New forerunner artstyle is great, needs improving

With a lot people wanting the old art style of the forerunners to return, and hearing how the new style is inferior. I want 343 to know that people do enjoy the new style too! Ill be doing a lot of polls and going around to people all over the internet, to find if others like the new style too! The new style needs more variations of tones and colors. Also needing more ambiance. The new style feels more lively and advanced compared to the old style. The new style is more memorable and feels just as important as the characters in the game. I remember crashing onto Requiem and leaving the darkened crash, to the bright and bold floating architecture. I was awed as to how beautiful it was. As if it was created by much more advanced beings. Who built their technology to last for many years. Whereas the ancient feel of the old style, feels more dead and not nearly as advanced. As if humans could make that technology much faster than the new architecture.

i like the environments of halo 1 and 2 the most, probably because they gave off a vibe of being very ancient, mysterious, and forgotten (almost lonely). Some levels they were even eerie. The newer promethean and forerunner environments look nice but i don’t get the same emotions from them. i appreciate the aforementioned feelings i got from the old games more

I agree. The new art style isn’t bad, but definitely should be more like the classic Halo games.

I think if they just toned down the number of floaty bits and made it a bit more grounded it would look much better. Halo 4’s forerunner stuff looked pretty good, but I don’t like it in H5 or HW2 because it feels even more abstract and floaty whereas H4 had a mix of ‘familiar’ grounded construction as well as lights and a few floaty pieces.

I still prefer CE-3’s forerunner stuff of course, but I don’t entirely hate the new forerunner stuff (save in HW2 on the Ark), I just wish they’d tone down the lights and floaty architecture some.

I like the new style of the forerunners too. I think they nailed the looks of promethazine weapons in halo 5. I think it would be appreciated more if you had older forerunner weapons thrown in. Like a sentinel Lazer that looks like it came from halo 2 remastered. Just older looking weapons that are simpler to contrast the promethazine weapons so you really appreciate it.

Well halo 1-3 was supposed to be old and abandoned forerunner stuff so I think they captured that really good. In the new halos I think they should make the forerunner stuff a little less neon orange and blue and a little less floating stuff.
I also wish there was a little more variety in their architecture. I feel like everything is either neon orange or blue and I think they should use more white lights.

I agree the current art style feels out of sync with Bungie’s fore runner style. Today it feels very much alive whereas we saw the structures and style as old and ancient with mystery surrounding it.

> The new style feels more lively and advanced compared to the old style.

That’s probably because you went from the dormant and vacant Halo Array to a shield world that held the last living Forerunner in a prison ball. It felt alive because it was alive. And the old style was just as advanced.

> The new style is more memorable and feels just as important as the characters in the game. I remember crashing onto Requiem and leaving the darkened crash, to the bright and bold floating architecture. I was awed as to how beautiful it was.

Subjective. I remember random hallways on the Ark because of the color and detail on them that made them stick in my head after ten years. Getting out of the crash site on Requiem was indeed beautiful, but it was also something everyone else saw and took notice of because the game lead them there. The older Halo games are full of areas that are much more simple, yet memorable that most players would probably miss.

I feel like 343 should portray the forerunner structures as being completely monolithic, dormant, and covered in dust and crap but when they are activated/disturbed by lets say, a guardian or whatever the structure goes full on tron mode similar to the Necron tomb worlds from Warhammer 40k.

> 2533274881560701;4:
> I think if they just toned down the number of floaty bits and made it a bit more grounded it would look much better. Halo 4’s forerunner stuff looked pretty good, but I don’t like it in H5 or HW2 because it feels even more abstract and floaty whereas H4 had a mix of ‘familiar’ grounded construction as well as lights and a few floaty pieces.
>
> I still prefer CE-3’s forerunner stuff of course, but I don’t entirely hate the new forerunner stuff (save in HW2 on the Ark), I just wish they’d tone down the lights and floaty architecture some.

I agree with this completely. The Forerunner stuff in Halo 4 was great, because it felt like an off shot of the classic Forerunner style, easily explained by it being Warrior-Servant style of architecture. There was still a lot of variety in the colours that we saw, and like you said, there wasn’t much floaty stuff. It still looked and felt ancient, and from my understanding, didn’t replace the old architecture.

But in Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2? It’s awful. So awful. I mean, look at the Warden Eternal as an example. He’s made out of dozens of floaty pieces that don’t even touch. And the Retriever Sentinels? When they use their ability, they just go and expand into tons of floaty bits to be “cool-looking”, It’s not cool, it’s not logical. What makes things worse was that Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 replaced classic Forerunner style with this new stuff. In Halo 5, we were told that Genesis was a Builder installation, yet it has a Warrior-Servant style? And the maps on Halo rings (which were built by the Builders) are also misusing the Warrior-Servant architecture. And again, why does the Ark have the same 343i style? We’ve been to the Ark in Halo 3. We know that it doesn’t look the way they made it appear in that game.

I’m fine with the new style (though they could get rid of the excessive floaty pieces), as long as 343i respects the classic look as well. When we go to Halo rings and the Ark, they should look like they did in Halo 1-3. If we go to other, new places that were built by the Warrior-Servants, then sure, use the new style.

I like thinking that the new artstyle is the way Warrior Servants designed stuff and the old is the way Builders design stuff, well until Hw2 used the new one at least and Genesis.

wait werent shield worlds made by the diadact? and Genesis is a shield world… thats a builder facility… hmmmmm

> 2533275008945864;11:
> I like thinking that the new artstyle is the way Warrior Servants designed stuff and the old is the way Builders design stuff, well until Hw2 used the new one at least and Genesis.
> wait werent shield worlds made by the diadact? and Genesis is a shield world… thats a builder facility… hmmmmm

Genesis isn’t a Shield World. It’s an artificial world, but not a Shield World.

I like the floating bits of architecture here and there, but I do prefer the original art style. Although, I’d still like to have the floating platforms that you can use to get high ground against an enemy and use a ground pound.

> 2533274883849234;8:
> > The new style feels more lively and advanced compared to the old style.
>
> That’s probably because you went from the dormant and vacant Halo Array to a shield world that held the last living Forerunner in a prison ball. It felt alive because it was alive. And the old style was just as advanced.
>
>
>
>
> > The new style is more memorable and feels just as important as the characters in the game. I remember crashing onto Requiem and leaving the darkened crash, to the bright and bold floating architecture. I was awed as to how beautiful it was.
>
> Subjective. I remember random hallways on the Ark because of the color and detail on them that made them stick in my head after ten years. Getting out of the crash site on Requiem was indeed beautiful, but it was also something everyone else saw and took notice of because the game lead them there. The older Halo games are full of areas that are much more simple, yet memorable that most players would probably miss.

Just a few of those (speaking only of Forerunner) areas that the older Halo games are full of that I found more memorable than the vast majority of the newer stuff:
Many of the areas in;

Halo: CE: “The Silent Cartographer”, “Assault on the control room” and “Two Betrayals”.

Halo 2: “Delta Halo”, “Regret”, “Quarantine Zone”, “Uprising” and “The Great Journey”.

Halo 3: “The Ark”, “The Covenant”, Halo".

I have no problem with trying to make the “newer” Forerunner architecture look more alive, but what I really don’t like about what they did is that they just went too far in pursuing that aspect. Many of the places in Halo 4 and 5 are overdone. They also look too bright, to the point of being distracting because of the glare from all that shiny, bright lighting. I literally have trouble seeing in a few areas. And no… it’s not my TV settings. I’ve used the “Calibrate HDTV” feature on every TV and carefully followed the procedure because I want my games to look as good as they can with their given display. No other games (including any Halos prior to 4) have caused this problem and at least the majority of the non Halo games had a brightness or gamma slider if they did.

> 2535437652903765;12:
> > 2533275008945864;11:
> > I like thinking that the new artstyle is the way Warrior Servants designed stuff and the old is the way Builders design stuff, well until Hw2 used the new one at least and Genesis.
> > wait werent shield worlds made by the diadact? and Genesis is a shield world… thats a builder facility… hmmmmm
>
> Genesis isn’t a Shield World. It’s an artificial world, but not a Shield World.

ah thank you (pretty much the same thing, just renamed to avoid that I guess.)

> 2533274881560701;4:
> I think if they just toned down the number of floaty bits and made it a bit more grounded it would look much better.
>
> I still prefer CE-3’s forerunner stuff of course, but I don’t entirely hate the new forerunner stuff (save in HW2 on the Ark), I just wish they’d tone down the lights and floaty architecture some.

This. In CE-3 there was a lot of solidity to the architecture and as OP said, there’s a lot of mystery in the architecture. There weren’t as many polygons and sharp edges to the Forerunner art early on.

Same here. Totally love and prefer 343i’s style. So pretty. <3

I like the floaty bits.