New Armour Ability

An idea for an armour ability is the flight pack.

This allows the user to fly as if they were in a banshee in burts. The minimum speed is sprinting speed and the max is double that. Users can only use secondary weapons with lowered accuracy if they are using this ability as if they were sprinting but can board vehicles of they hold the board button whilst flying into a vehicle. With vehicles such as the ghost or warthogs (anything where the driver is not fully covered) the driver is not hijacked but is ripped out of the vehicle and the affects of being hijacked still happen. Users can hover with this and use all weapons. Users take damage if they collide with things and that damage increases as their speed increases. Scope cannot be used whilst this ability is being used.

For sprinting speed it is a 20 second burst and for double that it is a 10 second burst. It has a large turn circle and that increases as the speed increases (scorpion turn speed). This armour ability cannot fly directly up and uses the controls and the flying angles of the banshee.

I thought of this as when Halo 4 was announced, I thought the thruster pack would be like this but ground based. Also I missed the feature of the ability to hover like the Halo Reach jet pack.

This sounds ridiculously overpowered… It’s like the Jet Pack on steroids…

I’ll pass, thanks.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

How about hell no? We already have the miserable breed of gamers unable to let others actually have fun.

Is this even a serious topic?

It would need to be tonned down a bit from how you presented it, but I commend you for thinking up new armor abilities.

Halo 5 needs a large expansion of armor abilities along with many tweeks to current ones. A critical thing for halo 5.

> It would need to be tonned down a bit from how you presented it, but I commend you for thinking up new armor abilities.
>
> Halo 5 needs a large expansion of armor abilities along with many tweeks to current ones. A critical thing for halo 5.

Yes some new AA would be nice. But IMO, they should not be part of your loadout and ba map pickups. And like Halo 3 equipment, the mnre powerful AA/Equipment will be a single use. And the weaker AA/Equipment will have multiple uses.

The amount of time each AA/Eqipment can be used can be set in game settings. So you could set for unlimited. You should also have the control to change the time between each time a AA/Equipment can be used. The more control the better balance we can make the game with little updates without the need of a Title Update.

This would evolve the Halo 3 Equipment system and return Halo to an Arena Shooter. You also have the ability to set AA/Equipment teams can be set with for Action Sack and Custom games.

You can fix Halo so easy with a few minor changes for the next game.

I’d like something like your idea for Custom Games and Forge… perhaps we could have customizable armour abilities (and weapons, equipment, and vehicles)? :'D

> An idea for an armour ability

How about no Armor Abilities in Matchmaking?

> > It would need to be tonned down a bit from how you presented it, but I commend you for thinking up new armor abilities.
> >
> > Halo 5 needs a large expansion of armor abilities along with many tweeks to current ones. A critical thing for halo 5.
>
> Yes some new AA would be nice. But IMO, they should not be part of your loadout and ba map pickups. And like Halo 3 equipment, the mnre powerful AA/Equipment will be a single use. And the weaker AA/Equipment will have multiple uses.
>
> The amount of time each AA/Eqipment can be used can be set in game settings. So you could set for unlimited. You should also have the control to change the time between each time a AA/Equipment can be used. The more control the better balance we can make the game with little updates without the need of a Title Update.
>
> This would evolve the Halo 3 Equipment system and return Halo to an Arena Shooter. You also have the ability to set AA/Equipment teams can be set with for Action Sack and Custom games.
>
> You can fix Halo so easy with a few minor changes for the next game.

I can’t say I agree with you Thomsy. Removing armor abilities from loadouts would be bad for a couple of reasons.

Map clutter would become a genuine concern. With grenades, guns, power ups, and now AAs littering the map that would be silly.

Players could not use the best AA for the map, or ones they like, they would simply be stuck with whatever the map gives them assuming they even care at all to go out of their way for an armor ability, resulting in less intricate gameplay.

Armor abilities in loadouts are good because they contribute to the game in a meaningful way. On map they would likely do no such thing.

> Map clutter would become a genuine concern. With grenades, guns, power ups, and now AA’s littering the map that would be silly.

AA’s on map = bad
ordnance giving an overabundance of items on map = good?

also guns are hardly there any more due to respawn and despawn issues and nade can’t be picked up according to your settings.

