New Halo vs old

I like the 343 Halos, (at least Halo 4) and Halo 5 looks pretty good so far. But the one thing that bothers me about 343 halos is that they are very much lacking a Halo feel. I know Halos been around for quite a while, and 343 is a different developer, But I personally feel that the game has become very dark and very competitive compared to Bungie’s Halos.

-No more stupid joke from the soldiers
-Crazy dialogue from the enemy
-No more hidden skulls
-No more funny light hearted cutscenes
-No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor

Not that the Bungie series was like Borderlands or anything, but i wish 343i would bring back that old Halo feel. ya know what I mean? Destiny feels like old Halo than the new ones

One thing I did really like was the funny names that would pop up for each chapter.

Yeah, a game can have a dark story while having fun and funny elements at the same time. Look at Reach and Halo CE.

> 2533274891747470;1:
> I like the 343 Halos, (at least Halo 4) and Halo 5 looks pretty good so far. But the one thing that bothers me about 343 halos is that they are very much lacking a Halo feel. I know Halos been around for quite a while, and 343 is a different developer, But I personally feel that the game has become very dark and very competitive compared to Bungie’s Halos.
>
> -No more stupid joke from the soldiers
> -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> -No more hidden skulls
> -No more funny light hearted cutscenes
> -No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor
>
> Not that the Bungie series was like Borderlands or anything, but i wish 343i would bring back that old Halo feel. ya know what I mean? Destiny feels like old Halo than the new ones

Well… Destiny doesn’t have anything from that list. Literally the only funny thing in Destiny is dancing. Apart from that it’s quite humourless.
And honestly, I really don’t see how any of these things were synonymous to Halos definitive identity. They’re all quite small elements, many of which weren’t even in a lot of Bungie Halo’s. I personally don’t see a problem, though I do see what you mean.
The change I think can be attributed at least in part to Microsoft. They’ve been pouring a lot into Halo recently. A show by Steven Spielberg, and the most expensive advertising slot on TV for a H5 trailer just to name two things, for crying out loud. They’re trying to boost it up to Star Wars/Trek level popularity. With that, I suppose you’re obligated to take yourself seriously, hence the emphasis on story and character development, as well as the lack of goofiness.

> 2533274891747470;1:
> -No more stupid joke from the soldiers
> I miss the funny marines sometimes. I also miss the marine cultural diversity. "Dear Sarge, kicking -Yoink- in outer space! Wish you were here!"
> -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.
> -No more hidden skulls
> Yeah I’m not quite sure why this feature wasn’t implemented lol. I would imagine it has something to do with H4’s more linear corridors and levels. You really didn’t have as much room to hide stuff or allow the player to explore.
> -No more funny light hearted cutscenes
> I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the cheezy one-liners Johnson and Chief used to take turns delivering? If so, I say good riddance. -No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor
> Thank Zeus! I hated all of those lol. They ruined the consistency of the experience and absolutely trolled my sense of immersion.

> 2533274803493024;5:
> > 2533274891747470;1:
> > -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> > I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.

In what way, have Elites and Grunts become ‘terrifying’ since they stopped speaking English? I genuinely want to know how many people have been made to feel actual fear of those alien screw-ups after a measly change in sound design…

The books and the games have differing design philosophy for a reason; video game A.I. is stupid. Unless your character model is an absolute abomination (just a disgusting, truly repulsive creature) there is nothing you can do as a game designer, to make 5 ft tall alien gumbas and colored predators intimidating.

Getting rid of comic relief (everywhere) to improve the Covenant in an area where the Flood will always be infinitely superior, I cannot support.

> 2535460843083983;6:
> > 2533274803493024;5:
> > > 2533274891747470;1:
> > > -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> > > I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.
>
>
> In what way, have Elites and Grunts become ‘terrifying’ since they stopped speaking English? I genuinely want to know many people have been made to feel actual fear of those alien screw-ups after a measly change in sound design…
>
> Getting rid of comic relief (literally everywhere) to accomplish something already provided in large by the Flood, I cannot support.

It’s not something I can really explain I think, they just don’t feel like legitimate alien threats when they are screaming about their shiny blue balls and food -Yoink!-. I’m not really more afraid of them, I am just more immersed in the game.

It all comes down to a matter of opinion, and I could really go either way but what I was saying is I understand why 343i made the design decision to make the Covenant not speak English anymore.

