New =/= innovative

Just a questions for the community when you personally you want new things or innovative things in halo 5 (any halo sequel). Are you thinking new and innovative to the series or to the FPS genre? Because I feel those are two very different things.

I want halo back on top of the LIVE play count I think we all do. But I don’t think a new game in a series can reinvent the wheel while maintaining its core since its been part of the wheel.

But adding this that are new to halo and been in other shooters is apparently a big no no. I’m trying to think of things I would add to halo that are not only new to halo because a lot of things in H5 are new to the series bt still getting s*** on. But clearly I’m no DEV cause I’m failing lol

What is something new to the series or the genre would you accept or wanna see in H5

Okay, here goes. I would keep traditional team slayer matches (time and kill limited games) for the traditionalists in the pack. Keep whatever other playlists you want too. But I would create a new game mode which is strictly slayer, but without any time limit, without any “win or lose,” without the traditional boundaries. It’s a match, probably rumble, but could be team based, which starts on day one of the game and never ends. You rotate in when you want to and quit when you’re done. You play for kills. When you leave you get a carnage report with k/d, kills/minute, all the other stats that tell you whether you’re good to go or need work. Maybe they could even implement a “virtual coach” that looks at your performance and makes practice recommendations, like which maps are best for honing which skills. Remember all those amazing matches that you never wanted to end? Well, now they don’t. Until you’re done. Nobody ever has to “lose” anything, unless they want to leave and go play traditional team slayer, so theoretically very noob-friendly, as well as being a great warm-up space for the seasoned. I guess you could say that what I’m describing is firefight, but against living players instead of an AI. I’ve always thought it would be awesome. Maybe that’s just me.

They should look for cross genre gameplay mechanics. Much like COD4 did by bringing a lot of RPG type stuff over to it’s MP.

I know H2’s button combos were an exploit but the idea of bringing fighting game style button combos to an FPS is not a bad idea. Gears did it very lightly with it’s active reload system. Button combos could be a very innovative thing for an FPS.

What about picking up object on the map and setting them down? I can’t think of any multiplayer fps’s that have done that effectively

> 2533274835305187;1:
> What is something new to the series or the genre would you accept or wanna see in H5

A better community that doesnt bicker over every little change that happens.

> 2533274799135257;5:
> > 2533274835305187;1:
> > What is something new to the series or the genre would you accept or wanna see in H5
>
>
> A better community that doesnt bicker over every little change that happens.

Oh god I’ve been using every 11:11 wish since the beta for this loll tho I do enjoy the constructive criticism that’s always good

• Interesting on map pick ups (not base traits or AA’s)

• As posted recently on the forum, an animation for a spartan to have him clamber back up to his feet from the ground after being ejected from a flipped vehicle

• An overhaul to the intelligence and personalities of Campaign AI, with simple commands that can be given to friendlies. Overhauled as in Brutes that move like primates, interacting with terrain and cover by climbing and swinging to an extent. Brutes that will berserk if you kill the leader first, or that will throw themselves in front of injured pack mates and help them get to cover. Deacon grunts whipping a squad of grunts into a (pathetic) bloodlust. This kind of thing would revolutionize the campaign without changing the lore or feel of the game.

• Being able to place AI in forge mode, such as elites.

• A community creation playlist where 343 hand selects game types and maps that were made in forge, like destruction derby maps, rotating every week or two.

• A game variant where everyone spawns in the same vehicles and battles it out in a vehicle arena.

• “Beast Mode,” which would be a gametype where players get to play as certain alien species. Fighting en masse as brutes, ODST’s, grunts, hunters, etc that behave closer to their campaign variants (unique control schemes)

• A version of Spartan Ops that is actually entertaining and the return of a Halo 3: ODST style Firefight.

• Mini campaigns, perhaps playing as the Arbiter or spec ops humans or elites.

There are tons of things that you can do with Halo. I don’t see why changing the core gameplay that made the game halo into something else is what anyone would ever want.

> 2535445272577794;3:
> They should look for cross genre gameplay mechanics. Much like COD4 did by bringing a lot of RPG type stuff over to it’s MP.
>
> I know H2’s button combos were an exploit but the idea of bringing fighting game style button combos to an FPS is not a bad idea. Gears did it very lightly with it’s active reload system. Button combos could be a very innovative thing for an FPS.

