NEW Halo: Reach map released!

With all the recent E3 news it’s a great time to be a Halo fan. I’m really excited. In the meantime I finally finished my debut Halo: Reach map, The Grid, and have decided to publicly release it, gain feedback from the awesome Halo fanbase and discuss it.

video link (US)

screenshot 1, screenshot 2, screenshot 3, screenshot 4

download link

The Grid was inspired by Tron, Tron: Legacy and Tron: Evolution, and pays homage to each of them with different parts of the map referencing a different part of the Tron universe. This ranges from the dark Bostrum Colony from Evolution, to the new styled Grid, Sea of Simulation and Rectified spaces of Legacy, to the old Games Grid of Tron (complete with the iconic cracked wall - offered as Phase 2 in Tron: Invasion) and the Energy Cavern that was also featured in the 1982 film.

Work began on the map in mid-January and ceased on the 4th June. Between that time spawn points and weapon placements have been designed, overhauled and play-tested. Loadout cameras have been meticulously placed. Gametypes have been completely refined. And map geometry has been tiresomely and precisely formed so that all neon lines are aligned and z-fighting has become extinct. No easy task to perform when co-ordinate editing is less accurate than imagined or required.

The Grid as it stands supports all varieties of core gametypes; Slayer, Oddball, KotH, CTF, Assault, Headhunter, Stockpile, Territories, Juggernaut, Infection and even Halo Chess! Although I prefer the custom game variants provided in order to get the best out of the map. It’s a small map, so it’s better suited to smaller teams (2-6), but will accommodate larger parties should it be required and will play nicely with large parties in FFA games. As for it’s style, The Grid was designed to be a fun map and therefore probably best suits the Living Dead or Action Sack playlists. I really hope you enjoy it!

Recommended Gametypes:

Compatible Gametypes:

• Slayer (Slayer, Team Slayer, Classic Slayer, Elite Slayer, Bro Slayer)
  • Oddball (Oddball, Team Oddball)
  • King of the Hill (King of the Hill, Team King of the Hill, Crazy King, Team Crazy King)
  • Capture the Flag (Capture the Flag, Neutral Flag, One Flag, Multi Flag, Speedflag)
  • Assault (Assault, Neutral Bomb, One Bomb)
  • Headhunter (Headhunter, Team Headhunter)
  • Stockpile
  • Territories (Territories, Land Grab, 3 Plots)
  • Juggernaut
  • Infection (Infection, Safe Havens, Alpha Zombies)
  • Invasion (Tron: Invasion)
  • Insane (Halo Chess, Speedpile)

So what do you think of it? Did you like the trailer? Do you like the Custom Gametypes? What was good/bad about it?

Please rate and discuss…

I played on this back when judging the contest, I really liked how you added a lot of color, as a tribute to tron.

Although it wasn’t very split screen compatible, and had some spawns that were iffy, I overall give it a 8/10.

Great use of color and it’s a great tribute map.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Good job on the map. It’s definitely a gametype specific map. Not too sure how it would play but I do love how the themes look. Now if you could make a race track … :wink: