage and fortress give you vehicle access to the art of the battle but becareful when spawning one in the garage because people will sit on the opening and hijack you the moment you spawn. the spire also has warden eternal spawn directly in front of it and has tunnels that lead to the other 2 legendary bosses so you have easy access to the big targets. also i would like to add that the larger bases tend to be a bit more difficult to capture because of the amount of marines but you don’t have a good team then you’re not going to hold that base for long. because it is a bit harder to take, make sure your team gets it first.

  1. sometimes while your team is after bosses, the enemy will try to take your base while you’re preoccupied so make sure you’re not gone for to long or make sure that some one is near the base while you’re attacking the boss.

lastly, don’t quit. even if you’re in an impossible to win match. there are a few reasons for staying. one, if you quit 3 games within a certain period of time then you get temporarily banned. 2, i have seen many impossible to win matches get flipped around. 3, if you stick around then you can work of commendations and by staying you get more xp and rp for actually completing a match.

I hope this helped, sorry for any spelling errors, and these mostly apply to warzone but that last one is also important in arena.

> 2533274850493408;16:
> I would also recommend playing a lot of SWAT. Gets you used to aiming for the head, makes you not develop an over-reliance on radar, and helps your reaction times. Also gets you used to using the rifles and pistols that the game is based around.
>
> Especially if you liked hardcore CoD you’d like SWAT.

Haha halo swat feels like normal cod, I really like how rewarding of accuracy the pistols are.