^This. Halo is not just a shooter in the lore. There are often hand-to-hand sequences, and they even planned to add this in Halo 2, but eventually scrapped it.

The shorter the combo, the better. BXB, BXR… Any melee-related button combo should return in my opinion. They should even add special animations for it.

Actually, the most fun I had in Halo Reach were the sword/melee battles… Maybe not that, but something similar would be great

THINK BIGGER PEOPLE. -Yoink- melee combos and -Yoink-.

I want to have scarab battles and base attacks where I lead an assault on a Covenant cruiser in a pelican with a team of 16 Spartans. I want to have a Left 4 dead flood mode where you have to fight your way to a Halos control room to light the ring and bring you to salvation. I want 16v16 space battles (Battlefront 2 style). Make BTB bigger, Make firefight bigger with objectives. Have a Battlefield rush game mode where you have to fight your way into a Covenant base on reach to destroy it from the inside.

THIS IS NEXT-GEN. Lets start innovating, not bringing in gimmicky mechanics to feel like change.

BUT THIS MEANS KEEP THE SAME MECHANICS AS HALO 3. ADD IN NEW GAMEMODES TO BRING IN CHANGE, DO NOT CHANGE FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY MECHANICS. This makes hardcore fans turn away but also fails to capsulate the other audiences who will just go to the next big title when it releases. We need a revolution!

(Also for Hardcores keep arena, and other types of classic game modes)

> 2535445272577794;3:
> They should look for cross genre gameplay mechanics. Much like COD4 did by bringing a lot of RPG type stuff over to it’s MP.
>
> I know H2’s button combos were an exploit but the idea of bringing fighting game style button combos to an FPS is not a bad idea. Gears did it very lightly with it’s active reload system. Button combos could be a very innovative thing for an FPS.

Omg this. I don’t really care for ground pound, but it should be activated by pressing reload/bumper/down d pad.

3 button push - Such a great idea make it a little more skill based and requiring dexterity.

Can’t think of any moves ATM. I had a great idea awhile back reading a thread similar to this. I forgot ATM.

That battlefield rush mode is a great idea

> 2533274821180847;7:
> - Interesting on map pick ups (not base traits or AA’s)
>
>
> - As posted recently on the forum, an animation for a spartan to have him clamber back up to his feet from the ground after being ejected from a flipped vehicle
>
>
> - An overhaul to the intelligence and personalities of Campaign AI, with simple commands that can be given to friendlies. Overhauled as in Brutes that move like primates, interacting with terrain and cover by climbing and swinging to an extent. Brutes that will berserk if you kill the leader first, or that will throw themselves in front of injured pack mates and help them get to cover. Deacon grunts whipping a squad of grunts into a (pathetic) bloodlust. This kind of thing would revolutionize the campaign without changing the lore or feel of the game.
>
>
> - Being able to place AI in forge mode, such as elites.
>
>
> - A community creation playlist where 343 hand selects game types and maps that were made in forge, like destruction derby maps, rotating every week or two.
>
>
> - A game variant where everyone spawns in the same vehicles and battles it out in a vehicle arena.
>
>
> - “Beast Mode,” which would be a gametype where players get to play as certain alien species. Fighting en masse as brutes, ODST’s, grunts, hunters, etc that behave closer to their campaign variants (unique control schemes)
>
>
> - A version of Spartan Ops that is actually entertaining and the return of a Halo 3: ODST style Firefight.
>
>
> - Mini campaigns, perhaps playing as the Arbiter or spec ops humans or elites.
> There are tons of things that you can do with Halo. I don’t see why changing the core gameplay that made the game halo into something else is what anyone would ever want.

I like the way you thinkkk

Halo will never be back on top. Its just the way it is. 343 should cater to the hardcore crowd as they are the only ones who stick around longer than a year.

