Never ending match?

Now that Halo will have drop in players (players can join in mid match) what if 343i included a game type where the game never ends?

Lemme explain. The game types that I can see this working for are: FFA Slayer, Team Slayer, and Territories.

You enter the game type and get to choose between the three game types, then you get thrown into a game. The game will keep score but it will never end. Players can drop in, get their fix and leave (while keeping their in game spoils). The amount of Spartan Points that you would receive in this GT would have to be low (since it’s unlimited there isn’t really a competitive sense to it, and also because it’s unlimited you can easily rack up a crazy amount of SP) so boosting won’t be a problem. The reason some players may like this system is because it removes the stall in between games. There would be no pause in combat just a un-timed battle ground.

343i could also use this game type as a testing grounds for Multiplayer changes and new patches. Therefore they can test it there before they send it into regular MM.

Amendments (if I put something under here that contradicts something above, what is below is what is final).

Amendment 1: A match would end only if every player in the match leaves (obviously if someone is still in the game their doing it for a reason and the game doesn’t need to end). If there is an empty game though, you won’t be placed in until there are at least 6 players to populate it.

Is that possible? Wouldn’t a game need an end once?

Do you think it would stop when there is no player left? Or would it just continue until someone gets in again? That would run the risk that only one person is in the game and has no enemy.

Problems with that would be if you did have 2 people in one match you could expect an insane amount of boosting.Also if the game never ended and people would end up leaving would they be marked as finishing the match early?

Oh wait?

> Is that possible? Wouldn’t a game need an end once?
>
> Do you think it would stop when there is no player left? Or would it just continue until someone gets in again? That would run the risk that only one person is in the game and has no enemy.

Good point. A match would end only if every player in the match leaves (obviously if someone is still in the game their doing it for a reason and the game doesn’t need to end). If there is an empty game though, you won’t be placed in until there are at least 6 players to populate it.

> Is that possible? Wouldn’t a game need an end once?
>
> Do you think it would stop when there is no player left? Or would it just continue until someone gets in again? That would run the risk that only one person is in the game and has no enemy.

Generally it would end when all players but one leave. It does that in matchmaking and customs for Halo 3 and Reach.

@RevatronPrime

If the player would be rewarded for spending time on it, it should not be something like the credits in Halo Reach. Because if it was like that, someone could gain a hundred thousand credits just after having played that one game for five hours or so. Yet, if the reward is nothing special, nobody would bother to spend hours on playing a single game.

> Problems with that would be if you did have 2 people in one match you could expect an insane amount of boosting.Also if the game never ended and people would end up leaving would they be marked as finishing the match early?

This for deffo! Never ending matches for Multiplayer would cause far too many boosters! It’s good to have unlimited time for customs, don’t get me wrong :slight_smile: It’s just Multiplayer; there are lots of consequences that are obvious to know about!

I can see VERY LONG matches but not infinite…

> I can see VERY LONG matches but not infinite…

Well players don’t have to stay on forever, just long enough until they get bored of the game type or until they’ve gotten their Halo fix for the day.

Ha, it sure would be fun to play “infinite slayer” (pun intended) ^^
To see a game of territories that one could potentially return to days or weeks later and make a difference. I think most objective gametypes could be awesome, CTF/2 flag would be awesome :slight_smile:

> Ha, it sure would be fun to play “infinite slayer” (pun intended) ^^
> To see a game of territories that one could potentially return to days or weeks later and make a difference. I think most objective gametypes could be awesome, CTF/2 flag would be awesome :slight_smile:

I was thinking about CTF but when it came down to it I imagined that a since there will never be a winner no one will go for the objectives. I added territories because in my experience with territories, people treat it like slayer while still going for the territory occasionally.

When one of the Halo Reach multiplayer trailers said “Arena”, I thought it was going to be a never-ending match.

good idea. i think cod 3 had this system for tdm. drop in or out then view your stats when you have had your fill.

only if halo 4 had more than 16 players which isn’t gonna happen. if there was a game type like invasion/territories with 50 v 50 players and a massive map like two forge worlds and you had a team resource depending on what bases you capture like ammo,turrets etc then i think that would be fantastic basicly like planetside2 and dust514.