> Players could not use the best AA for the map, or ones they like, they would simply be stuck with whatever the map gives them assuming they even care at all to go out of their way for an armor ability, resulting in less intricate gameplay.

less complicated = good

what is the best AA for the map?

who cares what people like, halo was about liking something for what it was and how it played, not poxy details like an armour ability, specializations in game is not what halo is about. Your playstyle is much larger than an option in halo, a game which doesn’t (didn’t) have multiple random limitations stinting personal growth or understanding.

> Armor abilities in loadouts are good because they contribute to the game in a meaningful way. On map they would likely do no such thing.

explain how it contributes in a meaningful way and how pick-ups don’t, don’t just say something without at least fleshing out your opinion.

here’s some help

define what AA’s do in loadouts

define what they do as pick-ups

compare the pros and cons

look at alternatives

give opinion as to why you choose one concept over another.

EXAMPLE

AA’s as a loadout gives players a function off spawn which they get to choose

AA’s as a loadout gives players a function on map

loadouts allow you to start with a function, PROBLEM? they have to be weakened to compensate for their abundance meaning they’re less crucial in-game meaning their presence is not as impactful.

pick-ups are less abundant meaning they can be stronger in-game to compensate, PROBLEM? you lose personal customisability (a trait that isn’t synonymous with halo in the first place)

ALTERNATIVES? (jetpack, thruster, hologram and hardlight are the only competitive AA’s. invis, PV and bubble are all broken by concept of implementation)

• no AA’s

• AA’s as a power-up, upon getting power-up choose between 1 of 4 AA’s with d-pad, player will then have a clear visual effect to denote which AA he has chosen.

pick-ups (and/or the power-up option if there is only 4) are the better option due to two resultant factors

• allows AA’s to play a larger role within the game.

• makes the game more of an arena/deathmatch style game not a class-based one (halo being an arena shooter) making situations less random and more predictable.

(imo if toned down, bubble and grav-lift could be single-spawn grenade types.)

>

Are you serious? One person suggests an idea that he thinks would be fun and you attack him for it? And even worse, you are saying he is preventing other people from having fun! He isn’t trying to purposefully ruin your experience, he’s suggesting an idea that he likes- he thinks it’s a fun idea, even if you might not. If you want to prove him wrong, do it with good arguments and not with name calling.

> >
>
> Are you serious? One person suggests an idea that he thinks would be fun and you attack him for it? And even worse, you are saying he is preventing other people from having fun! He isn’t trying to purposefully ruin your experience, he’s suggesting an idea that he likes- he thinks it’s a fun idea, even if you might not. If you want to prove him wrong, do it with good arguments and not with name calling.

I’m not quite sure what that “miserable breed” comment was supposed to mean, but I dont think it was anything pleasant.

> Map clutter would become a genuine concern. With grenades, guns, power ups, and now AAs littering the map that would be silly.

Worked fine for Reach MLG, which employed Jetpack on Countdown and Sanctuary, as well as (in previous version) evade on several maps. Just don’t put an overabundance of them and treat them like powerweapons.

Heck design maps around them. Specific maps would be designed to work with specific armor abilities. Vertical maps could be employed with jumps and boosts to use, with a jetpack on map as a central item to control that would give the team controlling it a significant advantage in movement. Of course the number that would show up would be limited, being that some abilities simply aren’t worth picking up (IE, Hologram, Thruster Pack and possibly regen field) but others (Hardlight, Evade, Jetpack) have strategic uses.

If they were to design the abilities themselves for the purpose of influencing map design like bungie did with weapons, it could actually be really beneficial to the gameplay.

> Players could not use the best AA for the map

If set up right, the only AA for the map would be the best one for the map. The others would either be useless or too strong to be allowed. Similar to there not being a Rocket Launcher on guardian. It would be the best weapon for the map by far, but ridiculously unbalanced to whichever team held it.

> , or ones they like, they would simply be stuck with whatever the map gives them assuming they even care at all to go out of their way for an armor ability, <mark>resulting in less intricate gameplay.</mark>

As I said above, I’d argue the exact opposite. AA’s can be used as on map pickups for more intricate gameplay because they alter players base abilities in a predictable way if placed on maps, something that weapons and powerups didn’t really allow for in previous games (ignoring custom powerup, which was never really used outside of better overshield).

As for being able to spawn with one you like well I can’t spawn with a sword or a sniper despite them being my favourite weapons can I? There’s very logical reasons for that, the same reasons I would argue for AA’s on map (with some rework).

> Armor abilities in loadouts are good because they contribute to the game in a meaningful way. On map they would likely do no such thing.

See above.

> Heck design maps around them. Specific maps would be designed to work with specific armor abilities. Vertical maps could be employed with jumps and boosts to use, with a jetpack on map as a central item to control that would give the team controlling it a significant advantage in movement. Of course the number that would show up would be limited, being that some abilities simply aren’t worth picking up (IE, Hologram, Thruster Pack and possibly regen field) but others (Hardlight, Evade, Jetpack) have strategic uses.
>
> If they were to design the abilities themselves for the purpose of influencing map design like bungie did with weapons, it could actually be really beneficial to the gameplay.

Or take it one step further and design certain maps (or gametypes) around certain AAs entirely that then function as default abilities/mechanics and not as advantages.
I.e: A map that incorporated default Jetpack (or alternatively Thruster Pack) into its design and hence created a new kind of map (layout/construction) and gameplay.

Additionally, I think AAs and Power Weapons placed together on a map can become quickly out of control or rather can cause significant/ too much unbalance between players once a player manages it to obtain both kind of advantages while others have nothing.
Why I think Sammy’s statement of “map clutter” (of additional advantages) has a point to it, even though he likely thought different about it.

To the OP (so I am not completely off-topic):
The idea sounds interesting but for multiplayer it currently gives me the picture of a mixture of Ironman and Spartans that fly around the map. Looks quite chaotic.

For a Campaign level or Co-Op mission I would like to see something similar though. Perhaps a zero-G or aerial environment where you have to make use of your integrated Thrusters of the MJOLNIR armor.

Your idea is to create something so broken and overpowered that everyone will have no choice but to use it?

How 'bout no.

Armour Abilities should disappear altogether. There isn’t a single good thing that has come out of adding them to the game. Alternatively changing them into map pickups is also acceptable.

> > Map clutter would become a genuine concern. With grenades, guns, power ups, and now AAs littering the map that would be silly.
>
> Worked fine for Reach MLG, which employed Jetpack on Countdown and Sanctuary, as well as (in previous version) evade on several maps. Just don’t put an overabundance of them and treat them like powerweapons.
>
> Heck design maps around them. Specific maps would be designed to work with specific armor abilities. Vertical maps could be employed with jumps and boosts to use, with a jetpack on map as a central item to control that would give the team controlling it a significant advantage in movement. Of course the number that would show up would be limited, being that some abilities simply aren’t worth picking up (IE, Hologram, Thruster Pack and possibly regen field) but others (Hardlight, Evade, Jetpack) have strategic uses.
>
> If they were to design the abilities themselves for the purpose of influencing map design like bungie did with weapons, it could actually be really beneficial to the gameplay.
>
>
>
> > Players could not use the best AA for the map
>
> If set up right, the only AA for the map would be the best one for the map. The others would either be useless or too strong to be allowed. Similar to there not being a Rocket Launcher on guardian. It would be the best weapon for the map by far, but ridiculously unbalanced to whichever team held it.
>
>
>
> > , or ones they like, they would simply be stuck with whatever the map gives them assuming they even care at all to go out of their way for an armor ability, <mark>resulting in less intricate gameplay.</mark>
>
> As I said above, I’d argue the exact opposite. AA’s can be used as on map pickups for more intricate gameplay because they alter players base abilities in a predictable way if placed on maps, something that weapons and powerups didn’t really allow for in previous games (ignoring custom powerup, which was never really used outside of better overshield).
>
> As for being able to spawn with one you like well I can’t spawn with a sword or a sniper despite them being my favourite weapons can I? There’s very logical reasons for that, the same reasons I would argue for AA’s on map (with some rework).
>
>
>
> > Armor abilities in loadouts are good because they contribute to the game in a meaningful way. On map they would likely do no such thing.
>
> See above.

My biggest issues with armor abilities on map Silent is that it would discourage the use of armor abilities in general, stunt the armor ability meta, and in turn harm competitive play.

Spawning with an armor ability encourages that player to think carefully about the tactical implications of his decision, and promotes frequent use of that armor ability in order to gain skill with it, furthering competitive play.

If we strip out armor abilities and place them on map now players are use to not having one which leads to them neglecting armor abilities. They will likely not care to move out of position to grab one, and even if they do they will be unpracticed with it and may forget to use it at all. As I mentioned it damages the whole armor ability meta, a very bad thing.

