New Mechanic/Control Ideas

Intro

I want to start a thread where we talk about possible mechanics and controls that could possibly be in Halo 5 Guardians. This could include the new “Spartan Abilities”. I’ll start off with three campaign/firefight mechanics for now and try to move into multiplayer mechanics. You are free to express your opinions on the provided ideas. If you wish to provide an idea then PM me your idea and I’ll update the thread with your idea with other suggestions. I’ll be sure to credit the source. I want to do it this way so the thread remains somewhat organized. Thank You.

P.S. Please no sprint topics, there is literally a sprint thread every week and we all know what happens when people see a sprint thread, please try to to suggest other ideas.

SUGGESTION #1:

Hunter Assassination:
The fans have wanted this for a while but the execution maybe questionable. The problem is Hunters are super slow and somewhat easy to get behind. I think that Hunter assassinations should require some requirements in order for it to be balanced. These Requirements are:

1. Be Behind The Hunter
  2. Have At Least One Grenade
  3. The Hunter Must Not Be Aware Of Your Presence OR
    You Must Make The Hunter Stagger

When you pull off the assassination you will board the Hunter like you would a tank and then plant a grenade and jump off. I require a grenade because a knife by no means should be able to kill a Hunter without cutting almost every worm that makes up the Hunter. And Realistically I don’t think that is very probably don’t you think?

Locational Damage and Jackal Sniper Fix: (Legendary)
Jackal Snipers believe it or not are still very much talked about subject in campaign. Some believe that they were balanced in Halo 3 when they were one shot no matter what. Some believe they are balanced in Halo 4 when they became two shot. My opinion, Halo 3 method is unnecessary, Halo 4 made them too easy.
My solution is location damage. This will come pretty close to the middle favoring Halo 3 slightly.

When a Sniper shoots you in the Head or Torso, it is a one shot kill.
When a Sniper hits you in the arm or leg it only strips your shield next shot will kill.
This begins to favor Halo 3 because Halo AI especially snipers tend to aim for your center of mass. So usually if they hit you it’s in the torso resulting in a one shot kill most of the time. However with a good strafe/jump and a little luck you can survive a shot to the arm or leg.

*Note that this situation is if you’re at full health and shields, damaged health and shields may change the results despite where you are hit.

Command Allies for Vehicles:
Everyone who has played Halo has had moments where they try to set up a rocket hog and the guy with the rocket launcher refuses to jump in the passenger seat and insists he should man the gun. With this fix this should hopefully end those 2 minutes of frustration.

If there is a vehicle and an ally on your motion tracker you can command an ally to ride in it. To command an ally point your reticle at your ally so it turns green. Then press one of the three directions on the D pad to command the ally to ride.

Left - Drive/Main Gun
Right - Ride Passenger Seat
Down - Man Turret

The ally will then man the position that you told them to. When inside a vehicle and you want them to dismount, simply press the same direction as you did in the directions above to force that person to dismount.

If there is more than one vehicle on your motion tracker the ally will jump in the one that you are closest to.

Thruster pack as a default player ability:

[/li]- Press LB to thrust/evade

• Use LS to choose a direction; if LS is not pressed, you boost in the direction you’re facing
  • Press A while airborne to double jump, i.e. thrust straight up
  • Press A and use LS to boost up in a direction; this will move you at a 45-degree angle
  • One use per recharge; this can be modified in custom game options

Good thread idea.

On Hunter assassinations, I’d say that if it makes it it should be like any other assassination (the only requirement being to be behind the Hunter) except that one “assassination”/boarding would not suffice. Three boarding a would be enough to kill a Hunter. You can either melee or throw a grenade, but the Hunter would pull you out once his he loses a third of his full health. Why? Because throwing a grenade into a Hunter’s bare back should do equal damage to doing the same thing in an assassination. In any case, this feature isn’t really necessary IMO.

On Jackal Snipers, I agree (assuming you’re talking about Legendary).

On marine commands, I think if they do it they can make the commands about much more than vehicle placements. There should be wait/follow and maybe even a target (if you click on a place the marine will go there and defend, if you click on an enemy they would focus fire on it).

My idea: Hacking Tool

This replaces the Armor Ability button. Your Spartan extends his arm and scan the environment around your cross-airs with a blue laser, activating or deactivating technology as well as gaining information.

In terms of basic gameplay (and this also applies to multiplayer) using it allows you to open closed doors or close open doors (which helps when in pursuit), it allows opening gates, turning on automated turrets, lowering or closing drop-bridges and basically using most of the map’s interactive elements. Scanning an invisible enemy should surround them in a red outline and place them on the motion sensor. This feature completely replaces buttons in the game (no more button pressing!).

In the campaign, this feature can also be used to gain information and hack into enemy databases (so it’d tie directly into the story). It can also be used for simple info- scan a gun and you can see how much ammo it has along with a short description of what it does, scan an enemy and you can see how much health it has, what weapons it’s using. Scan a corpse and you get details on the form of death along with a basic description of the species/unit.

Using the hack tool does not prevent shooting, as it only uses one hand. Only heavy weapons are put on standby when you scan when they require both hands ie. Rocket Launcher (this doesn’t include weapons like the Assault Rifle, eventhough they generally use both hands). Scanning can be long or short, depending on what you’re scanning (it varies). Most uses will only take a second, though, and it definitely doesn’t disrupt gameplay as you can still fire and walk normally (aside from heavy power weapons).

In multiplayer, the feature will come alongside a bunch of highly interactive maps which means you would use it a lot. You can turn it off in custom games (for pro/classic game modes, for instance).

Spartan Abilities:

Thruster Pack/Sprint: LB is now a universal movement button. Tap for a thruster pack boost, hold for sprint.

Double Jump: Double tap A.

Slide: While Sprinting, press crouch to slide.

Ground Slam: While in the air, holding melee will cause a ground slam with AOE damage. The higher you are at the start, the more damage is done.

Ledge grab: when a Spartan jumps for a ledge, and either just falls short or isn’t quite high enough to clear it, he can grab and pull himself up.

Other mechanics:

VISR: Pressing up on the D-Pad outlines the environment in various colours.

Vehicle Launch: Boosting vehicles like the Ghost can launch the player into the air. Ideal for ground slams.

Hunter Boarding: If a Hunter has had its spikes shot off, it can be boarded in a manner similar to a tank, and meleed or grenaded.

Some more ideas:

SWAT:
Instead of playing as Spartans you play as ODSTs. When you are killed you respawn instantly in a Drop Pod, then you drop into the battle field where the spawns are, takes about 3-5 seconds. The Drop Pod can be turned off, Drop Pod also can’t be used in indoor maps. You have no shields in SWAT so why not?

Stagger:
A game mechanic that will add some more usefulness for grenades and other explosives. Grenades weren’t that effective in Halo 4 as they were in previous games, on top of that if everyone is going to have a thruster pack in Halo 5 (which I think is a pretty good idea) there should be some sort of stagger caused by explosives. Basically if an explosion takes off your shields it causes a stagger effect. This effect will cause your screen to shake slightly, but you can still move and use weapons like normal aiming is just more difficult to do.

Skull: Dizzy
If the stagger effect is added to Halo 5 then this skull could also be a possibility. Basically you stagger slightly longer than normal, and all AI vehicles are driven more clumsy. This skull won’t effect vehicles that are essential to the mission such as the Scarab in Halo 2 The Great Journey (last mission) or the Mammoth in Reclaimer.

How? How can players rail against sprint but think default Thruster Pack won’t bring a whole new raft of problems?

It solves nothing – escaping attacks from a distance will still be a problem. It mangles close quarters combat now; it will extend the length of every duel while players jockey for position. Also, players complaining that sprint takes away kills they “should have earned” will now have the same complaint.

It might have been one of the less obnoxious AAs from H4, but that doesn’t say much. In this guys humble opinion, it certainly doesn’t warrant a base player trait.

End rant there, haha. As for base player traits, I’ll take VISR, double-jump, D-pad callouts. Anything that you can do while still being able to fire your weapon is okay. Anything else is highly suspect.

> How? How can players rail against sprint but think default Thruster Pack won’t bring a whole new raft of problems?
>
> It solves nothing – escaping attacks from a distance will still be a problem. It mangles close quarters combat now; it will extend the length of every duel while players jockey for position. Also, players complaining that sprint takes away kills they “should have earned” will now have the same complaint.

I see what you mean pulvis ira. However most of the problems mentioned with default Thruster Pack could be solved by a longer recharge. A recharge of about 10-15 seconds this will make you have to choose when you use the Thruster Pack wisely. You can’t just spam it to run away from fights. It will actually help encourage close quarter combat especially for the Energy Sword which was way under powered in Halo 4. With the long recharge they can’t use it to jockey for position like you said pulvis ira.

The reason why Thruster Pack is not nearly as bad as Sprint is because Sprint carries a much farther distance, and you could use it at will, even if it wasn’t fully charged. Thruster Pack does not carry you for 1/10 the distance and must wait for it to fully charge before you can use it again. I will say again that a 10-15 second recharge will keep the Thruster Pack used for utility rather than a crutch.

If the recharge was as quick as it was in Halo 4 then you would be 100% correct. But if the recharge was 10-15 seconds I am confident that it will be balanced and will avoid the problems you described.

