New Halo Faction

If you were to create your own Halo faction to be included in Halo Infinite and/or future Halo titles, what would it be? How would it fit within the lore? Would it be completely new, or would it be based on / inspired by something that already exists within the canon? How would you fit it into Halo’s sandbox and combat loop? What would the infantry units be like? How would they act? What weapons would they use? Would vehicles would they have? What’s unique about them?
343i have introduced both the Banished and Prometheans as new factions in the Halo series. Would can you come up with? Be creative!

Existing Factions in Halo Canon
UNSC
Post-War UNSC
Insurrectionists (Multiple Factions)
Covenant
Post-War Covenant (Multiple Factions)
Banished
Swords of Sanghelios
Forerunner

• Sentinels
  • Prometheans
  • Warrior-Servants (Original Prometheans)
  • Builders
  • Etc.
    Ancient Humans
    Ancient San’Shyuum
    Precursors
    Flood
    Created
    Potential Individual Species Factions (Jiralhanae, Kig-Yar, Lekogolo, Yonhet, Unggoy, San’Shyuum / Prelates, etc.)

You could start with any of these or go in a completely different direction. The possibilities are endless. Just tell us what’s unique about this faction and how it fits within Halo.

I’d have to say I’d put in a more powerful Covenant splinter faction which is reoriented on destroying humanity (and whatever Covenant remnant that allies with the humans). I get that the Storm Faction (Jul M’Dama’s bunch) is already supposed to be this, basically, but they’ve been ineffectual at the best and a downright joke at the worst since their introduction, likely in an attempt to bolster the intimidation factor of the Promethians.

In any case, having a Covenant faction that poses a substantial threat again is my biggest wish. Maybe Atriox and his Brutes can ally with the Storm Faction and galvanize them into a more serious threat.

As far as how that’d play out in the game? A more Reach-like Covenant (Reach represents the peak of the Covenant in the franchise IMO) with the return of some of the more niche Covenant vehicles such as the Revenant and the Chopper. Spikers and Brute Shots coming back as well as potentially the Brute variant of the plasma rifle would be cool.

> 2533274861158694;2:
> I’d have to say I’d put in a more powerful Covenant splinter faction which is reoriented on destroying humanity (and whatever Covenant remnant that allies with the humans). I get that the Storm Faction (Jul M’Dama’s bunch) is already supposed to be this, basically, but they’ve been ineffectual at the best and a downright joke at the worst since their introduction, likely in an attempt to bolster the intimidation factor of the Promethians.
>
> In any case, having a Covenant faction that poses a substantial threat again is my biggest wish. Maybe Atriox and his Brutes can ally with the Storm Faction and galvanize them into a more serious threat.
>
> As far as how that’d play out in the game? A more Reach-like Covenant (Reach represents the peak of the Covenant in the franchise IMO) with the return of some of the more niche Covenant vehicles such as the Revenant and the Chopper. Spikers and Brute Shots coming back as well as potentially the Brute variant of the plasma rifle would be cool.

My only issue with this, is that from a story perspective, it’s severely underwhelming to continually defeat the Covenant in every few games with no real results. We defeated the Covenant in Halo 3. We defeated them again in Halo 5. If we defeat them for a third or fourth time, what impact is that really going to leave on the player?
The upside to having the Covenant return is that they are a naturally fun enemy to fight due to their variety, and their inclusion in Halo (gameplay-wise, aesthetically and even in terms of sound design) would keep the series feeling like ‘Halo’ as we expect it. It’s a double-edged sword.

I hear you completely. I just haven’t preffered any other opponents from a story or gameplay perspective (a lot of people agree with me on the Promethians being a vastly less interesting and fun enemy, but my choosing the Covenant over the Flood is a much less respected opinion).

The biggest issue the Halo franchise has faced in the attempt to blaze ahead chronologically of Halo 3 is in creating interesting and credible threats that can match the sheer Insanity and despairation of the Human/Covenant War and the fever pitch of it with the Flood in its final days.

It’s hard to make players feel invested to the same degree even when 343i throws things like the Didact threatening to compose all of humanity and evil Cortana turning almost all of our AI against us. These threats just don’t tap into the same sense of visceral Them-Or-Us despairation showcased most exceptionally well in Halo: Reach.

So again, I completely get what your saying. This particular well may be dried up. But it’s the one I’d rather try to drink from when presented with the other options 343i has put forward so far.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a mercenary guild type of faction. One where former Head Hunters who might have left the UNSC are a part of.

Another one to consider are maybe Private Military Contractors who work for any one of the companies such as Hannibal Weapons System, Imbrium Machine Complex, Lethbridge Industrial, Liang-Dortmund Corporation, or even Acheron Security, just to name a few. The idea would be an opportunity to learn more about these companies and how they interact within the Halo universe, especially when it comes to armor and equipment development.
Now while I don’t expect them to put them in game, maybe discuss and develop them through books, comic books, and other media.

Home Bound

After the rise of the Created and the Gaurdians devastated all the species homeworlds, there were many left hiding within space. Drifting. Waiting.

Soon these travelers made decisions to make contact once more with their people, for most this was a mistake. Others however found refuge on planets that the covenant previously glassed. Humans were first to make landfall and set up camp in and around their frigate. Not long after a cruiser of elites and grunts made orbit and sent scouts and attacked the human base in desperation. There were few casualties as contact was quickly established and cooperation made more sense to the struggling survivors. Tensions remained high but agreements were made and a new, small and unique society began to take form.

Half a year later a trio of Kig-Yar ships made discovery and helped generate trade routes to other hidden world’s, keeping distant from Gaurdian controlled space. Eventually more survivors joined, more races and more treaties. On this new world peace was still distant but at least they realised that fighting amongst themselves would be the downfall of this new home. Even the Brutes made effort to prevent their anger getting the better of them.

They traded together, worked together, even trained together. This planet was home now, and many others were bound to arrive

Let’s have some insurrectionists and covies team up against humanity. Don’t got a name for the group. But would be neat