Network status... Upstream Bandwidth: Warning?

I just posted this on B.net without resolving my problem so I will try on here instead.
This is a copy of my post i posted on B.net as I can’t be bothered to write it all out again :

How come everytime I check my network status it tells me that I don’t have enough upstream bandwith. I know something must be wrong because I have 100 mbit upstream bandwith and I’m using fiber optics so my ping isnt bad either. I also have port forwarded so my nat is open and the packetloss bar is also excellent.

Is it just reach being limited or is something severly wrong?

The strange thing is that my friend who has about 0.5 mbit upstream has average in reach. Whenever I play with my friend (who lives about 5 minutes away from me) and I get host, everyone has greenbar and a few seconds in the match the host changes so he gets host instead. Then everyone has between yellowbar and redbar, but it doesn’t change host.

It’s anoying to play when everyone has yellowbar so it kinda brakes the game experience.

I think it says Warning for almost everyone. I tried moving my Xbox upstairs one day and it actually changed to say something else (can’t remember ATM), but it was better, even though I never pulled host.

It would be great to get a response from 343 and hear what they say about the issue.

Mine always says:
Good
Open
Low/Excellent

Except when they were moving the servers then everything went undetected.

I believe you are confusing upstream bandwidth with downstream bandwidth, but that kind of connection still produces enough upstream to be more than sufficient as I used to have 100 Mbps connection to before upgrading to 200. The connection in my house is shared by multiple devices, but my Xbox connection is still sufficient enough to produce upstream of 7 Mbps which is more than good as hosting a 16 player game requires only an upstream bandwidth of 1 Mbps.

I believe it’s just a bug with the upstream bandwidth or it might be that the servers that are measuring the speeds might be so far that the numbers get all skewed and don’t show accurately. By this theory people living in Seattle should always be getting “Good” from the upstream bandwidth. Anyway, the whole upstream bandwidth seems to have no relations to how good your connection actually is, I almost never lag and am many times host even in BTB, but I still get “Warning” from the upstream bandwidth most of the time.

We would actually need someone here to tell us how it’s measured.

Are you using port forwording and uPnP?

No, I have 100 Mbit upstream bandwith, I also have 100 downstream. I will post a speedtest if you guys don’t believe me.

Yes, I use UPnP to forward my ports.

> No, I have 100 Mbit upstream bandwith, I also have 100 downstream. I will post a speedtest if you guys don’t believe me.
>
> Yes, I use UPnP to forward my ports.

If so, how the hell do you get that happen? I can barely get my upstream to be 40% of my downstream. Anyway, I’d still like to see your Speed test results, not because I don’t believe, but because I would like better information on your connection.

And as we’re talking about speedtest results, here are mine. Not very good, but the best you can do with a connection shared between about ten devices.

> > No, I have 100 Mbit upstream bandwith, I also have 100 downstream. I will post a speedtest if you guys don’t believe me.
> >
> > Yes, I use UPnP to forward my ports.
>
> If so, how the hell do you get that happen? I can barely get my upstream to be 40% of my downstream. Anyway, I’d still like to see your Speed test results, not because I don’t believe, but because I would like better information on your connection.
>
> And as we’re talking about speedtest results, here are mine. Not very good, but the best you can do with a connection shared between about ten devices.

There is mine, I usually about 15 or more mbit for both upstream and downstream but as my brother is downloading a whole bunch of torrents my connection is somewhat slowed down.

> > > No, I have 100 Mbit upstream bandwith, I also have 100 downstream. I will post a speedtest if you guys don’t believe me.
> > >
> > > Yes, I use UPnP to forward my ports.
> >
> > If so, how the hell do you get that happen? I can barely get my upstream to be 40% of my downstream. Anyway, I’d still like to see your Speed test results, not because I don’t believe, but because I would like better information on your connection.
> >
> > And as we’re talking about speedtest results, here are mine. Not very good, but the best you can do with a connection shared between about ten devices.
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/1398538401.png
> There is mine, I usually about 15 or more mbit for both upstream and downstream but as my brother is downloading a whole bunch of torrents my connection is somewhat slowed down.

You tested to Copenhagen, I suppose you live near Malmö? You probably have the same problem as I have, live too far off from the nearest server that 343i uses to test the connections.

First I was thinking that they made the tests with their own servers, but then I realized that they can use the Xbox Live servers. That would explain why I always only got Warning when Bungie was in control of Reach as they could only have used their own servers to run the tests. If I’m right, all information was moved to 343i servers a while ago. After that I’ve been sometimes getting ""Average and “Good” from the network status. The nearest server could be close enough that when the amount of traffic on Xbox Live and internet is at it’s lowest, the connection could get enough bandwidth to come as “Average” or “Good”.

After all, like the speediest, it also depends on your location compared to the server.

P.S. It’s always nice to see that there are other people from the Nordic countries here on the forums. :slight_smile:

> > > > No, I have 100 Mbit upstream bandwith, I also have 100 downstream. I will post a speedtest if you guys don’t believe me.
> > > >
> > > > Yes, I use UPnP to forward my ports.
> > >
> > > If so, how the hell do you get that happen? I can barely get my upstream to be 40% of my downstream. Anyway, I’d still like to see your Speed test results, not because I don’t believe, but because I would like better information on your connection.
> > >
> > > And as we’re talking about speedtest results, here are mine. Not very good, but the best you can do with a connection shared between about ten devices.
> >
> > http://www.speedtest.net/result/1398538401.png
> > There is mine, I usually about 15 or more mbit for both upstream and downstream but as my brother is downloading a whole bunch of torrents my connection is somewhat slowed down.
>
> You tested to Copenhagen, I suppose you live near Malmö? You probably have the same problem as I have, live too far off from the nearest server that 343i uses to test the connections.
>
> First I was thinking that they made the tests with their own servers, but then I realized that they can use the Xbox Live servers. That would explain why I always only got Warning when Bungie was in control of Reach as they could only have used their own servers to run the tests. If I’m right, all information was moved to 343i servers a while ago. After that I’ve been sometimes getting ""Average and “Good” from the network status. The nearest server could be close enough that when the amount of traffic on Xbox Live and internet is at it’s lowest, the connection could get enough bandwidth to come as “Average” or “Good”.
>
>
> After all, like the speediest, it also depends on your location compared to the server.
>
> P.S. It’s always nice to see that there are other people from the Nordic countries here on the forums. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I live in Sweden. The strange thing is that my friend who lives like 5 minutes from me has 0.5 mbit upload and his upstream says Average. I can’t figure out how the system works but it must be flawed in some way. It would be great to hear what 343 says about this.

> Yeah, I live in Sweden. The strange thing is that my friend who lives like 5 minutes from me has 0.5 mbit upload and his upstream says Average. I can’t figure out how the system works but it must be flawed in some way. It would be great to hear what 343 says about this.

That could be because Xbox Live has some weird priorities when it comes to people’s connections.

When the Halo Reach beta was coming my friend’s friend downloaded it in 20 minutes with a 10 Mbps connection. While for me it took two and a half hours with my previous 100 Mbps connection. Another good example is that one of my friends always gets the host when I play with him although I know he has a lot worse connection than I do.

Mine ALWAYS says “Warning” and I haven’t been able to fix it yet. I don’t really think it’s something 343i “needs” to address because it’s more of an issue with XBL rather than JUST Halo…Reach just shows you your internet connection.

> > Yeah, I live in Sweden. The strange thing is that my friend who lives like 5 minutes from me has 0.5 mbit upload and his upstream says Average. I can’t figure out how the system works but it must be flawed in some way. It would be great to hear what 343 says about this.
>
> That could be because Xbox Live has some weird priorities when it comes to people’s connections.
>
> When the Halo Reach beta was coming my friend’s friend downloaded it in 20 minutes with a 10 Mbps connection. While for me it took two and a half hours with my previous 100 Mbps connection. Another good example is that one of my friends always gets the host when I play with him although I know he has a lot worse connection than I do.

That was probably because xbl servers were overloaded when the beta first came out. I remember there was some cracy lag when it was first released.

> Mine ALWAYS says “Warning” and I haven’t been able to fix it yet. I don’t really think it’s something 343i “needs” to address because it’s more of an issue with XBL rather than JUST Halo…Reach just shows you your internet connection.

I’m pretty sure it’s reach that is the problem. It just happens when I play reach, all other games work just fine. That includes Black Ops (I realise I’m going to get flamed) and Halo 3. On those games I get host all day long and everyone gets greenbar.

I played a game of doubles ealier today and the host was really bad and reach didn’t want to change host. Sometimes everyone was full greenbar and the other second everyone got redbar and the game went on like this. It’s kinda anoying not getting host over these bad hosts as I know the game would lag alot less on my host.

It’s not a really big issue but it would be nice if 343 would fix it in the title update.

hi ,

i have some problems…
i can’t play and be in a party with my friend because he has a CLOSED nat.
Is that always ?
my network status:

Warning!
Moderate
Low/Excellent

Can i something do about it?
Some people say my internet is infected…
Somebody can help me ?!

hi i have the same problem it on warning

This is basically why Halo gets so many games with Red-Yellow bar host, thanks to how the stupid host history record works etc. Read this and be amazed on how bad it is.A Guide to Networking, Matchmaking, and Host in Halo, v2.1

If it where like CoD (no host history crap on those games) where the player with best upload gets host. Then Halo wouldn’t have som many Host migrations and red-yellow bar games.

Allso the fact that you cant deside who the host should be in a custom game proves how bad the system is in Halo.

When I upgraded my connection speed, the upstream bandwith went from warning! to medium/excellent; my NAT is open and the packets loss are 0 (excellent).

I host 10/10 games :smiley:

so no one has a clue as to how to configure this problem… i think something is up with bungie and 343 servers or something i barely got this not to long ago either i tried port forwarding my Pnp port is open i had to reset my router and reconfigure my xbox to factory default… i cant play right…i have been losing game after game

Edited by Moderator - Please do not post spam.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

i think

kjhvkjkjv/khclhfzgfhxhjkjl;'kjhgfrthjgivufytgdhejklrf[ghnbgvifcdshyagjmkdlfpvg0o9i8xzahygwerlfhwoiigqe0ighb’ejfbqobfqefbfwoifbdlfbwdougvbfsv,sjbvkd vvs ihvslb hoirhbv lshbvoisvsoihobg hls gblr gjsdnvjkfs b svih slig s gs glsghirgh gs vslor hgvlsr gvlsr vs vglsrhgvrs olvgsrgv s vgshv lsdvbsdljvh sl lsvoisbgjsn gvlisdvlse fgvsdl vbsrlvgbhrsbvfgk lsdv bsd li kjsbf kjsdfkbskfjbhwsevbdsjm vskdjjbvgkfsbgytrbmsdf bvkjfsvgb ksd bsvkujbgkserbguisbgkjsdbgkhbdsk k dfbskjhbgrukgbs kkujgbrskdbgrsuybksdjvb sk ksdbfksbgkisbfkasdb kjds vksgbiydb rkgbiudsbgke grke bfiuurbgfksbdfkuebguk sk gewkub gfekufbukuf akseufbekufgbka edfkuebgkubgkusbdukcbxkhjbkjeasjbef ke dbewksjdbkfusebk ke fke bfksebkwe kd kiewugbfkjew u kufbekjfbsdkufb rk sefbfkhhesf kaeksdbfkwuerfgb ek kue fbksebf kewfbvjhvad vk avke gbgfuklBSdgflzugblzj,jhzvds ljegvdffjhsvfhljSEB e esk welfsjbfjlhsdl AESkfjbgsjfbvsL fukegsk -Yoink!- jsfbvLBFjrsbvibs khkldsfbskhjdbhjkvfskdbkbf skebfkjfbksebs skfuh gfsa kw esfdkubfkjsebkjsdbvfs kvbk sbdv kgshek fgjdyd