New close quarters combat ideas

I did make a post about new weapon ideas but I didn’t think this would fit in very well
Now I’ve found hand to hand combat really boring and lacking of any skill at all, it’s just who gets the first punch in. I think there should be actual hand to hand combat like maybe blocking or kicking or something like that which would be activated by a combination of buttons. There would also be weapons for melee mode like your knife or maybe a machete or a sword(a normal sword) that you could find and pick up.
Thanks to that guy that gave the comment that gave me this idea
Tell me what you think about this

The Xbox Controllers have really limited number of buttons though…

Well, one issue in regards to melee that has developed with Reach is the combination Melee + Sprint.
People can close the gap too easy and too fast while their “victims” can’t stretch it as easy and fast and therefore melees have become more effective but also easier to perform = less skillful.

Another (longer established) issue that you already mentioned is that in almost every case the first who melees wins the battle.
That is because you only require one hit to take down the shields and overall two hits for a sole melee kill, what hardly lets room to counter it when you are the first who gets hit.

I think solving that with implementing an actual hand to hand combat system with blocks etc. would be counterproductive because it will likely slow down the battle and stretch out fights since and plus afterall we are playing a shooter and not a fighting game.

I think it would be better to just increase the amount of hits you require to kill someone with melee attacks. Likely increasing it up to 3 hits is already enough.
That would also give assassinations (1 hit melee) more of a value and acually rewards being sneaky.

So to increase “the skill” of melee kills I would suggest to cut out sprint (what would solve many many issues as well) and to increase the amount of hits that are required.

I have advocated a more advanced melee system for some time now. It’s a proper evolution to a classic halo trait. It can be done without breaking something fundamental.

I propose nothing over the top, and nothing that will change the duration of melee engagements as they exist today.

Instead of just weapon bashing, how about this:

To engage in a melee, initiate with a button combo (perhaps melee + zoom). Then, string together a series of button combos… no more than 2 or 3. I’m thinking: punch, kick, grapple. Combine any way you like. This won’t replace the good old one-button bash. It would be optional for those who want to use it.

This whole exchange should take no longer than 2-3 seconds. Certainly no longer than an animated assassination from Reach or Halo 4.

The upshot is more intense melee combat, more player interaction, and an overall more engaging multiplayer experience. 343 could animate the player models to do some really cool MMA-styled fighting moves. It could randomize some things, including a knife in the combat, or a pistol whip… all aesthetic things that do not alter the damage delivered.

Assassinations where a nice step forward, but the melee is still terribly outdated. Let’s take it to the next level.

*All this is largely inspired by the excellent RvB animations of seasons past.

I am among the crowd that wants to see the machete get in the game from the difficulty selection. They look awesome and it would be awesome to go at someone with that thing.

Why use a knife when you have a machete. We are supersoldiers here people! Give me something that shows that status.

It can also be a BA aesthetic for your spartan.

Elites (who should be brought back) could have something unique as well (the blade gauntlets from Reach?).

Overall I do agree that melee should be given some depth. BF4 really overhyped their counter-knife system which is ridiculously unrealistic. It should like a gears chainsaw dual or some kind of system where a brawl breaks out unless you hit them in the side or back.

Melee lacks skill because you aim in the general area of someone, lunge a significant distance, and only need to hit them twice (or once if damaged).

In Halo Ce there was no lunge, melee took three hits, and if you connected a hit you were rewarded with a faster melee animation. Personally I would keep the damage the same as it is now (two hit kill) but bring those other aspects back.

As for blocking, it just prolongs melee fights and leads to shooting being more favorable.

I agree with what Pulvis is saying about keeping the engagements times the same.

If you guys want to increase the required melees to three then we’ll have to be able melee a lot faster so that we keep melee engagements as short as they are now. If we increase the time it takes to kill someone then it’ll make melee combat too risky and it also gives the player too much of a chance to escape.

I do agree that removing Sprint could benefit melee combat. The fact that we will get an unused button would probably be something that could be used to innovate melee combat, not to mention the problems sprint causes but I’m sure we don’t need to get into that.

Now there is just this tiny little idea I had that might be good or possibly game breaking. I’m thinking maybe it’d be cool if there were a stun attack. It’d be a separate button to the main melee or maybe a button combo. It’d temporarily stop an opponent from using their weapon. This will not only increase the likely hood of melee battles getting started, but they’ll be more likely to end with fists instead of someone backing up and going back to shooting. Which isn’t a bad thing but if we’re trying to improve the game’s melee system then I’d like more chances to use the new system. It could also help to avoid situations where a player has rockets, walks around a corner and finds the enemy in CQC and blows both of them up. Instead the second player can stun the first player, temporarily taking the rockets out of the equation so that they can duke it out properly. I am however very worried that this could be abused. Thoughts?

I like the idea of a stun, but am not sure how it could be implemented in a melee system. The idea of kicking out an opponent’s leg (for example) to gain an advantage would be cool. Maybe just blindsiding your opponent with a melee would be a sufficient stun trigger?

I say that this is not the way to fix an issue like this, like others said there aren’t enough buttons on the controller to do this and it would make the controls more complicated than they need to be. The best way to do this is get rid of sprint so it is harder to close the gap on your opponent. The second thing to do is lower the damage of the melee attack. In Halo CE the melee wasn’t nearly as strong as the other Halos. The melee should be weak against shields and strong against unshielded opponents.

> I say that this is not the way to fix an issue like this, like others said there aren’t enough buttons on the controller to do this and it would make the controls more complicated than they need to be. The best way to do this is get rid of sprint so it is harder to close the gap on your opponent. The second thing to do is lower the damage of the melee attack. In Halo CE the melee wasn’t nearly as strong as the other Halos. The melee should be weak against shields and strong against unshielded opponents.

Only if the rate of melee attacks is increased so that the kill times stay the same, lets not forget how important that is everyone.

> Now there is just this tiny little idea I had that might be good or possibly game breaking. I’m thinking maybe it’d be cool if there were a stun attack. It’d be a separate button to the main melee or maybe a button combo. It’d temporarily stop an opponent from using their weapon. This will not only increase the likely hood of melee battles getting started, but they’ll be more likely to end with fists instead of someone backing up and going back to shooting. Which isn’t a bad thing but if we’re trying to improve the game’s melee system then I’d like more chances to use the new system. It could also help to avoid situations where a player has rockets, walks around a corner and finds the enemy in CQC and blows both of them up. Instead the second player can stun the first player, temporarily taking the rockets out of the equation so that they can duke it out properly. I am however very worried that this could be abused. Thoughts?

I don’t know if that would work either. If someone were to stun another person by melee let’s say as a defense mechanism, couldn’t they just get some distance between them and shoot em?

the issue i have with melee, well in Reach at least ,is that lunge

If they were to add more melee options, they better not be QTEs.

> > Now there is just this tiny little idea I had that might be good or possibly game breaking. I’m thinking maybe it’d be cool if there were a stun attack. It’d be a separate button to the main melee or maybe a button combo. It’d temporarily stop an opponent from using their weapon. This will not only increase the likely hood of melee battles getting started, but they’ll be more likely to end with fists instead of someone backing up and going back to shooting. Which isn’t a bad thing but if we’re trying to improve the game’s melee system then I’d like more chances to use the new system. It could also help to avoid situations where a player has rockets, walks around a corner and finds the enemy in CQC and blows both of them up. Instead the second player can stun the first player, temporarily taking the rockets out of the equation so that they can duke it out properly. I am however very worried that this could be abused. Thoughts?
>
> I don’t know if that would work either. If someone were to stun another person by melee let’s say as a defense mechanism, couldn’t they just get some distance between them and shoot em?

You’re right. There’d be nothing stopping someone from backing up and shooting their stunned opponent.

Maybe when the player stuns someone they’ll be stunned too. It’s a pretty big drawback but at least it will be on their terms.

I don’t think that I’m going to be the one to get the mechanics of this worked out but I think it’s possible.

It really would be nice to have something that lets us counter things like Rocket launchers in CQC.

> You’re right. There’d be nothing stopping someone from backing up and shooting their stunned opponent.
>
> Maybe when the player stuns someone they’ll be stunned too. It’s a pretty big drawback but at least it will be on their terms.
>
> I don’t think that I’m going to be the one to get the mechanics of this worked out but I think it’s possible.
>
> It really would be nice to have something that lets us counter things like Rocket launchers in CQC.

Maybe if they added a stamina based system. Stamina will be used when Sprinting (if it returns) and power melee attacks. A power melee will:

Briefly stun an opponent
Does more damage than a normal melee
Uses your stamina
Slightly slower than a normal melee
If both players power melee at the same time it stuns both

There will be a bar let’s say on the right side of the screen, will be shown when recharging or when being used. If it isn’t being used and its full it will disappear. (kind of like Skyrim)Unlike Skyrim though you need to have the required amount of stamina to power attack not just 1 stamina. At full stamina without using any stamina consuming actions (sprinting, maybe holding breath while sniping ect.) you can power melee 3x. Power melee is done by holding the right bumper when in front of an opponent. Doing it out of the opponents sight will be an assassination animation.

They could also make the sprinting system more dynamic (once again if it returns). They could do this by having more stamina be eaten away if the player sprinting is carrying a heavy weapon. (Rockets, Fuel Rods ect)

But that is the only way that I can see it working. That’s not a guarantee though.

Halo 2 had more skillful melee battles. With BXR’s and RXR’s melee battles had more depth to them. The “glitches” in halo 2 were a beautiful mistake, they should have been improved upon for the next halos.

IMO, the melee combat needs to go back to Halo 2.

I.E., if you aim straight, and melee at an enemy, but they crouch, you miss the melee since it didn’t automatically swing down for you. This makes melee fights more interesting, and would even make melee-Sprinters/double beat downers less frequent/more interesting to fight.