New game type idea. Objective/Slayer hybrid.

So, thought of this interesting idea that can change ranked/competitive halo for the better. So imagine a CTF gametype where kills count towards victorty. Kill = 1 point and flag capture = 25 points. 100 points to win. So regardless if you are your teams main slayer or the objective guy everybody is helping the team.

Maybe the flag should be worth 10 cause I could imaging matches being over too quickly.

I would be up for this kind of gametype. I think it may even have been possible in previous Halo games. I wonder if it’s possible in Halo 5? Now, I’m gonna steal in on this here idea with a memory and a smattering of one-upsmanship.

Waaay back in the old Bungie days (maybe Ske7ch was writing community updates back then. Ske7ch, I summon thee), there was joking talk of implementing a gametype called Calvinball. I think it was during Halo 3’s development. Unlike the original concept from Calvin and Hobbes, I believe the concept was that all of the gametypes were in effect simultaneously.

That sounds fun, to me. Here’s my elaborate pitch for it: Imagine 6v6v2, and the first two teams have a bomb, a flag, a VIP, and a territory. There’s a territory in the middle of the map near a neutral bomb and neutral flag, a ball, and there’s a roaming hill zone. The first person to get a kill is the juggernaut. There are also racing zones that you can only see if you’re in a vehicle. The remaining team is two alpha zombies. Whenever someone dies they drop a flaming skull, and players can accrue those and drop them off at a territory for points once every minute (same with flags). The player on the highest spree is the King, and is worth more points (and skulls) if killed. Power weapons include a special Eliminator shotgun that eliminates any spartan killed with it, a special Reviver hammer that revives one random eliminated teammate when you get a kill, and a special Purifier spartan laser that turns any zombie it kills back into a member of their respective team.

I think I just about got all the gametypes in there. I think it would be delightful to see how such a gametype would play out.

> 2533274962122285;2:
> Maybe the flag should be worth 10 cause I could imaging matches being over too quickly.

The CTF we now have currently takes 3 caps to win. With flags being 25 and 100 is the score limit that can be up to 4 caps. Or a combination of a certain number of kills and flag caps. Such as 2 caps and 50 kills. I am not entirely sure if it would be too quick that way. We would have to test it out.

> 2678033349858034;3:
> I would be up for this kind of gametype. I think it may even have been possible in previous Halo games. I wonder if it’s possible in Halo 5? Now, I’m gonna steal in on this here idea with a memory and a smattering of one-upsmanship.
>
> Waaay back in the old Bungie days (maybe Ske7ch was writing community updates back then. Ske7ch, I summon thee), there was joking talk of implementing a gametype called Calvinball. I think it was during Halo 3’s development. Unlike the original concept from Calvin and Hobbes, I believe the concept was that all of the gametypes were in effect simultaneously.
>
> That sounds fun, to me. Here’s my elaborate pitch for it: Imagine 6v6v2, and the first two teams have a bomb, a flag, a VIP, and a territory. There’s a territory in the middle of the map near a neutral bomb and neutral flag, a ball, and there’s a roaming hill zone. The first person to get a kill is the juggernaut. There are also racing zones that you can only see if you’re in a vehicle. The remaining team is two alpha zombies. Whenever someone dies they drop a flaming skull, and players can accrue those and drop them off at a territory for points once every minute (same with flags). The player on the highest spree is the King, and is worth more points (and skulls) if killed. Power weapons include a special Eliminator shotgun that eliminates any spartan killed with it, a special Reviver hammer that revives one random eliminated teammate when you get a kill, and a special Purifier spartan laser that turns any zombie it kills back into a member of their respective team.
>
> I think I just about got all the gametypes in there. I think it would be delightful to see how such a gametype would play out.

That would most definitely be interesting. However their would be way too much going on to make this a viable competitive gametype. My idea behind a ctf/slayer hybrid is to reward the “main slayer” and “objective focused” play styles.

At 25 points I think the incentive to play for kills doesn’t exist too much.

I think the flag shouldn’t be too appetising but a strong team would benefit from controlling the flag caps even at 10 was what I was thinking.

or make the last flag cap worth more points. Or 1st 3 flags are 10 points each, then the 4th is 25, and then the 5th 50 points. So that if a team is pushing to hard for the flag caps it might back fire to maybe psych out a counter.

> 2533274962122285;6:
> At 25 points I think the incentive to play for kills doesn’t exist too much.
>
> I think the flag shouldn’t be too appetising but a strong team would benefit from controlling the flag caps even at 10 was what I was thinking.
>
> or make the last flag cap worth more points. Or 1st 3 flags are 10 points each, then the 4th is 25, and then the 5th 50 points. So that if a team is pushing to hard for the flag caps it might back fire to maybe psych out a counter.

You could be right with the flag being too appetising. This would be a gametype that would require testing with many different variables to determine what would work the best.

A pretty crafty idea. Something different. It would change the dynamics of certain team play that’s for sure. Everyone has a role anyway with the standard modes in place but I can see this changing things up a bit. Cool notion man. Spread it around more; get more feedback.

Seems like a very interesting idea good on you. Looks it can fit in with Team Objectives if the playlist exist that is. I’ll give it a run if we have the chance.

It will never happen. We cant even get a good object playlist the way it is.

> 2533274807946495;10:
> It will never happen. We cant even get a good object playlist the way it is.

Never say never man.

Also got an idea for slayer/strongholds. The point value of a kill is equal to the number of bases you hold at the time of the kill.

An other way you could do it is have a neutral flag as well with less points.

so basically, going by ur description in the first post, u want warzone scaled down for arena…

why not just play warzone instead?

Sorta like Breakout with infinite lives…

> 2533274962122285;13:
> An other way you could do it is have a neutral flag as well with less points.

That’s a neat idea.

> 2533274807364374;1:
> So, thought of this interesting idea that can change ranked/competitive halo for the better. So imagine a CTF gametype where kills count towards victorty. Kill = 1 point and flag capture = 25 points. 100 points to win. So regardless if you are your teams main slayer or the objective guy everybody is helping the team.

Didn’t they have this in 2 or 3? I seem to remember a mode like this. Might even be thinking of COD, but it was fun.

> 2533274807364374;12:
> Also got an idea for slayer/strongholds. The point value of a kill is equal to the number of bases you hold at the time of the kill.

This is how Destiny handles there Control gamemode. I think BTB at the least should operate like this because BTB Strongholds, as they are, take so long I’d get up to 40 kills after 1 team finally wins (and I’m not a great player so 40 kills is something)

There is a 2 Flag Slayer mode in Reach, the only game I played with that flag variant I remember being betrayed because I focused on the flag instead of killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB92qOCXyZI
(not mine)

That could be cool.