New Firing Concept: Updating the Mauler

Over the course of 6 FPS Halo games we have only had 6 brute weapons. The brute shot, the spiker, the mauler, the red plasma rifle, the gravity hammer, and the spike grenade. (I am unaware of the flame grenade origins however.) We have however seen much more “elite” class weapons that follow the traditional covenant style. To be specific, 12 +. To me, it feels like we are ready for a new brute weapon to fill the area where the covenant now lacks due to the scattershot. We need a brute shotgun.

This is how I propose it should work in order for it to stay unique. The gun fires 7 shots at once. 1 in the middle that fires straight and 6 in a hexagonal pattern surrounding it that spread out exponentially after the shot is fired. The weapon is 7sk with 5 stripping the shields and 2 finishing off the opponent at close range. So at close range, this weapon is a one shot kill. But, being that the 6 spikes surrounding the lone straight spread out farther the longer they are in the air, the gun is subject to the inverse square law. Meaning that if a player is twice the distance from you as they would be from a one shot kill range, they gun is 1/4 as effective.

So in a sense, the shotgun is weaker than it’s human or promethean counterpart at range but just as effective in CQC. But, being that only 5 shots need to hit in order to strip shields, it can be well used as a support weapon at mid range. There is always a guaranteed hit due the straight shot spike in the middle, but any other shots hit could be helpful in a group battle to strip shields while other finish the enemy off with a quick head shot.

I still do not have a good name for this weapon so feel free to post suggestions.

-Thanks, Hoosier.

Edit: After seeing the responses in this thread. I have realized that we could simply update the mauler into something more powerful. I have also changed the name of the thread to reflect that.

> I still do not have a good name for this weapon so feel free to post suggestions.

How about “The Mauler”?

We already have a Brute Shotgun, that could work the same way with some tweaks.

If dual-wield is still gone in h5, I could see this just simply being the new Mauler.

Raises hand to the air Face Palm

Why is there always one person who suggests re-skins…

Firm anwser is no. We already have two roles to fill that potential position… the Secondary Mauler, with its 6 shot clip, and the Gravity Hammer, a melee based weapon.

If you are talking about another close-quarters weapon… hmm perhaps but no a shotgun. Perhaps we could get an automatic with a ‘machete’ which has a charging function? Much like the Retro Lancer (Gears Of War 3)… or something of that nature but… seriously we have 2 Melee weapons (Energy Sword, Gravity Hammer), 4 Shotgun variants (Shotgun, Scattershot, Mauler, Boltshot)… plus not mention the combat knife and energy dagger…

Good description but I think a Brute Shotgun would be redundant with them already having the Gravity Hammer, Mauler, and Brute Shot. I always thought a Brute automatic weapon that fired horizontally spinning circular saw blades that can bounce multiple times off of multiple horizontal surfaces, like walls, would fill an indirect fire role that Halo has been lacking. The Scattershot tried to fill that role but its short range and spread made ricocheting shots ineffective in real world scenarios.

Let’s wait for Brutes to return before we give them non-Hammer weapons.

A sawed off shotgun could work

> > I still do not have a good name for this weapon so feel free to post suggestions.
>
> How about “The Mauler”?
>
> We already have a Brute Shotgun, that could work the same way with some tweaks.

what he said

Brutes don’t need any more close range weapons. If you ask me, we need more long to mid range brute weapons. True, it may deviate from their CQC bashing-heads-in techno, but weapon variety would be nice.

The Brutes need an analog to the DMR and Carbine: the Spike Rifle: Clip of 23, switchable firemodes, semi-auto and bursts of 2. Similar in appearance to the Brute Shot, but with a small blade on the bottom and a smaller overall size. Fires large Spikes. Headshot weapon.

I’ll even post this: a Hardlight Needler. Imagine that.

> The Brutes need an analog to the DMR and Carbine…

I respectfully disagree about a DMR/Carbine analog. It’s not the Brute’s style, you know? Hear me out:

They achieved starflight once upon a time, but they just fell into civil war and reverted back to a pre-industrial primitive state. That’s when the Covies discovered them. Long range rifles just aren’t their style. They smash at close quarters. This is why the Grav Hammer is their iconic weapon.

And the last thing Halo needs after 4’s weapon sandbox is another bullet hose of a different color.

Why not give the Jiralhanese something truly unique? A bolo weapon, or discus, or boomerang… something with a primitive overtones that requires brute force to use.

> > I still do not have a good name for this weapon so feel free to post suggestions.
>
>
> We already have a Brute Shotgun, that could work the same way with some tweaks.

You think the maulers a shotgun? The mauler is the brutes equivalent to the prometheans boltshot, yet they still have a scattershot?

Also it comes under “pistol” in desc, terrible statement to make on your part.

>
>

I was hoping to have something a little more powerful than mauler. It took three shots from point blank to be effective and if dual wielding doesn’t return then the gun is rendered near useless at that rate. As for the energy sword, it works almost like a shotgun within range. The lunge attack can secure an easy kill but because it is a sword it can be interrupted. Hence a shotgun with a unique firing motion that has the similar effectiveness of the scattershot within range. I was thinking it’s main purpose would be as a support weapon in group battles however.

> You think the maulers a shotgun?

A powerful weapon firing multiple rounds at the same exact time, with immense spread limiting it to close range. Yeah, sounds like a Shotgun.

> Also it comes under “pistol” in desc

The closest thing it could be to a pistol is a revolver using shotgun-like ammo (those actually exist). It otherwise functions nothing like one.

> I was hoping to have something a little more powerful than mauler.

We don’t need an entirely new gun though, we can just modify the current Mauler.

I don’t see how it will function as a support gun if it has such immense spread past close range.

> > I was hoping to have something a little more powerful than mauler.
>
> We don’t need an entirely new gun though, we can just modify the current Mauler.
>
> I don’t see how it will function as a support gun if it has such immense spread past close range.

Fair point. The exact radius of the “spreading” circle could be modified so that shooting say directly left of your target could have them get hit with 3-4 spikes at medium range. At that rate you can fire from the range of say an AR and still strip shields quickly.

> The closest thing it could be to a pistol is a revolver using shotgun-like ammo (those actually exist).

I have actually fired some. They’re cool.

I always thought of the Mauler as a brute shotgun.

The Gravity Hammer already fills the slot of “Shotgun Equivalent” for the Brute sandbox. And if it didn’t on it’s own, the Mauler (which is the Brute “Sidearm Equivalent”) supports it. What the Brutes need is a Utility Rifle. Something reminiscent of the Gears 2/3 style Hammerburst would be perfect.

After seeing the responses on this thread, I have changed the title to reflect an updated mauler with a new firing mechanic.