> If we strip out armor abilities and place them on map now players are use to not having one which leads to them neglecting armor abilities.

I definitely agree with this. I only played a few games on Reach with AAs on maps, and they were largely neglected. So since they’re game-breaking as spawn options and useless as map pickups, the best thing to do would be to make them single- or limited-use like Equipment and powerups and then remove whatever doesn’t fit in that context.

How about no armor abilities at all?

> My biggest issues with armor abilities on map Silent is that it would discourage the use of armor abilities in general, stunt the armor ability meta, and in turn harm competitive play.
>
> Spawning with an armor ability encourages that player to think carefully about the tactical implications of his decision, and promotes frequent use of that armor ability in order to gain skill with it, furthering competitive play.
>
> If we strip out armor abilities and place them on map now players are use to not having one which leads to them neglecting armor abilities. They will likely not care to move out of position to grab one, and even if they do they will be unpracticed with it and may forget to use it at all. As I mentioned it damages the whole armor ability meta, a very bad thing.

I don’t know if you’ve ever played the MLG playlist in Halo Reach, but if I recall correctly, Armour Abilities were map pickups in those gametypes. It worked brilliantly, since the AAs, usually Evade and Jetpack, were fought over like power weapons, and gave the winners an advantage that they deserved.

To say that people wouldn’t move out of position to get an armour ability is like saying that people won’t go out of their way to get a Shotgun or Rocket Launcher. These things are useful, and people know that.

Your comment about spawning with armour abilities being competitive is quite false, I believe. Not only does it add an aspect of randomness to the game, since you can’t know what somebody will spawn with, it’s also not skillful to use the majority of them, and nobody ever really thinks tactically with them. Why is that? Because you have an unlimited fuel supply for all of them. You used up all of your jetpack? That’s ok, you’ll be able to use it again in 5 seconds. Oh, you died? No worries, you’ll have it when you respawn! But if they’re on the map, then people will start thinking tactically. Since their time with the armour ability is limited to their current life, they’ll be careful to take advantage of it as efficiently as possible during that one life. People won’t be as prone to just flying up in the middle of the map with their jetpack, since that would get them killed, for example.

> > My biggest issues with armor abilities on map Silent is that it would discourage the use of armor abilities in general, stunt the armor ability meta, and in turn harm competitive play.
> >
> > Spawning with an armor ability encourages that player to think carefully about the tactical implications of his decision, and promotes frequent use of that armor ability in order to gain skill with it, furthering competitive play.
> >
> > If we strip out armor abilities and place them on map now players are use to not having one which leads to them neglecting armor abilities. They will likely not care to move out of position to grab one, and even if they do they will be unpracticed with it and may forget to use it at all. As I mentioned it damages the whole armor ability meta, a very bad thing.
>
> I don’t know if you’ve ever played the MLG playlist in Halo Reach, but if I recall correctly, Armour Abilities were map pickups in those gametypes. It worked brilliantly, since the AAs, usually Evade and Jetpack, were fought over like power weapons, and gave the winners an advantage that they deserved.
>
> To say that people wouldn’t move out of position to get an armour ability is like saying that people won’t go out of their way to get a Shotgun or Rocket Launcher. These things are useful, and people know that.
>
> Your comment about spawning with armour abilities being competitive is quite false, I believe. Not only does it add an aspect of randomness to the game, since you can’t know what somebody will spawn with, it’s also not skillful to use the majority of them, and nobody ever really thinks tactically with them. Why is that? Because you have an unlimited fuel supply for all of them. You used up all of your jetpack? That’s ok, you’ll be able to use it again in 5 seconds. Oh, you died? No worries, you’ll have it when you respawn! But if they’re on the map, then people will start thinking tactically. Since their time with the armour ability is limited to their current life, they’ll be careful to take advantage of it as efficiently as possible during that one life. People won’t be as prone to just flying up in the middle of the map with their jetpack, since that would get them killed, for example.

Armor abilities are not something you fight over on the map. They are an essential part of your spawn gear, just like a couple grenades and an assault rifle. Been that way since they were introduced, and that’s how it should be.

I don’t understand this crusade against armor abilities. They do nothing but good for halo.

I don’t want to just scrap whatever armor ability I find on the map every third life or whatever, I want to spawn with the exact one I want for my game plan and use it to the fullest the entire match.

How about the good and old bubble shield however it acts like the dropshield from reach, minus the regenerating.