> 2533274821180847;7:
>
>
> - As posted recently on the forum, an animation for a spartan to have him clamber back up to his feet from the ground after being ejected from a flipped vehicle
>
>
> - An overhaul to the intelligence and personalities of Campaign AI, with simple commands that can be given to friendlies. Overhauled as in Brutes that move like primates, interacting with terrain and cover by climbing and swinging to an extent. Brutes that will berserk if you kill the leader first, or that will throw themselves in front of injured pack mates and help them get to cover. Deacon grunts whipping a squad of grunts into a (pathetic) bloodlust. This kind of thing would revolutionize the campaign without changing the lore or feel of the game.
>
>
>
>
> - A community creation playlist where 343 hand selects game types and maps that were made in forge, like destruction derby maps, rotating every week or two.
>
>
> - A game variant where everyone spawns in the same vehicles and battles it out in a vehicle arena.
>
>
> - “Beast Mode,” which would be a gametype where players get to play as certain alien species. Fighting en masse as brutes, ODST’s, grunts, hunters, etc that behave closer to their campaign variants (unique control schemes)
>
>
> - A version of Spartan Ops that is actually entertaining and the return of a Halo 3: ODST style Firefight.
>
>
> - Mini campaigns, perhaps playing as the Arbiter or spec ops humans or elites.
> There are tons of things that you can do with Halo. I don’t see why changing the core gameplay that made the game halo into something else is what anyone would ever want.

these are all innovative ideas that go in the right direction, unlike halo 5

> 2533274821180847;7:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Very good. I hope 343 sees this post.

The actually Halo community is like “I see, I want”. Dont care about nothing more.

> 2533274821180847;7:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

And to think they say the community doesn’t have innovative ideas themselves :wink:

Awesome post.

> 2535460843083983;18:
> > 2533274821180847;7:
> > - Interesting on map pick ups (not base traits or AA’s)
> >
> >
> > - As posted recently on the forum, an animation for a spartan to have him clamber back up to his feet from the ground after being ejected from a flipped vehicle
> >
> >
> > - An overhaul to the intelligence and personalities of Campaign AI, with simple commands that can be given to friendlies. Overhauled as in Brutes that move like primates, interacting with terrain and cover by climbing and swinging to an extent. Brutes that will berserk if you kill the leader first, or that will throw themselves in front of injured pack mates and help them get to cover. Deacon grunts whipping a squad of grunts into a (pathetic) bloodlust. This kind of thing would revolutionize the campaign without changing the lore or feel of the game.
> >
> >
> > - Being able to place AI in forge mode, such as elites.
> >
> >
> > - A community creation playlist where 343 hand selects game types and maps that were made in forge, like destruction derby maps, rotating every week or two.
> >
> >
> > - A game variant where everyone spawns in the same vehicles and battles it out in a vehicle arena.
> >
> >
> > - “Beast Mode,” which would be a gametype where players get to play as certain alien species. Fighting en masse as brutes, ODST’s, grunts, hunters, etc that behave closer to their campaign variants (unique control schemes)
> >
> >
> > - A version of Spartan Ops that is actually entertaining and the return of a Halo 3: ODST style Firefight.
> >
> >
> > - Mini campaigns, perhaps playing as the Arbiter or spec ops humans or elites.
> > There are tons of things that you can do with Halo. I don’t see why changing the core gameplay that made the game halo into something else is what anyone would ever want.
>
>
>
> And to think they say the community doesn’t have innovative ideas themselves :wink:
>
> Awesome post.

So this is what is considered innovative by the older fans?
-Halo 3 equipment
-clamber idea is actually interesting (old players may like it now, but probably would be against it in practice if players get killed getting up)
-Improved AI (typical in sequel games anyway)
-Basically a custom firefight/forge Mashup of bots in mp (asked of since H2)
-fileshare w/ picks (Halo 3/reach did this basically)
-New Gametypes (custom rat race style, done in all halos other than spawning)
-here’s where I’m confused - you guys don’t want mechanics of gameplay changed, but want to play as various species that play differently? This doesn’t make sense to me, but I’ll put it in as the next real “innovation”
-spartan Ops 2.0/firefight 3.0/arby campaign (basically spartan ops/halo 2).

This is what willale older players rave and save the community from a slump after 3 months, yet adding new movement stuff at spawn will destroy it? All of these items, save a few noted ones, will feel stale SOONER than the gameplay itself.

This community split baffles me. But at least there are a few people speaking up finally.

Innovation in Halo / New Gameplay ideas for H5