New Breed of Multiplayer...

Combine a mini-RTS system like Halo Wars buildings and researching with multiplayer or invasion etc.

Imagine instead of finding weapon or vehicle spawns you and your team had to deploy or secure a base and then use a sped up or simplified version of Halo Wars bases/research. Your team would have to develop a monogoose first, then a hog etc. You develop a DMR, then sniper, then rockets etc.

Capture flags or enemy weapons/vehicles to speed up your own technology research. Capture enemy buildings etc.

Sort of like invasion combined with Halo Wars and minified into a multiplayer experience. They’d have to keep it short like normal multiplayer games e.g. 15-20 minute games.

I could see this working objective into slayer more, thus rescuing objective from the lesser playlist life it enjoys now. It would also open up achievements, player customisations and in-game assets that make sense. Spawns are stupid.

Return clan matches, navigatable drop pods for spawning and mini Halo Wars bases/researching for the ultimate multiplayer games.

This just seems like a step up from Invasion. Which is good, in case my opening sentence suggested otherwise.

This might just be me but it sounds very tedious and slow spending 10+ seconds getting a mongoose when you can get one in under 5 seconds seems pointless.

You mean exactly like Battlefield 2142?

I imagine Halo offering the traditional core experience of 4v4 up to 8v8 along side a very fleshed out Invasion experience not unlike Battlefield. This experience could essentially be its own game entirely since it can have so much content thanks to the already fleshed out sandbox. Instead of US vs Russia in Battlefield, Halo would be Spartans or UNSC vs Elites or Covenant.

I ask this question. Can you substitute the vehicles in Battlefield with their Halo counterparts?

The answer is yes :stuck_out_tongue:

Make it happen!

> This might just be me but it sounds very tedious and slow spending 10+ seconds getting a mongoose when you can get one in under 5 seconds seems pointless.

It is all in the balance. Imagine a set of “on map or already in the base defaults” when the game starts. e.g. DMR and Warthog are useable of in base spawn points.

As the game progresses some of your team or yourself would research Pelicans or Lasers for anti-vehicle fights.

It creates a larger sense of sandbox and progressive gameplay we haven’t seen in Halo. Teamwork would also be paramount. This new breed of multiplayer also combines the best of objective and slayer for an insanely wide-appealing gametype.

Of course Halo would still have playlists so normal slayer, objective or MLG are always available too.

I wish they’d have a system like Starhawk: Build anywhere with different pieces using resources.

It’s great fun.

> I wish they’d have a system like Starhawk: Build anywhere with different pieces using resources.
>
> It’s great fun.

Starhawk looks like a unique take on “build and battle” things but feels a little too open range and dynamic.

I prefer crafted maps with flows in certain map areas and style of combat combined with player choices. Hence why I like the idea of the Halo Wars base rather than ad-hoc like Starhawk.

Having some options is good but limitations breed creativity, giving too much choice to players is too daunting and leads to mixed results for multiplayer games.

This system would have to strike a balance between developer design map areas and flows with the dynamic and choice driven nature of player driven content in game.

inb4 Halo doesn’t need to change! It was perfect in Halo 3!!!

Nice idea, OP, but I think that it would be too hard to make for a specific part of the community.

> inb4 Halo doesn’t need to change! It was perfect in Halo 3!!!
>
> Nice idea, OP, but I think that it would be too hard to make for a specific part of the community.

I like to think it appeals to a wide section of the community.

I wonder how many copies Halo Wars sold? That would give a good indication of player interest.

I had an idea similar to this called Overseer, well it wasn’t my idea, but it would be the coolest idea ever. Feel free to look/comment on it if you want
<mark>Overseer</mark>

A first-person RTS would be fun! The development time would be lengthy, however, and might necessitate a separate spin-off title.

> A first-person RTS would be fun! The development time would be lengthy, however, and might necessitate a separate spin-off title.

I would really enjoy such a game type and innovation to FPS genre. I would prefer it was kept simple and fast, maybe have a personal monitor or AI to sit and do the work, maybe have to protect them until research or buildings are complete.

They could also provide some interesting concepts like deploying teleporter nodes, similar to point and shoot straight line of hologram.

They could also be like enemy radar mapping from afar or spies as in many other RTS games.

With some simple tricks combined with the existing engine from forge and spawn timers etc I don’t think the development would be that intensive really.

Imagine what the community would create with those multiplayer and forge tools.

> I had an idea similar to this called Overseer, well it wasn’t my idea, but it would be the coolest idea ever. Feel free to look/comment on it if you want
> <mark>Overseer</mark>

It is an interesting post you have there but I’d prefer all players to have the same abilities. Imagine the greifing otherwise…far to abuse prone.

Our ideas on wireframe objects with timers so the enemy sees what is coming is pretty well thought out. I’d agree with most of what you are saying in your post mate.

> A first-person RTS would be fun! The development time would be lengthy, however, and might necessitate a separate spin-off title.

Warsoup would like your’s, and other people’s attention.

> > A first-person RTS would be fun! The development time would be lengthy, however, and might necessitate a separate spin-off title.
>
> Warsoup would like your’s, and other people’s attention.