Thank you giving your opinion though, it is 100% appreciated and things like this need to be discussed and concerned for. :slight_smile:

I think that if the thruster/sprint were to be default spawn then to balance the arguments about people running away. You can only thrust or sprint with full health. The second you get hit you loose the ability. Makes scence because a spartan shouldn’t be using more energy when he has little in him.

On topic: a good mechanic I think to add is a lot more assinations. A cool one would be with a pistol you go up behind them, knock them on there stomach and pop a shot in the back of the head.

Another mechanic would be to actually use the knife the spartan cones with. But it is only accessible when you run out of ammo. It is instant kill but there is no lunge. You have to hit them directly. (And with a possibility to be able to throw it, still thinking about it because I don’t know if it would be a good idea)

But kind of going off the throwing spartan knife thing, I think it would be cool to be able to throw the knife just in the midst of battle. Even if you have ammo. Of corse it can’t be instant kill because people shouldn’t spawn with instant kill weapons but if you hit them then it should either slow them down kind of like a stun to the person or remove the shields. I think maybe to balance it, you don’t get the use of a weapon right away, just so the other person can still react. (Or another thought would be once you hit them you have a small window while they’re stunned to run up to them and finish the kill like an assination)

I think if these were put in correctly it could work. Especially the thruster/sprint balance.

> How? How can players rail against sprint but think default Thruster Pack won’t bring a whole new raft of problems?
>
> It solves nothing – escaping attacks from a distance will still be a problem. It mangles close quarters combat now; it will extend the length of every duel while players jockey for position. Also, players complaining that sprint takes away kills they “should have earned” will now have the same complaint.
>
> It might have been one of the less obnoxious AAs from H4, but that doesn’t say much. In this guys humble opinion, it certainly doesn’t warrant a base player trait.

Thrusters only move you a short distance, whereas Sprint could put you halfway across the map. More importantly, Sprint had an innate “retreater’s advantage” in that you holstered your weapon; the other guy’s shields could recharge, you were at the mercy of any other enemies you ran into, et cetera. By contrast, Thrust wouldn’t stop you shooting, meaning you could give chase without being penalised.

In short, the arguments against Sprint cannot just be automatically carried over to Thrust.

I am one of those people who don’t want a Hunter assassination, I think it’s more rewarding when you kill it with you’re own skill (well… spamming nades)

BUT

If the mechanic worked like a Hunter has to be on low, low health to be assassinated I wouldn’t mind it.

I understand the distance travelled makes Sprint/TP an imprecise comparison. We’re still looking to change the way characters move quickly, and it offers up a whole new set of challenges.

I am first to admit, the proof is in the playing, and I’ll be the first to say “I was wrong, this plays awesomely.” But from where I’m sitting today, it’s going to negatively change the way we have close quarters fights/melees and long range duels. Unless we’re saying a player can fire while thrusting?

Didn’t mean to hijack the topic; TP as base mechanic is as valid as any other idea.

In addition to the VISR, double jump, etc., I’d like to see a few more melee moves. A grapple + kick could make for some intense melees. If the camera panned out to third person, like it does for assassinations, it would look extra sweet on the XB1 hardware. The caveat, of course, is that it can’t extend gameplay… 2-4 buttons at most, and the entire encounter shouldn’t take longer than an assassination animation in Reach/H4. Good old beatdowns/melees still apply, of course.

> I understand the distance travelled makes Sprint/TP an imprecise comparison. We’re still looking to change the way characters move quickly, and it offers up a whole new set of challenges.
>
> I am first to admit, the proof is in the playing, and I’ll be the first to say “I was wrong, this plays awesomely.” But from where I’m sitting today, it’s going to negatively change the way we have close quarters fights/melees and long range duels. <mark>Unless we’re saying a player can fire while thrusting?</mark>
>
> Didn’t mean to hijack the topic; TP as base mechanic is as valid as any other idea.
>
> In addition to the VISR, double jump, etc., I’d like to see a few more melee moves. A grapple + kick could make for some intense melees. If the camera panned out to third person, like it does for assassinations, it would look extra sweet on the XB1 hardware. The caveat, of course, is that it can’t extend gameplay… 2-4 buttons at most, and the entire encounter shouldn’t take longer than an assassination animation in Reach/H4. Good old beatdowns/melees still apply, of course.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. To clarify, I’m entirely against Thrusters that you can’t shoot and melee while using.

As for the Hunter assassinations, I think we should remember how assassinations work in regular gameplay, i.e. they can only be used on a player who would have died regardless. The same system should be applied to any new type of death animation. Once Hunters are within one melee of being killed, they become fair game for assassinating.

Great way to look at the Hunter Assassination/Board WrittenPoppy662

As for the thruster pack I still believe that a 15 sec recharge is good.