New game Idea, Halo: The Flood

Its been mentioned a few times on the forums by some people before, myself included, but I figured it couldnt hurt to possibly try and gain a some support for this. If we band together on a thread it is much easier to show support and this is what I ask of you my fellow waypointers.

In this game idea we would play the role of an ODST who was deployed (during covenant war) to a Covenant owned Forerunner facility in some random part of the galaxy (not a halo array). The squad drops expecting a fierce fight and is greeted with nothing but silence. They begin to explore the facility before coming across the beginnings of carnage. This is when all hell breaks loose. The squad is attacked on all sides by the flood. Your character survives, up to game designers how to implement that, but watches as his fireteam is brutally overun, slaughtered, and infected. Possibly one other member might survive and selfishly escape on a ship back to the UNSC frigate that dropped you, leaving you behind.

This is where the game really begins. We would play as this last ODST and try and survive the hell he is thrown into. Drop pods do not go back up to the safety of the ship. Approximately half the game would be played on the facility, fighting covenant combat forms and other forms of flood. Maybe even some new, disturbing forms. Eventually the ODST would find transport back to the ship, only to discover the ODST that escaped before unknowingly transported the flood to the ship. The ship is in late infection, few survivers left, and a few chapters later fully infected save for yourself. Before abondoning ship you must first destroy it while fighting human infections.

Game would play similar to Dead Space and to Resident Evil as far as mechanics. Third person shooter, hold left trigger to aim type game. Aesthetically the flood should be more monstrous than ever due to being seen through the eyes of an everyday and terrified trooper rather than a spartan. Multiplayer has a whole new world of possibilities.

I feel as if this game would make a killing. I would buy it as well as many others. Please show this game idea some love. Plot of course would be decided by game developers, I just tried to provide enough to kick start.

This sounds alot like the Mona Lisa.

are you aware that there is a halo book called the flood

Yes I am aware of that, it is basically the events of Halo CE written in book form. I realize the actual name of the game would have to be different but that title was the easiest way to let people know what this idea was about imo.

I am not familiar with the mona lisa (except the painting of course), what exactly do you mean by that?

Where would the flood exactly come from? The only flood remains in research facilities on the other 5 halo rings.

it is a halo origins motion comic/ story from halo evolutions. this is the motion comic

> Where would the flood exactly come from? The only flood remains in research facilities on the other 5 halo rings.

Just a remote forerunner research facility, i said not on a halo because I wouldnt really want it on one again, been there done that. Somewhere small and enclosed would work better.

& actually yes, A LOT like that it seems. Never really liked halo legends very much but mona lisa is a particularly good one it seems. So yeah, that, but in 3rd person shooter form i guess

Not a bad idea, but it needs something new. Not just a new race of covenant, or a new Flood form. It will also need to be something like a new version of ODST’s (covy odsts?) just so it won’t feel like a lazy copy paste from Halo 3: ODST.

> Not a bad idea, but it needs something new. Not just a new race of covenant, or a new Flood form. It will also need to be something like a new version of ODST’s (covy odsts?) just so it won’t feel like a lazy copy paste from Halo 3: ODST.

Well it wouldnt play like any other halo ever since third person shooter would work best for this kind of survival horror game. It would be made as a survival, horror, thriller. think dead space for the general idea of it

Came here expecting this thread to be about the book series and got excited…

Then I saw “3rd person” and began to cry

sounds fun but it would have to be in first person, and it could be halo odst 2 or maybe even three or something

i mean no offense but it seems you just want dead space with a coat of halo sprayed over it sounds kinda neat but would need to be more different from them play style wise or would be remembered as a ripoff money grab by 343

dont get me wrong a halo horror style game does seem interesting and with the flood there is potential

I think 3rd person is the best way to do a game like this imo, if you have played a 3rd person horror survival game you probably understand why I say that. It is no less halo for being 3rd person than Halo Wars was for being an rts game btw Robeadactyl.

Im not offended, I want a 3rd person horror shooter designed around the lore of halo and the flood. The flood needs to be scary in game for once, people would appreciate them more. Dead Space is the current leading game in the 3rd person horror franchise so why not take ideas from the best? Besides, only basic plot is similar to dead space: a 3rd person, space zombie horror game. Halo had the flood first though so its not like its copying it, you can almost say it is copying the mechanics but it is only the most basic game mechanics of view, movement, and aiming and you can find the same mechanics in Resident Evil as well.

> I think 3rd person is the best way to do a game like this imo, if you have played a 3rd person horror survival game you probably understand why I say that. It is no less halo for being 3rd person than Halo Wars was for being an rts game btw Robeadactyl.
>
> Im not offended, I want a 3rd person horror shooter designed around the lore of halo and the flood. The flood needs to be scary in game for once, people would appreciate them more. Dead Space is the current leading game in the 3rd person horror franchise so why not take ideas from the best? Besides, only basic plot is similar to dead space: a 3rd person, space zombie horror game. Halo had the flood first though so its not like its copying it, you can almost say it is copying the mechanics but it is only the most basic game mechanics of view, movement, and aiming and you can find the same mechanics in Resident Evil as well.

3rd person isn’t always better for horror games. First person adds it’s own element of horror to it. Ex: You can’t see something coming from all sides in first person. I think this would be a better story line for Halo 4’s spartan ops missions or something like that.

Id prefer a stand alone game, would feel much better with a different art scheme and they dont have to design it around the halo 4 game engine.

Ill respect your opinion on first person, if its what you like then to each their own. I like 3rd person because you can only see things to your side or from behind when they are already right on top of you and your screwed. Helps with the scare factor seeing yourself being screwed instead of going “Ouch! What was that!” Also turn times and movement speed is usually slower for 3rd person which I feel also adds to horror games. These are just my opinions on how I like my horror games though.