As far as the flood providing the “real threat” remember the flood were not in Reach or H4, the games without flood. Perhaps if we are hearing the Covies speak English again, it’s a hint the flood are back :slight_smile: I miss my floods…

> 2533274803493024;7:
> > 2535460843083983;6:
> > > 2533274803493024;5:
> > > > 2533274891747470;1:
> > > > -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> > > > I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.
> >
> >
> > In what way, have Elites and Grunts become ‘terrifying’ since they stopped speaking English? I genuinely want to know many people have been made to feel actual fear of those alien screw-ups after a measly change in sound design…
> >
> > Getting rid of comic relief (literally everywhere) to accomplish something already provided in large by the Flood, I cannot support.
>
>
> It’s not something I can really explain I think, they just don’t feel like legitimate alien threats when they are screaming about their shiny blue balls and food -Yoink!-. I’m not really more afraid of them, I am just more immersed in the game.
>
> It all comes down to a matter of opinion, and I could really go either way but what I was saying is I understand why 343i made the design decision to make the Covenant not speak English anymore.
>
> As far as the flood providing the “real threat” remember the flood were not in Reach or H4, the games without flood. Perhaps if we are hearing the Covies speak English again, it’s a hint the flood are back :slight_smile: I miss my floods…

Thats what I miss, the shiny blue balls & the food -Yoink!-. Also the marine screaming about how they are FUBARd

Both.

> 2533274803493024;5:
> > 2533274891747470;1:
> > -No more stupid joke from the soldiers
> > I miss the funny marines sometimes. I also miss the marine cultural diversity. "Dear Sarge, kicking -Yoink- in outer space! Wish you were here!"
> > I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.
> > -No more hidden skulls
> > Yeah I’m not quite sure why this feature wasn’t implemented lol. I would imagine it has something to do with H4’s more linear corridors and levels. You really didn’t have as much room to hide stuff or allow the player to explore.
> > -No more funny light hearted cutscenes
> > I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the cheezy one-liners Johnson and Chief used to take turns delivering? If so, I say good riddance. -No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor
> > Thank Zeus! I hated all of those lol. They ruined the consistency of the experience and absolutely trolled my sense of immersion.

What do you mean by Chief and Johnson taking turns delivering one-liners?

> 2533274932540799;4:
> > 2533274891747470;1:
> > I like the 343 Halos, (at least Halo 4) and Halo 5 looks pretty good so far. But the one thing that bothers me about 343 halos is that they are very much lacking a Halo feel. I know Halos been around for quite a while, and 343 is a different developer, But I personally feel that the game has become very dark and very competitive compared to Bungie’s Halos.
> >
> > -No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor
> >
> > Not that the Bungie series was like Borderlands or anything, but i wish 343i would bring back that old Halo feel. ya know what I mean? Destiny feels like old Halo than the new ones
>
>
> Well… Destiny doesn’t have anything from that list. Literally the only funny thing in Destiny is dancing. Apart from that it’s quite humourless.
> And honestly, I really don’t see how any of these things were synonymous to Halos definitive identity. They’re all quite small elements, many of which weren’t even in a lot of Bungie Halo’s. I personally don’t see a problem, though I do see what you mean.
> The change I think can be attributed at least in part to Microsoft. They’ve been pouring a lot into Halo recently. A show by Steven Spielberg, and the most expensive advertising slot on TV for a H5 trailer just to name two things, for crying out loud. They’re trying to boost it up to Star Wars/Trek level popularity. With that, I suppose you’re obligated to take yourself seriously, hence the emphasis on story and character development, as well as the lack of goofiness.

you must have played destiny for a short period i guess, a titan on the enemy team put up a bubble and starting capturing the flag and started dancing with his teammates as he knew i could not kill him and i chose to dance back, we started waving to each other etc until his bubble dissapered then we were foes again. stuff like this makes me love destiny, and all the stupid npc responses haha. so destiny not having humour is a dead wrong answer

and theres no obligation to become so serious that you can’t put in a lot of funny easter eggs. and once in a while comments but thats 343 taste I’m guessing, and I’m fine by that.

> 2533274932540799;4:
> > 2533274891747470;1:
> > I like the 343 Halos, (at least Halo 4) and Halo 5 looks pretty good so far. But the one thing that bothers me about 343 halos is that they are very much lacking a Halo feel. I know Halos been around for quite a while, and 343 is a different developer, But I personally feel that the game has become very dark and very competitive compared to Bungie’s Halos.
> >
> > -No more flaming heads, electric armor, smelly armor, grunt birthday party armor
> >
> > Not that the Bungie series was like Borderlands or anything, but i wish 343i would bring back that old Halo feel. ya know what I mean? Destiny feels like old Halo than the new ones
>
>
> Well… Destiny doesn’t have anything from that list. Literally the only funny thing in Destiny is dancing. Apart from that it’s quite humourless.
> And honestly, I really don’t see how any of these things were synonymous to Halos definitive identity. They’re all quite small elements, many of which weren’t even in a lot of Bungie Halo’s. I personally don’t see a problem, though I do see what you mean.
> The change I think can be attributed at least in part to Microsoft. They’ve been pouring a lot into Halo recently. A show by Steven Spielberg, and the most expensive advertising slot on TV for a H5 trailer just to name two things, for crying out loud. They’re trying to boost it up to Star Wars/Trek level popularity. With that, I suppose you’re obligated to take yourself seriously, hence the emphasis on story and character development, as well as the lack of goofiness.