Why thank you good sir. Seems like some nice work going on there. I’ll keep an eye on that.

Seems like an early build but that is the sort of simplicity RTS FPS real time would need. Maybe less franticandoften.

cool idea, but won’t happen. I’m not even sure if we’ll see Invasion returning, because the covenant is not the main enemy anymore.

I thought about a new mode long ago, then- months later- I wrote this up:

> Ok, here I go…
>
> This mode will merge Firefight with Multiplayer, and will work like this:
>
> 16 vs 16 players, all spawn in their motherships. There, they select weapons from a pile and when they’re ready they will drop down in ODST drop pods. The players are joined either with their party (4 players max) or by AI. Each group of human/AIs will be called a squad. A squad will always consist of 4 teammates (players or AI). There are always 4 squads per faction. This means that the minimum number of player is 8, max is 32.
>
> Each squad will have a squad leader that will command his teammates. There are a number of commands for the AI (using the D-PAD/Kinect) and when using it on live players a waypoint will show up on their screen instead. When your squad is killed off you will enter Lone Wolf mode and will have to regroup with your squad at the perimeter (you must set a perimeter for your faction at the beginning of each mission).
>
> The game then becomes a hybrid of slayer, capture the flag, assault and VIP- the main objective will be to reach 500 kills, but side objectives of said game types will keep appearing and will work as an action->reaction type of objectives where (for instance) if the other team captures your flag (or core, or whatever) you will have to take it back or if they destroy your base (which slowly gets built up after you set a perimeter) you will have to reset your perimeter in an undamaged location.
>
> The gametype works on points. Each kill, medal and objective will grant you points. These points will be used to call in vehicles/weapons from the mothership and to upgrade yourself or your squad. What does that mean? Well, you and your squad begin as, say, a squad of grunts (if you are in a covenant faction, more on this later) and you get a killing spree and get loads of points. Then you upgrade yourself into an Elite or a Brute. You will respawn at the mothership and regroup with your squad at your base after dropping down. If you have a Killing Frenzy, on the other hand, you could upgrade your grunt squadmate into a hunter and kick all kinds of a**.
>
> Each mission will follow a classic war from Halo history and will have at least to factions and may vary up to three or even four. This could be humans, covenant, Forerunner sentinels (monitors included), Flood (which will play differently- as a special gametype like super-infection), full on Forerunners and more. One mission, for instance, will follow the Battle of New Mombasa and will pit humans against covenant. Another might depict a battle in the Forerunner Flood War.
>
> The maps will all be huge, but there should only be about 5 as of release- because they are all crazy and huge.
>
> I know this is unbalanced but it’s not meant to be. That’s the magic about it, it will leave Halo MP alone (please 343 no more loadouts :’[) but will add a new mode that will attract even most casual players (like COD players) and will be generaly a fun, different mode to play every once in a while.
>
> IT WILL BE CALLED WAR.

It is similar to your idea. If we combine the two it could become a super sweet new game mode. Obviously some of the things in my post don’t fit your ideas, but you get the point.

no

> It is similar to your idea. If we combine the two it could become a super sweet new game mode. Obviously some of the things in my post don’t fit your ideas, but you get the point.

I do like both, and I think that if Halo at least incorporated elements of this into a more fun and diverse multiplayer mode things it would be a very good step forward.

But (as there must be) it would be better accommodated by Mechwarrior. Squad management in what at least started out as an arena shooter is a pretty -Yoinking!- difficult thing to do since so much of gameplay hinges on fast reflexes and shootey skills. There just isn’t the time to give orders, upgrade, or do much else besides GET THEM since what we have has been fundamentally designed without such pauses in the pace of the game. Now you could completely overhaul everything (which is something I would actually like, but I’m not one to expect it) or you could approach the aforementioned First Person Stategy game or something like Section 8 which is pretty god-damn close to what you guys are getting at (without the squad management and gift-that-keeps-on-giving buddy upgrades, but it does have requisitions, drop-in spawning (best thing to ever happen to the multiplayer FPS by the way), and much of the rest of all that) and would thus make a much better host to it.

Not that we can’t try with Halo, but in order to do so we need to first ask ourselves if we really want to give up quite literally everything to make what you might consider as a SW:Battlefront game for a new decade. Actually the answer that is -Yoink- yes, so I guess it’s full steam ahead to fun-town!

Actually, games like this really interest me. that said, i don’t think a project of this magnitude would fit in a normal halo game. that said, it they released a halo-themed MMO, a RTS-like system could work great. Personally, I think games like that would work best with far more players and on far larger maps than are traditional in halo games. I do think it would be epic to be able to upgrade your character, change classes, and purchase weapons and vehicles in game. but for it to work in a game with halos level of combat, you would need to find lulls in the action be able to enjoy those kind of additions. that would require much larger maps, and far more players to make those maps fun to play on.

Invasion Slayer is relatively close to this though. you “purchase” vehicles and power weapons by holding various positions on the map. You could probably also have power ups spawn. that might be as close as we get to RTS in a traditional halo title, I’m afraid.

Actually, if anyone wants to try setting up a RTS-meets-Halo style map, id be willing to help test it out :slight_smile: