New Book?

When will the next book be released? I thought they said this fall but maybe I’m mistaken.

Halo: Broken Circle will be released November 4th.

excellent!

Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…

I have never read any of the Halo books but I may try and pick-up Broken Circle when it comes out. Do you guys think I will be lost if I do so? I think of myself as being pretty knowledgable in the Halo lore so I really hope not.

> 2533274834577080;4:
> Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…

He’s a very well-versed writer, he’s done pretty much any genre you can imagine over the last few decades. I’ve read a few of his books and really enjoyed them. One book he wrote recently of note was Bioshock: Rapture, which was well received by the Bioshock fanbase, so hopefully he’ll do the same for Halo.

It’s an almost completely unxplored area of lore that he’s got to work with, there’s not exactly much that he can mess up.

> 2533274832341423;5:
> I have never read any of the Halo books but I may try and pick-up Broken Circle when it comes out. Do you guys think I will be lost if I do so? I think of myself as being pretty knowledgable in the Halo lore so I really hope not.

I dont think so, if your pretty knowledgable about the universe, then you will be find. This book brings the reader through the forming of the covenent and finnaly to the great schism(Halo Trilogy). I think it looks great.

> 2533274834577080;4:
> Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Traviss?

> 2603643534582526;8:
> > 2533274834577080;4:
> > Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…
>
>
> Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Traviss?

I thought her trilogy was decent for the most part. one thing that really irked me was how sometimes her characters referenced past events that they couldn’t possibly have known about. Like BB and Mendez mentioning Halsey’s actions during First Strike or how Sentzke knew about the Flood at Voi during Halo 3 even though it was covered up by the UNSC.

> 2533274811368357;6:
> > 2533274834577080;4:
> > Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…
>
>
>
> He’s a very well-versed writer, he’s done pretty much any genre you can imagine over the last few decades. I’ve read a few of his books and really enjoyed them. One book he wrote recently of note was Bioshock: Rapture, which was well received by the Bioshock fanbase, so hopefully he’ll do the same for Halo.
>
> It’s an almost completely unxplored area of lore that he’s got to work with, there’s not exactly much that he can mess up.

Ahhh, glad to hear that he’s highly regarded then! And very true, makes me even more excited for it - will be interesting to say the least.

> 2533274865870059;9:
> > 2603643534582526;8:
> > > 2533274834577080;4:
> > > Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Traviss?
>
>
>
> I thought her trilogy was decent for the most part. one thing that really irked me was how sometimes her characters referenced past events that they couldn’t possibly have known about. Like BB and Mendez mentioning Halsey’s actions during First Strike or how Sentzke knew about the Flood at Voi during Halo 3 even though it was covered up by the UNSC.

This. And there was just a number of things about the Kilo-Five trilogy I disliked. The irrational potrayal of Halsey as a galaxy’s greatest tyrant really annoyed me, espicially how inconsistent it was compared to her potrayal in other novels/sources. Like, come on, Traviss even went as far as to literally compare her to -Yoink!-. Even just in general I don’t think she handled the Halo universe well, particularly considering how good a job Nylund and Bear done. All the moral views of the characters seem to be a little bit unrealistic and as far as i’m concerned it simply wasn’t as interesting or convincing to read than other Halo novels. It’s not as if I hated the Kilo 5 trilogy or anything, but I definitely think 343 could find somebody more suited to the task.

> 2533274834577080;4:

I was really excited to find out it was a whole new company and writer behind the new book as well. This takes place right before High Charity is even constructed I believe…

> 2603643534582526;8:
> > 2533274834577080;4:
>
>
> Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Traviss?

She had some irresistible quirks (supreme Halsey hate) but other than that the books were great. Great character development, some fantastic one liners and very psychological. The actual story in them is rather slow compared to the action packed Halo books, though I don’t think that’s bad.

I can’t say I’m interested in the book’s premise (I feel kind of bored of prequels dealing with characters that have no effect on the current storyline), but I will of course read it if it’s well received in the forums.

All this hate for Traviss, I must be one of the only people who thought she did a great job with the universe. Her Gears of War Novels were excellent, and I couldn’t believe it when i found out she was writing for 343.

The Traviss novels are definitely my least favorite of the bunch. I regard them under even The Flood and Cole Protocol. I thought Kilo-Five was uninteresting, and her portrayal of known characters in the universe was out of character across the board. The direction she took the series was also pretty poor, especially when compared to how fantastic the Forerunner trilogy was(with the exception of Primordial.)

> 2533274846978810;12:
> > 2603643534582526;8:
> > > 2533274834577080;4:
> > > Anyone familiar at all with John Shirley? Would hate to have another Karen Traviss writing the novels…
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Traviss?
>
>
>
> She had some irresistible quirks (supreme Halsey hate) but other than that the books were great. Great character development, some fantastic one liners and very psychological. The actual story in them is rather slow compared to the action packed Halo books, though I don’t think that’s bad.
>
> I can’t say I’m interested in the book’s premise (I feel kind of bored of prequels dealing with characters that have no effect on the current storyline), but I will of course read it if it’s well received in the forums.

I think if her books focused solely on Kilo-5, and had Glasslands not dealt with Blue Team, Halsey and Co. I don’t think her books would have been that badly received0
I know we all wanted to know what happed post-onyx, but I think their adventures in Trevelyan would maybe have been better portrayed in a graphic novel form (primarily because it wasn’t that long a story), which would then introduce us to Kilo-5 at the end, ready for the release of their trilogy.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Broken Circle, I didn’t realise we had come so close to the release date, having been too caught up in the MCC.

I’m SUPER excited for everyone to get their hands on Halo: Broken Circle. :slight_smile:

Not long to wait now!

<3
Grim

> 2533274797632135;16:
> I’m SUPER excited for everyone to get their hands on Halo: Broken Circle. :slight_smile:
>
> Not long to wait now!
>
> <3
> Grim

You can send me a super-early review copy if you want so I can enjoy it now.

I have my pre order ready for broken circle it seems really good

> 2533274911274155;7:
> > 2533274832341423;5:
> > I have never read any of the Halo books but I may try and pick-up Broken Circle when it comes out. Do you guys think I will be lost if I do so? I think of myself as being pretty knowledgable in the Halo lore so I really hope not.
>
>
> I dont think so, if your pretty knowledgable about the universe, then you will be find. This book brings the reader through the forming of the covenent and finnaly to the great schism(Halo Trilogy). I think it looks great.

Ya, this book doesn’t really tie in with any stories from other books it appears so I wouldn’t worry much :slight_smile:

Can’t wait for the release, and also the Volume 1 set of Halo Escalation comics! Woot, to have it in my hands!