Have you played Destiny?

The main game was full of small quircks here and there in terms of dialog. Then we have the legendary weapons, some names were just crazy, then there were the small quotes under the names as well which could be nifty. There are collectible ghosts to look for as well.

The DLC even makes fun of some Destiny stuff. For instance, noticed how your Dinklebot always welds something? If it’s not a panel, it’s a door. Eris in the Dark Below DLC can make a remark on the Omnigul strike when you open the last door. It goes “In its dying breath, the Traveler created Ghosts, to open doors”.

Destiny isn’t as serious as people think it is.

I have yet to have a Halo I didn’t like so I don’t feel the need to compare anything.

Why “vs”? We have it all on the Xbox One. All the classics (CE, H2C, H2A, H3) and the newer ones (H4 & H5).

We get it all! It’s pretty awesome when you think about it. Take a week off of work and just plow through all the campaigns with some matchmaking breaks in between … day 1: play Combat Evolve campaign & multiplayer. Day 2: Halo 2, etc.

I might have to do that.

> 2533274848860841;10:
> > 2533274803493024;5:
> > > …
>
>
> What do you mean by Chief and Johnson taking turns delivering one-liners?

“Oh I know what the ladies like”
“Sir, finishing this fight.”
“I need a weapon.”
“Get tactical, Marines!”
Basically they are the archetypal stereotypical action figure one-liners lol

> 2533274803493024;15:
> > 2533274848860841;10:
> > > > …
> >
> >
> > What do you mean by Chief and Johnson taking turns delivering one-liners?
>
>
> “Oh I know what the ladies like”
> “Sir, finishing this fight.”
> “I need a weapon.”
> “Get tactical, Marines!”
> Basically they are the archetypal stereotypical action figure one-liners lol

Oh right I get you now. I thought you meant something else.

> 2535460843083983;6:
> > 2533274803493024;5:
> > > -Crazy dialogue from the enemy
> > > I understand why 343i removed this stuff. The enemies are supposed to be terrifying, not comic relief. In the books, the enemies don’t joke around or make jokes as they are slaughtered. 343i is trying to create a more consistent universe, which I can support.
>
>
> In what way, have Elites and Grunts become ‘terrifying’ since they stopped speaking English? I genuinely want to know how many people have been made to feel actual fear of those alien screw-ups after a measly change in sound design…
>
> The books and the games have differing design philosophy for a reason; video game A.I. is stupid. Unless your character model is an absolute abomination (just a disgusting, truly repulsive creature) there is nothing you can do as a game designer, to make 5 ft tall alien gumbas and colored predators intimidating.
>
> Getting rid of comic relief (everywhere) to improve the Covenant in an area where the Flood will always be infinitely superior, I cannot support.

Like USS Galatica said I don’t think it was about us supposed to feel fear but more so about immersion and a cohesive universe as a whole. In CE I was immersed in the surface of the Halo fighting a very Alien threat and never did I think to myself " hey it would be great if that grunt started screaming about his balls" no the covenant felt real a serious threat ( especially on Legendary) now here comes halo 2 and all of a sudden all the aliens magically speak English except the ones that don’t cuz plot ( jackals and hunters) and in halo 3 the cheeky humor dial is turned all the way up with peeing brutes screaming about you murdering their lovers.

Hard to believe just a game ago they were legitimately a threat in presence and gameplay now they are just big stupid monkeys with hammers. There was no consistency then Reach came along and once again the UNSC’s translators magically don’t work further squandering consistency. Although I miss the Marines saying hilarious things outside of combat and some of the allied elites dialogue in halo 3 I do think the covenant speaking their own languages is a change for the better.

> 2533274803493024;15:
> > 2533274848860841;10:
> > > > …
> >
> >
> > What do you mean by Chief and Johnson taking turns delivering one-liners?
>
>
> “Oh I know what the ladies like”
> “Sir, finishing this fight.”
> “I need a weapon.”
> “Get tactical, Marines!”
> Basically they are the archetypal stereotypical action figure one-liners lol

I don’t miss the one liners one bit. 343 just actually has to think about quotable’s now instead of just thinking what would a 80’s action hero say here.

343i did add many Red vs Blue easter eggs

> 2533274872578239;19:
> 343i did add many Red vs Blue easter eggs

Those were minor compared to some of the easter eggs of the past like the scarab gun but I think (hope) we will see more easter eggs in halo 5.