New Map Packs in SWAT

Being a primarly-SWAT player who has shelled out money for all three map packs, I’d like to ask why is it that I’m only playing the same four or five maps repeatedly (all default maps that shipped with the game)? The only expansion maps that ever come up in SWAT are from Majestic and appear at a rate of maybe 1:30 - oh, and when they do appear, which, again, is rarer than stumbling upon a legendary dog, they all appear together. After hours of the same five maps, your screen is suddenly blessed with a full bar of new ones, but, just as soon as they’re there, they’re gone again for another unknown expanse of time.

Why can I not play the maps I paid to play the way I want to play them? I haven’t regretted a season pass purchase this much since Six Flags and the sunburn summer of '09.

> Being a primarly-SWAT player who has shelled out money for all three map packs, I’d like to ask why is it that I’m only playing the same four or five maps repeatedly (all default maps that shipped with the game)? The only expansion maps that ever come up in SWAT are from Majestic and appear at a rate of maybe 1:30 - oh, and when they do appear, which, again, is rarer than stumbling upon a legendary dog, they all appear together. After hours of the same five maps, your screen is suddenly blessed with a full bar of new ones, but, just as soon as they’re there, they’re gone again for another unknown expanse of time.
>
> Why can I not play the maps I paid to play the way I want to play them? I haven’t regretted a season pass purchase this much since Six Flags and the sunburn summer of '09.

Matchmaking will try and match you with players that also have the DLC - if there isn’t a very high population for the playlist (At time of writing: 2526) you are going to be match made with players who do NOT have the DLC.

You can’t start a game on a DLC map if all the players don’t have the maps. This should be obvious.

Here is your SWAT history (60 of your last 100 games): http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=neFubaUz

The current maps in rotation for SWAT are:

• Haven* (8 Games)
  • Adrift* (11 Games)
  • Complex* (7 Games)
  • Abandon* (1 Games)
  • Solace* (6 Games)
  • Shutout (25 Games)
  • Harvest (0 Games)
  • Landfall (0 Games)
  • Monolith (0 Games)
  • Skyline (2 Games)
  • Daybreak (0 Games)
  • On-disk maps.

> > Being a primarly-SWAT player who has shelled out money for all three map packs, I’d like to ask why is it that I’m only playing the same four or five maps repeatedly (all default maps that shipped with the game)? The only expansion maps that ever come up in SWAT are from Majestic and appear at a rate of maybe 1:30 - oh, and when they do appear, which, again, is rarer than stumbling upon a legendary dog, they all appear together. After hours of the same five maps, your screen is suddenly blessed with a full bar of new ones, but, just as soon as they’re there, they’re gone again for another unknown expanse of time.
> >
> > Why can I not play the maps I paid to play the way I want to play them? I haven’t regretted a season pass purchase this much since Six Flags and the sunburn summer of '09.
>
> Matchmaking will try and match you with players that also have the DLC - if there isn’t a very high population for the playlist (At time of writing: 2526) you are going to be match made with players who do NOT have the DLC.
>
> You can’t start a game on a DLC map if all the players don’t have the maps. This should be obvious.
>
> Here is your SWAT history (60 of your last 100 games): http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=neFubaUz
>
> The current maps in rotation for SWAT are:
>
> - Haven* (8 Games)
> - Adrift* (11 Games)
> - Complex* (7 Games)
> - Abandon* (1 Games)
> - Solace* (6 Games)
> - Shutout (25 Games)
> - Harvest (0 Games)
> - Landfall (0 Games)
> - Monolith (0 Games)
> - Skyline (2 Games)
> - Daybreak (0 Games)
>
> * On-disk maps.

First off, I appreciate the response, especially one so in-depth.

I’d like to also quickly address the fact that, of the list of maps you’ve posted that I last played, two of the last 60 games have been map pack maps, rendering my 1:30 guess spot on. Shutout being a community map slipped by me, but I don’t feel its presence really defeats my point (as you can see, for the most part, the same five maps are played without the presence of map packs maps).

As for the issue, I think you’ve done a fairly good job of identifying the root cause, but I disagree with the notion that 2526 players is such an abysmal number. I’m curious what that number exactly represents as well (those with all the map packs, those with one, etc). Regardless, I think a good solution would be a “wait for maps” feature, or an “avoid maps” feature (although I think the former is a better idea). This feature would add time to your queue, because, as you have stated, there are only 2526 people to queue with, but would allow you to actually play the maps you paid for. I know that, personally, I’d rather wait five minutes to play a new map than play Shutout (a map I already played to death in previous Halos) for the billionth time.

I actually found myself queueing for the DLC matchmaking playlist today, but ended up leaving far too many games just out of lack of interest - really, SWAT is my one true Halo love. I’d like for matchmaking to accomodate that.

Play the Castle playlist. They have all the new maps with swat variants.

> Play the Castle playlist. They have all the new maps with swat variants.

This is what I’ve been doing, but quitting out of games more than half the time makes me feel quite rotten, along with being rather tedious.

I know I could just stay and play the non-SWAT games, but, personally, I’d rather watch paint dry than play CTF or Extraction with a bunch of silent randoms.

In order for you to see the maps consistently 343 would have to make it a DLC required playlist. And remember there may be 2500 people in the playlist but most of them are in a game. Maybe 10 to 15 percent are trying to match up at the same time you are. So now you’re looking at a player pool of 250-300 people thus lowering your chances even more. Personnally I feel like you do and wouldn’t mind some playlists being DLC required (not all) so that I can play the maps I bought too. Of course this would lower the population in those playlists but at least I’d get what I paid for.