New Drop Pods

Anybody else not like the new style of drop pods? They seem really small compared to the old SOEIV pods from Halo 2 and 3/ODST. I always preferred the big black angular ones from ODST.

Sure the old ones may look cooler, but in practicality they were horrible at doing there job. But yes, I do like the old ones better for looks and looks alone.

Yeah, they look kinda odd, not enough to ruin the game or anything, but it is a design that should go back to the drawing board.

> 2533274974081836;2:
> Sure the old ones may look cooler, but in practicality they were horrible at doing there job. But yes, I do like the old ones better for looks and looks alone.

Why do you say they were horrible at their job?

they were not horrible maybe becuase you couldnt get a kill with it lol

For looks, the old SOEIV looks better. For practical reasons, the new ones are better. The older models had a high death rate from straying off course, being shot down, and death on impact. I believe the newer model uses small jets to correct death on impact and straying off course, while being shot down can only be fixed with added armor (which I have no knowledge of)

Yeah, compared to the H3:ODST pods, I hate these ones. They look like prototypes or something like that… well, compared to the ODST droppods, these ones just look super old looking.

I didn’t even know this was a thing (I’ve yet to be able to get into an Assault game). It makes sense to me that the design would have changed with all the UNSC’s technological improvements, but from the video I just watched, they seem a bit too cylindrical. It doesn’t really look like something made for battle.

> 2533274818737568;6:
> For looks, the old SOEIV looks better. For practical reasons, the new ones are better. The older models had a high death rate from straying off course, being shot down, and death on impact. I believe the newer model uses small jets to correct death on impact and straying off course, while being shot down can only be fixed with added armor (which I have no knowledge of)

Well we know absolutely nothing about them or their technical specs, except that they seem to smash down in perfect order each Warzone match.

Not sure where you get the lesser death rate from. I doubt there’s a lot you can do about being shot down though, anti-aircraft hits your pod and you’re probably headed to Valhalla. Death on impact was never much problem unless the chute and jets failed! And yes older ones had jets, used for course correction, slowing pod before landing, and to reposition the pod in case of poor landing sites. (Halo: The Cole Protocol)

i want drop pod skins, would be funny to see

> 2533274884387290;9:
> > 2533274818737568;6:
> > For looks, the old SOEIV looks better. For practical reasons, the new ones are better. The older models had a high death rate from straying off course, being shot down, and death on impact. I believe the newer model uses small jets to correct death on impact and straying off course, while being shot down can only be fixed with added armor (which I have no knowledge of)
>
>
> Well we know absolutely nothing about them or their technical specs, except that they seem to smash down in perfect order each Warzone match.
>
> Not sure where you get the lesser death rate from. I doubt there’s a lot you can do about being shot down though, anti-aircraft hits your pod and you’re probably headed to Valhalla. Death on impact was never much problem unless the chute and jets failed! And yes older ones had jets, used for course correction, slowing pod before landing, and to reposition the pod in case of poor landing sites. (Halo: The Cole Protocol)

Well, I’m pretty sure these are smaller than the old drop pods. So they’d be harder to hit. Right?

These now have toilet cushions at their base, which is fabulous!

> 2533274884387290;9:
> > 2533274818737568;6:
> > For looks, the old SOEIV looks better. For practical reasons, the new ones are better. The older models had a high death rate from straying off course, being shot down, and death on impact. I believe the newer model uses small jets to correct death on impact and straying off course, while being shot down can only be fixed with added armor (which I have no knowledge of)
>
>
> Well we know absolutely nothing about them or their technical specs, except that they seem to smash down in perfect order each Warzone match.
>
> Not sure where you get the lesser death rate from. I doubt there’s a lot you can do about being shot down though, anti-aircraft hits your pod and you’re probably headed to Valhalla. Death on impact was never much problem unless the chute and jets failed! And yes older ones had jets, used for course correction, slowing pod before landing, and to reposition the pod in case of poor landing sites. (Halo: The Cole Protocol)

The lower death rate was mentioned in a Canon Fodder awhile back, I think. Death on impact was a common occurrence, I recall it being mentioned somewhere (I think Halo: The Flood or maybe a Canon Fodder). We saw in Halo 2 that a small Shade Turret can shoot down a pod easily.

