New achievements - not a fan.

While I’m glad we have some new stuff to go after with the release of the new maps, I’m really not too crazy about the style of most of them. These “Hurr hurr! Wacky gameplay!” achievements that lead to people just playing like morons rather than focusing on an objective are detrimental to the game.

In other words, stuff like “get 20 kills with a detached turret” or “shoot a guy who launched off a man cannon while they are in the air” is fine - you don’t have to disrupt the game (much) to get those.

But things like “get an air kill in a warthog” and “stomp 20 people with the Mantis” are especially stupid. Just makes people play poorly in an attempt to get their points. Now I see people just randomly ramping off of stuff in a desperate, futile attempt to get a kill, and people using the Mantis to try to charge people - and 9 times out of 10 it just leads to the Mantis being hijacked/destroyed.

Hope for the next set of achievements they think them through a little more.

Any luck based achievements should not be in MM period. If they wanted to do it right, they should have said something about winning 5 CTF matches on Harvest in Matchmaking, and 20 wins ect. ect.

> Any luck based achievements should not be in MM period. If they wanted to do it right, they should have said something about winning 5 CTF matches on Harvest in Matchmaking, and 20 wins ect. ect.

Luck based? That’s not luck based. Getting full dragons on the slots in Mortal Kombat is luck based.

Meleeed people to death at least twice on Wreckage just now once I got through the man cannon to the landing, did not get the achievement to pop at all. Absolutely furious as these man cannon specific achievements are beyond enjoyable.

> > Any luck based achievements should not be in MM period. If they wanted to do it right, they should have said something about winning 5 CTF matches on Harvest in Matchmaking, and 20 wins ect. ect.
>
> Luck based? That’s not luck based. Getting full dragons on the slots in Mortal Kombat is luck based.

Must be in a warthog, in air, and shoot and kill someone. That is pure luck, if you take a jump or bounce wrong the turret can not go in the down position far enough to score any hits. Let alone, you will be destroyed with stickies that everyone has.

Melee kill someone after landing from a man cannon, really?

> Any luck based achievements should not be in MM period. If they wanted to do it right, they should have said something about winning 5 CTF matches on Harvest in Matchmaking, and 20 wins ect. ect.

this

Me and a friend have gotten the man cannon cheevos without even touching the man cannon in that match… They are glitched. I got a simple mid air melee and it gave me that one for a mid air grab lift melee.

Are they new achievements specific to the map pack…?

Not unusual. Halo has never handled achievements well. It’s too bad that 343 hasn’t chosen their own path with them and instead stuck to the Bungie model of gaining achievements independent of the flow of gameplay.

> Me and a friend have gotten the man cannon cheevos without even touching the man cannon in that match… They are glitched. I got a simple mid air melee and it gave me that one for a mid air grab lift melee.

Exactly - got my ODST acheevo on a gravy nade in my first match. Got the melee one though legit - punched a guy right before landing.

> Not unusual. Halo has never handled achievements well. It’s too bad that 343 hasn’t chosen their own path with them and instead stuck to the Bungie model of gaining achievements independent of the flow of gameplay.

Ya, I doubt anyone will ever forget the famous Halo 3 FFA achievements with the 2 4 1.

I only have two so far and I didn’t even try for them. One of them I didn’t even know was an achievement.

> Ya, I doubt anyone will ever forget the famous Halo 3 FFA achievements with the 2 4 1.

Oh god…the horrors…

Hey some of them are glitched got one by jet packing and sniped some random dude and it unlocked same thing happen when I was jet packing and ninja some dude. The only one I feel I got legit was david and golith but that was from a moron trying to stomp everything and the other was palying swat on harvest and shot a guy coming out of one of the man cannons.

> > Any luck based achievements should not be in MM period. If they wanted to do it right, they should have said something about winning 5 CTF matches on Harvest in Matchmaking, and 20 wins ect. ect.
>
> Luck based? That’s not luck based. Getting full dragons on the slots in Mortal Kombat is luck based.

Remember Reach? You had to be in the right place at the right time to get some of the achievements.

They’re a pain in the -Yoink- to get, especially at higher skill gaps. When skilled players know what the achievements are, they make a deliberate effort to not let you get them.

Honestly what GOOD team is going to get into your mantis stomp range EVER? Achievement is easy as hell for people on the low end of the skill spectrum, but once you’re up there it is a -Yoink- to pull off.

It isn’t like there is anything you can do either, there is no technique to sneak up on your opponent, or immobilize them to get this. Unless there is some AFK you can farm, you pretty much HAVE to rely on your opponent being an idiot. That isn’t skill, that’s getting lucky and getting stupid opponents.

Hell I was playing earlier today and saw the enemy’s mantis was up for grabs. I hopped in it, and they had a guy camping it waiting to hijack me and blow me up.

REALLY? You just sacrificed your team’s Mantis and have to rewait on the 3 minute timer just so you could get the achievement? How selfish are some people? The guy had no problems sacrificing one of his team’s best assets. I was glad he wasn’t on my team.

Not to mention the amount of deliberate mantis EMPing which is occuring now.

Aside from the hog kill in the air they’re all doable and not luck based at all.

Also, mantis stomps are awesome if you know how to do 'em. I just have trouble GETTING a mantis because of all the morons who steal it and don’t even get a single stomp kill.

> Aside from the hog kill in the air they’re all doable and not luck based at all.
>
> Also, mantis stomps are awesome if you know how to do 'em. I just have trouble GETTING a mantis because of all the morons who steal it and don’t even get a single stomp kill.

If you know how to do them? You have to be kidding me right? Aim at the target and hit melee, not hard.

The problem is that it takes 2 to Tango. Just because you have the ability to aim your stomp, it doesn’t mean that people are actually going to get into your range. With the radar the way it is, they know you’re coming well before you actually reach them.

Anybody with a double digit IQ won’t let themselves enter your stomp range.

Hog kill in the air is easy. Harvest. CTF or KotH. Massive ramps. Go.

This is as bad as the killtacular achievement in Halo 3 and the one in Reach where you had to return ALL the flags in the stockpile match (which is impossible unless everyone on the enemy team quits.)