New gametype idea: Smart Plots

The following is a proposal for a new game feature in Halo 4 that I call “Smart Plots”, and can be integrated into Slayer games or can be an Objective gametype of its own.

Smart Plots are like Territories or Hills in previous Halo games except they require a specified number of teammates standing inside the boundaries at the same time to be captured. This encourages teamwork and increases the difficulty level of achieving objectives.

A Smart Plot would have a number displayed overhead that shows the number of players on a team required to capture it. For example, if a Smart Plot requires three players to capture (referred to in this thread as a (3)Plot), it would have a “3” floating above it, like how a Hill in Reach displays the time remaining before it moves. The capture progress bar would not begin counting down until the required amount of players are inside, and stops counting down if players leave.

Once a Smart Plot is captured, it pays off with a reward. In "Smart Plot Territories" the reward can be a certain amount of points proportional to the difficulty of capturing that Plot. For example, if 250 points are required to win, a (1)Plot (which would function just like a Hill in Reach because only one player’s presence is needed) might pay off 10 points, and a (4)Plot might pay off 75 points due to the effort required to capture it. After a Plot is captured a new one appears somewhere on the map, and the required number is selected randomly, although lower values would be more common.

It would be possible for multiple Smart Plots to be on the map at any given time. For example, there might be two (2)Plots, and your team of four could either split up and attempt to hold them both if you’re losing, or have everyone focus on capturing one if you have the lead.

The overhead display would also show the total number of seconds required to capture and how many seconds remaining are required to capture for each team, the number of seconds before the Plot moves, and the point payout. These values would be customizable in Forge, as would the boundaries like any kind of zone in Reach.

Think of "Smart Plot Slayer" as a hybrid of Infinity Slayer and Invasion Slayer. Smart Plots would appear at random or regular intervals at random or fixed locations around the map during a Slayer game. Like weapon drops in Infinity Slayer, but even more so because they require movement in groups, the Plots would make Slayer more dynamic by promoting map movement including to areas of the map that typically see little play. Capturing a Plot in Smart Plot Slayer would trigger a weapon drop in that location after a short countdown, exactly like “reinforcements” in Invasion Slayer. Just like how the power of the reinforcements in Invasion Slayer is proportionate to the phase of the game, the power of the reinforcements in Smart Plot Slayer would be proportionate to the value of the Plot captured. For example, a (2)Plot might provide a full grenade refill for each of the players who capture it, a (3)Plot might provide 3 DMRs and a Sniper Rifle, a (4)Plot might provide a Warthog, and a (6)Plot in BTB might provide a Scorpion or a Banshee. More valuable plots would appear less frequently. Extremely rarely, maybe once or twice a game, a large plot set to the value of the total number of players on a team will appear (ex. an (8)Plot in BTB) with a huge payoff such as a fully loaded Rocket Launcher for each player.

To incentivize all players to capture a Plot even if they’re not personally grabbing the payoff loot, participating in a successful capture would also yield a significant amount of Experience and a medal, as well as counting towards a Commendation if H4 has them. (I predict that unlike in Reach where people were free to ignore objectives because neither winning nor cR really mattered, Experience will be a valuable incentive in Halo 4 because people will want to attain maximum level for all the Specializations.)

For a more competitive and level Smart Plot Slayer experience, Plots could pay off with points that count towards winning the game instead of actual power-ups, so the game is a mixture of King Of The Hill and Slayer that’s very similar to the 2-Flag Slayer gametype in Reach. For example, capturing a (2)Plot might add 2 kills’ worth of points to your score, etc.

If there are quitters in a Smart Plots match, the game would ensure Plots do not spawn with a value any greater than the fewest number of people on any team.

Bump since spammed off the front page in two minutes. Come on, I put effort into this.

i will have to read the rest of it later but i read the first few lines and i really like the idea

For one thing, 343 was finished with gameplay stuff months ago, but this seems like something that could potentially be put into 5 or 6 (I speed-read it, but I think I got the jist).

lol I did not read the whole thing either. :stuck_out_tongue:

> For one thing, 343 was finished with gameplay stuff months ago, but this seems like something that could potentially be put into 5 or 6 (I speed-read it, but I think I got the jist).

I know, but this isn’t a very radical change that requires new graphical assets, I’m not a programmer but I don’t think it would be any more difficult to add to an existing game than the new gametypes Bungie used to roll out for Reach such as Speedflag and Skirmish, which did not require a TU.

Sorry, I didn’t read the whole thing, but it sounds kinda like CTF Slayer. I think it would be a pretty decent gametype.

> > For one thing, 343 was finished with gameplay stuff months ago, but this seems like something that could potentially be put into 5 or 6 (I speed-read it, but I think I got the jist).
>
> I know, but this isn’t a very radical change that requires new graphical assets, I’m not a programmer but I don’t think it would be any more difficult to add to an existing game than the new gametypes Bungie used to roll out for Reach such as Speedflag and Skirmish, which did not require a TU.

It’s not that it would take a long time to code (it would, actually, but let’s just assume it wouldn’t), it’s the fact that two months doesn’t give them any time to polish it, so it would probably be sloppy and unpolished.

> > > For one thing, 343 was finished with gameplay stuff months ago, but this seems like something that could potentially be put into 5 or 6 (I speed-read it, but I think I got the jist).
> >
> > I know, but this isn’t a very radical change that requires new graphical assets, I’m not a programmer but I don’t think it would be any more difficult to add to an existing game than the new gametypes Bungie used to roll out for Reach such as Speedflag and Skirmish, which did not require a TU.
>
> It’s not that it would take a long time to code (it would, actually, but let’s just assume it wouldn’t), it’s the fact that two months doesn’t give them any time to polish it, so it would probably be sloppy and unpolished.

However long it takes, it takes.

If 343 brings back Megalo, it is entirely possible to implement this after release, when they have much more time. Remember in Reach when Bungie used Megalo to edit point gain for KOTH depending on the number of teammates in it (200% for 2 and 400% for 3 or more)?

343 could simply alter those values in the respective gametypes to something like 0% point gain for one player but 100% for 2 or more players along with adding an option to display more hills on the map (I’m using KOTH as an example). I also think 343 can indeed add apoint bonus for capturing Territories.

Only problem is that I’m not sure if 343 can have different hills have different capture rates (i.e. It may only be possible to have exclusively 2-SP Hills in a gametype instead of randomly having smaller or larger player count hills).

> If 343 brings back Megalo, it is entirely possible to implement this after release, when they have much more time. Remember in Reach when Bungie used Megalo to edit point gain for KOTH depending on the number of teammates in it (200% for 2 and 400% for 3 or more)?
>
> 343 could simply alter those values in the respective gametypes to something like 0% point gain for one player but 100% for 2 or more players along with adding an option to display more hills on the map (I’m using KOTH as an example). I also think 343 can indeed add apoint bonus for capturing Territories.
>
> Only problem is that I’m not sure if 343 can have different hills have different capture rates (i.e. It may only be possible to have exclusively 2-SP Hills in a gametype instead of randomly having smaller or larger player count hills).

I don’t think we know anything at all yet about the modularity of H4’s programming and how easy it is to make changes. I’m hoping it’s really simple so they could implement ideas like mine and all the cool stuff Bungie came up with in the first year or so of Reach’s life.