NEW Forerunner Alphabet!

It would appear that just as soon as we are getting comfortable with the apparent Forerunner alphabet seen on the web and LIVE versions of Waypoint that a new, radically different alphabet has appeared.

The “letters” are much more uniform than past versions of the alphabet and are consisted of one or both border pieces filled with various forms of dashes and blocks. From what we can see, only one sized block will appear within the borders of any given letter.

When compared side-by-side with a 26-letter English alphabet, some small discrepancies arise that indicate that this is a truly unique alphabet possibly more reminisce of other alphabets (such as Spanish) where there are other, more specific characters.

From the limited available letters in the recently released Forerunner weapons wallpaper , a couple of observations can be made: (NOTE: Incineration Cannon is labeled Incinerator on this wallpaper)

-The letters “T” and “Y” share the same symbol.
-Double-“P” (i.e. PP) is coupled into one symbol instead of two. This doesn’t seem to happen to all double letters, however (note the double-“S”).

Interesting. Did you compile this all from the single wallpaper you mentioned? Where did this come from?

The alphabet certainly seems logical.

EDIT: The double P symbol (PP) theoretically matches the P symbol, if the pattern continues.

Just when I memorized the other one!

FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Where did this even come from?

What? I don’t even…? How can 343 suddenly decide to create a new forerunner alphabet? Doesn’t make any sense, how can the forerunners have two alphabets, we only know of one, then suddenly there’s another one that replaces the one we knew?

> What? I don’t even…? <mark>How can 343 suddenly decide to create a new forerunner alphabet?</mark> Doesn’t make any sense, how can the forerunners have two alphabets, we only know of one, then suddenly there’s another one that replaces the one we knew?

They own canon now.

> > What? I don’t even…? <mark>How can 343 suddenly decide to create a new forerunner alphabet?</mark> Doesn’t make any sense, how can the forerunners have two alphabets, we only know of one, then suddenly there’s another one that replaces the one we knew?
>
> They own canon now.

It might be a different dialect . Do note that in the Greg Bear books , it is mentioned that at least two Forerunner dialects existed: Digon and Jagon .

> Where did this even come from?

This. Link Please OP

Working on uploading it to photobucket. please forgive my crappy internet :confused: It should be up within the hour linked in OP

Alrighty, it’s updated! I also threw something else in there just 'cuz.

@iTeKoN: Going by the logical order of how the letters seem to go, it would seem like it is next. Perhaps they don’t use “PP” and instead only have a single “P”? Most of the other letters can be reasonably assumed to follow the basic formula (+1 marking for each sequential letter, then start over with a slightly larger marking for the next ones), but let’s play this one safe for now and only put up what we KNOW to be true.

Let’s use English as an example: There are so many exceptions to every “rule” that you normally have to look at context or special exceptions learned elsewhere to really know what’s going on. The direct match of “T” and “Y” is a good indicator that there are at least a couple of oddities in this alphabet :wink:

Im going to learn it >=D

> Im going to learn it >=D

Haha, this one should be a lot easier than the last one. If I had to pick if it was either Jagon or Digon, I would assume it is Digon. Digon sounds much more formal and structured where as Jagon sounds really similar to the word jargon. We know for a fact that we use at least one language (Latin) as a common root in many human and Forerunner words.

I can’t find the video link, but it was part 3 of the development vidoc nor can I find the original glyph thread from when H:CEA came out, but did anyone notice a single glyph at the end of the vidoc?

These symbols are used in the Halo 3 Terminals. Maybe we can see what they actually say?

Sure these are the same as the H3 ones? Got a link?

Yeah it’s not new, it’s just another form.

If I had to guess, in the context of the fiction I think it’s specifically a machine language. Think about it. That might explain why they would even have this “additional” alphabet. Think about it. We have certain types of code, text, and fonts meant to be read by machines, like the block numbers on a check or the dashes and dots on test answer sheets, for example.

You learnt the forunner symbols, that’s dedication.

(Do they translate to English or garble?

ITS ALREADY WRITTEN IN ENGLISH? YTF WOULD TRY TO MEMORIZE THAT NONSENSE. YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO MEMORIZE IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO COUNT!!!

Why is the first link in the OP to a RickRolled video?

Makes me think that all this is a bunch of s**t!

> > > What? I don’t even…? <mark>How can 343 suddenly decide to create a new forerunner alphabet?</mark> Doesn’t make any sense, how can the forerunners have two alphabets, we only know of one, then suddenly there’s another one that replaces the one we knew?
> >
> > They own canon now.
>
> It might be a different dialect . Do note that in the Greg Bear books , it is mentioned that at least two Forerunner dialects existed: Digon and Jagon .

Oh right that might make sense. I haven’t actually read any halo books, just played the games. Maybe I should :confused: