New Gameplay Function: Weapon Preference

How many times have you gone over a sea of dead bodies, looking for that sniper rifle that you know is there, or those rockets that could change the tide of battle if found? It seems like at least once every few games, I’ll go over some weapons, only to scream to the heavens wondering why I would ever want an assault rifle compared to the rockets… or a pistol compared to a sniper rifle.

When weapons are piled on top of each other, it’s literally a matter of pixels in regards to which weapon you’re going to pickup. I suggest that weapon preference be added to Halo 4. What I mean is, is that when 2 or more weapons are within close proximity to each other, you pick up whichever weapon you have set to preference above the other.

Example:

My preference would look something like this:

Rockets
Sniper
Grenade Launcher
Sword
Shotgun
Gravity Hammer
DMR
NR
Concussion Rifle
Pistol
Plasma Pistol
Needler
Plasma Launcher
Turret
(Whatever else I missed)
Assault Rifle
Plasma Repeater

With my preferences… In weapon graves, I would never pickup an assault rifle or plasma repeater, unless that’s all there was. I would always pickup Rockets first, followed by sniper, and etc.

This would prevent much frustration in regards to trying to pickup a weapon in a grave crowded area such as Countdown’s Top Health Pack, or Sword Base’s Yellow lift.

Has nobody had this issue? I feel like this is a suggestion worthy of many responses.

Oh lord yes, I was just playing Halo 3 on High ground, next to all the dead bodies in the sniper crevice, there was pistols, ARs, spikers, a sniper, and a shotty, I saw the shotty but it would absolutely never stay up for me to pick it up. So while I was looking like a moron a red guy just came along and blew me up.

Great idea.

Exactly! My brother and I would always scream “Weapon Preference! WEAPON PREFERENCE!!!” when situations just like these would come up. It’s really a difference maker when you can pick up the weapon you need for the situation that you KNOW is coming. It’s not like it wouldn’t make sense for a soldier of any kind to pick up the right weapon, or be noob friendly gameplay wise… It would just keep a small frustration out of gameplay.

I don’t seem to have this problem as much in Reach however, they didn’t do the preference idea but I think they increased the pickup range of weapons if they were all in mumbojumbo.

Still wasn’t that convienent in the heat of a situation when you need to be clutch.

Oh god, yes please. I had this kind of situation a while ago, as usual it ended up on me dying.

I have had similar situations in FFA, let’s say many people have died while trying to get a power weapon, now as there is clear, the power weapon should be easy to pick up, but it isn’t because there are fifteen ARs and pistols on top of it. No one will be able to pick up that weapon until the ARs and pistols dissapear.

Interesting idea… but what about objective items?

A few days ago I managed to get a Killimanjaro in multi-team. I had used up all the ammo in my AR and Pistol to get it and saw a sword on the ground and several people on my radar behind me so of course I went for that sword to get an even larger multi-kill.

I ended up picking up the darn oddball! Curse my bad luck. I was moving too slowly and died.

Would weapon preference come above objective items as well? Would that even be an option?

Would be quite annoying if the situation were vice versa; you’re trying to pick up the flag but instead keep swapping out weapons.

Grr… Oddball… I hate you. Could’ve gotten at least a Killtastrophe… -mini rage-

Personally I would prefer a system similar to the one used in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. You hold down the button used for interaction, and a small list of the possible items/weapons you want to pick up can be displayed. Then you just move your thumbstick up and down to choose the weapon you want. This might be a bit of a pain in the backside when you’re playing a hectic game of Slayer, but with a bit of practice I think everyone will get used to it.

> Interesting idea… but what about objective items?

I think you should be able to set whether you want the objective items to overrule weapons, and certain weapons to overrule the objective. For me, I’d rather pick up the rockets first 99% of the time than the objective, but that’s just MY preference.

The point of this would be so that everybody could set their own preferences, depending on what kind of player that they are. I have a few friends that would take the flag over anything, at all times, but that’s just how they play.

> Personally I would prefer a system similar to the one used in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. You hold down the button used for interaction, and a small list of the possible items/weapons you want to pick up can be displayed. Then you just move your thumbstick up and down to choose the weapon you want. This might be a bit of a pain in the backside when you’re playing a hectic game of Slayer, but with a bit of practice I think everyone will get used to it.

I think that would be great, happened to me before, I was trying to grab an obvious Splaser, when… whadda ya know, SNIPER. It’s really annoying.

Happened again ( not that it’s really a rare occurrence, but this one could have saved my life if it didn’t take 5 seconds). Tried to pick up the sword from the sword-guy I just killed, and couldn’t, so I ended up getting AR’d to death… lovely.

Good idea. I guess objectives would also come in the list of preferences, or maybe they will get overall preference automatically (i mean you should be trying to achieve the objective!)

Dont like the idea of holding it for a list, would take to long, and wouldnt look right on screen in a match.

But what is the situation if you have a pile of sniper shotgun rocket launcher (and your priorities are that order). You know the sniper only has 1 shot left in it (pointless getting) and you already have a sword. So how do you get to the rocket launcher, you have to pick up the sniper, change it for the shotgun and hope it’s moved far enough away that you can get the rocket launcher. I think developing this idea, whilst good in concept, does have some flaws, and would take alot of effort to implement, which i’d rather 343i spent using somewhere else within the game. I mean It’s very rare you get a huge pile of guns such that it is impossible to get the weapon you want.

I think this is a good idea but can back fire, my example is that say your top weapon is rocked but you need the sniper for the specific task, how would you go about finding the sniper, would it switch to sniper and not rockets?

> Has nobody had this issue? I feel like this is a suggestion worthy of many responses.

Please don’t bump.

Anyways, this is a cool idea, but I’d rather a cycle instead, so you can tap the weapon pick-up button, and it will cycle to the next weapon available to pick up, then hold it to pick it up, or tap it to go to the next one.

Think that idea is a good solution to your potential problems, and would be easier to implement

The problem is you need different weapons in different situations.

Say you have Sniper as your top preference.

What happens when a sniper and shotgun are in the same spot, in a close combat hallway? Oops.