New Abilities?

It’s no secret that the ability to sprint was a controversial feature in Halo 4. And from what I’ve seen, proposed vaulting abilities for future installments are similarly frowned upon. So I thought I’d create this thread to see what new abilities some of you think should be added to the formula, if any.

Note, when I say abilities, I mean universal actions such as crouch, jump, etc.

For me that depends on the gamemode.

In Halo’s PvE modes I would like the idea of moving some steps away from the “grasshopper gameplay” and focusing more on an actual “Spartan experience”. Letting us experience what it means and how it feels to play as an physically and mentally augmented super soldier that is equipped with highly advanced combat material and is facing and fighting aliens and their superior technology.
That could include a comprehensible sprint speed and distance, vaulting and ledge-grabbing, “super-jump”, the MJOLNIR thrusters in combination with magnetic boots (likely only usable in appropriate environments though), etc.

In Halo’s PvP mode the mentioned “grasshopper gameplay” is what got me hooked though, likely because it is quite unconventional and unique, especially in the modern days.
And personally I would prefer it to keep it like that and would like to see it getting improved.

So, every mechanic that primarily only severs as “immersions factors” I would block out of the multiplayer gameplay (vaulting, ledge-grabbing, [“white-bread”] Sprint, etc.) and would only incorporate mechanics that would actually evolve/improve the (unconventional) gameplay itself and give it more depth.

The ability to move and shoot independent of each other is one of Halo’s key gampeplay elements and an aspect that should get some major attention when you want to improve the gameplay in my opinion.
As an personal suggestion:
I really like movement abilities like Thruster Pack or Jetpack but in their current state as AAs (advantages) I think their potential is caged and unfortunately they break the gameplay instead of enhancing it.
So what I would like to see or rather what I think is worth some thought is to incorporate such ablities into the design of certain maps as default abilities, what can result in some really fresh and unique map layouts and gameplays.

Another mechanic I think that is worth some thought as well is grenade throwing. To this day it has always been the straight “full power” throw what I think is in many senarios extremely impractical so I would like to have some more “sensitiveness” for it.

Halo doesn’t need any more universal actions, sometimes less is more.

That’s just my opinion anyway.

I’m fine with sprint thats it

Not sure.

I feel AA’s should stay but not be in the core playlists of Matchmaking.

They belong to BTB games, Invasion, Fiesta, a special TS list, but not in regular Team Slayer, Objectives etc.

That being said, I also feel AA’s as we know it should be tweaked. Camo back to pick up, no Regen shield, no Evade, no Promethean Vision.
Bubble Shield should be back, but I’d like it to be merged with Armor Lock from Reach…however functioning just as the Bubble Shield did in H3’s Starry Night trailer. That means: shield up front, not being able to move, open back (open to attacks from behind), and lasting only a few seconds. That means you need to time it perfectly to counter an explosion/charging vehicle instead of camping with it.

> Not sure.
>
> I feel AA’s should stay but not be in the core playlists of Matchmaking.
>
> They belong to BTB games, Invasion, Fiesta, a special TS list, but not in regular Team Slayer, Objectives etc.
>
> That being said, I also feel AA’s as we know it should be tweaked. Camo back to pick up, no Regen shield, no Evade, no Promethean Vision.
> Bubble Shield should be back, but I’d like it to be merged with Armor Lock from Reach…however functioning just as the Bubble Shield did in H3’s Starry Night trailer. That means: shield up front, not being able to move, open back (open to attacks from behind), and lasting only a few seconds. That means you need to time it perfectly to counter an explosion/charging vehicle instead of camping with it.

I’m talking about universal abilities like crouch, jump, and sprint.

I wouldn’t mind a climbing feature, similar to what master chief does in the first campaign mission, but adapted a little to fit a wide variety of climbable spots on each map.

I did a similar thread like this a few weeks ago, and was eaten alive. :stuck_out_tongue:

But, I will pitch in my two cents:
In a logical standpoint, it seems like you should be able to go ‘prone’, crawl, poke your head out, and other stuff since… well, you’re a genetically enhanced super-soldier. It just makes sense. But in the gameplay, I would completely support a ‘prone’ feature and, as Sammy said, a climbing ability. It just seems necessary. So many new possibilities could be opened up with that.

As for sprint, leave it be. Don’t scrap it or modify it. It’s fine, and the games is, IMO, too… slow, I guess without it. However, I’d be fine with seeing perks like ‘Mobility’ go. Maybe it could return as a Specialization Perk if those return as well?

> I did a similar thread like this a few weeks ago, and was eaten alive. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> But, I will pitch in my two cents:
> In a logical standpoint, it seems like you should be able to go ‘prone’, crawl, poke your head out, and other stuff since… well, you’re a genetically enhanced super-soldier. It just makes sense. But in the gameplay, I would completely support a ‘prone’ feature and, as Sammy said, a climbing ability. It just seems necessary. So many new possibilities could be opened up with that.
>
> As for sprint, leave it be. Don’t scrap it or modify it. It’s fine, and the games is, IMO, too… slow, I guess without it. However, I’d be fine with seeing perks like ‘Mobility’ go. Maybe it could return as a Specialization Perk if those return as well?

Prone…

I personally don’t see anything wrong with it (unless Camo is still an armor ability), but I don’t see much use in it either. Hip fire accuracy is always the same regardless of position in Halo. And while switching to prone during a firefight may be a legit strategy in other shooters, Halo’s longer kill times and emphasis on strafing and other such movements makes this impractical. So prone would only really be used for hiding, and crouch has historically been useful enough in that regard.

I would like to see a prone position as a standard option.

I’m always open to adding new abilities, but some of the things people want are just ridiculous.

> I personally don’t see anything wrong with it [prone]

People may -Yoink- about the DMR but prone’s effects on long range gameplay are WAY more significant, making you much harder to hit than it is for you to hit the enemy. Even camo doesn’t alter hitbox size.

> So many new possibilities could be opened up with that.

Spending time climbing up objects instead of shooting up there with a gravity lift? There’s a reason we haven’t seen ladders since Halo CE.