My theory for the perfect landing in the new pods is an onboard AI, similar to what is in the armor Spartans wear.

Thank you for the clarification on the older pods’ jets, I haven’t read Cole Protocol in a long while.

I wish they made a cutscene like ODST when you can see the last couple of seconds of your drop untill you crash into the ground and smash out of the doors.

when were drop pods in the game? did i miss this

> 2533274844198618;15:
> when were drop pods in the game? did i miss this

At the beginning of a warzone assault match…

ODST drop pods were legit. In Halo 2 when Chief popped out of one, you could tell he meant business. The new ones are lacking sadly.

> 2533274822969659;12:
> These now have toilet cushions at their base, which is fabulous!

I have not noticed this… have a picture?

> 2535422198232439;14:
> I wish they made a cutscene like ODST when you can see the last couple of seconds of your drop untill you crash into the ground and smash out of the doors.

Yes, this would be awesome! I don’t know if you ever played Medal of Honor: Airborne? In the campaign of that game you were able to parachute into the map and choose your landing spot, both at the start and when respawning. This would somewhat break this game of course but it would be very cool if you had the cutscene like in ODST for the start of Warzone matches.

> 2533274884387290;1:
> Anybody else not like the new style of drop pods? They seem really small compared to the old SOEIV pods from Halo 2 and 3/ODST. I always preferred the big black angular ones from ODST.

I prefer the old ones as they look more “human”. If you read some of the EU fluff like Glasslands it’s kindof explained. ODSTs and a Spartan rescue a few Engineers who take everything thing apart and upgrade it with Forerunner tech. Thats why there’s comns on Pelicans etc too. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

> 2533274818737568;13:
> > 2533274884387290;9:
> > > 2533274818737568;6:
> > > For looks, the old SOEIV looks better. For practical reasons, the new ones are better. The older models had a high death rate from straying off course, being shot down, and death on impact. I believe the newer model uses small jets to correct death on impact and straying off course, while being shot down can only be fixed with added armor (which I have no knowledge of)
> >
> >
> > Well we know absolutely nothing about them or their technical specs, except that they seem to smash down in perfect order each Warzone match.
> >
> > Not sure where you get the lesser death rate from. I doubt there’s a lot you can do about being shot down though, anti-aircraft hits your pod and you’re probably headed to Valhalla. Death on impact was never much problem unless the chute and jets failed! And yes older ones had jets, used for course correction, slowing pod before landing, and to reposition the pod in case of poor landing sites. (Halo: The Cole Protocol)
>
>
> The lower death rate was mentioned in a Canon Fodder awhile back, I think. Death on impact was a common occurrence, I recall it being mentioned somewhere (I think Halo: The Flood or maybe a Canon Fodder). We saw in Halo 2 that a small Shade Turret can shoot down a pod easily.
>
> My theory for the perfect landing in the new pods is an onboard AI, similar to what is in the armor Spartans wear.
>
> Thank you for the clarification on the older pods’ jets, I haven’t read Cole Protocol in a long while.

Hm ok, do you happen to know which Canon Fodder? Or a link? Its tough to search for that on a phone and I’d love to read about it. I think the book you cited was The Flood, and I also think that was later retconned, and while it was canon I’m not sure if it was officially sanctioned by Bungie or not, in the early days the books did not always precisely sync up with the games or established canon. The book also described pods which have an ablative skin which burns away to reveal a crash cage, which we have never seen in game, so not sure what to think here, in all visual media the pods are exactly the same both before and after insertion, maybe the pods on the Pillar of Autumn were older ones.

I think the death on impact was almost always due to a failure in the systems, such as jets not firing or chute not deploying, as long as these worked there shouldn’t be much issue unless the pod landed somewhere particularly nasty, such as water, maybe a swamp, volcano, etc. That being said, I can certainly understand the logic behind your suggestion regarding death rates, new tech is (hopefully) always an improvement on the old stuff safety wise and we do know that officers pods all have Class-C AI, such as Wellesley on Installation 04, in the post war years when there were more resources and such I can understand all pods having an AI, probably a very dumb one though.