Nerfing Pistol vs AR

I’ve seen a lot of posts about how people feel like the AR is balanced but that the pistol needs to be nerfed by adding TTK by increasing kills from 5 shots to 6 or 7. Just wanted to throw out my opinion and see if anyone else agrees, my thoughts are that the AR needs a nerf (of distance) and that the pistol is balanced as is.

I am finding that many times when I am killed by the AR it is at pretty extreme distances (for an AR compared to previous Halos), many times after getting killed by an AR I am left feeling like someone else must have been shooting me in addition to the guy in front of me pretty far away with the AR and that a chance bullet from the AR finished me off as the final hit, but upon watching in theater almost every time they are straight AR kills. I feel like in close quarters is does well as is but I think that a distance it is too lethal, Im pretty decent with the BR and DMR and I feel like I have been gunned down too many times by the AR (the least skill based loadout weapon, in my opinion) at distances that it should be ineffective.

Regarding the pistol, I am seeing a ton of people call it OP and “insane”, in my opinion I think it is really well balanced. It is not easy to use by any means and requires some skill to land killing shots, but most of all I think it is smart that we are given a loadout/spawn weapon that can at least compete with the BRs and DMRs. If you didnt have a gun that could compete with the pickup primaries then there is a good chance those who did pick up BRs and DMRs would just annihilate people without. All I have to do is think about going back to something the Halo 3 or Reach pistol and know that its a bad idea. In the past games I think that not having a competitive start weapon forces people to hide inside of areas and camp, I mean why come out if your peashooter cant hit back to some degree against someone with a BR or DMR? In Halo 5 the pistol requires one additional hit over the BR and DMR, I feel like this is a good trade. The person with the more powerful gun will win in a head to head perfect shot exchange, which is their motivation to pick up a BR or DMR (plus distance advantages) but there is the chance that the person with the more powerful weapon is NOT on point which opens up for the person with the pistol to take the kill if they are.

Anyways, I could probably go on about this topic but I will stop there. Any thoughts?

I’d say may be shorten the effective ranges on both of those weapons. they both seem to have a rather long reach, almost too much for the type of weapons they are. they should really only be effective mid-short range not mid-long

I think both are fine, I almost never get killed by an AR at range. If you nerf the range on the AR it will just become a weapon you toss aside for the more effective SMG. The assault rifle should be a mid to close range weapon. Not just a close range weapon, they key word there is rifle…its not a machine gun.

The AR doesn’t need a distance nerf otherwise there would be no reason to use it over the SMG. The SMG already has a faster TTK than the AR in close-medium engagements and nerfing the AR’s range will make it objectively worse than the SMG.

Pistol is fine. The AR has too much range for a automatic.

Guns are balanced. My suggestion would be to increase your awareness of what is around you. If an AR is killing you from range, it’s because they are zoomed in. Knock them out of zoom by landing a shot on them.

> 2535444466972963;4:
> The AR doesn’t need a distance nerf otherwise there would be no reason to use it over the SMG. The SMG already has a faster TTK than the AR in close-medium engagements and nerfing the AR’s range will make it objectively worse than the SMG.

I should probably make something more obvious than I did in the original post, I’m actually not in favor of nerfing either, but based on player feed back if 343 nerfed something I would rather it be the AR than Pistol. Personally I already toss aside the AR for SMG because the SMG shreds.

> 2533274792014876;6:
> Guns are balanced. My suggestion would be to increase your awareness of what is around you. If an AR is killing you from range, it’s because they are zoomed in. Knock them out of zoom by landing a shot on them.

Totally fair assessment and suggestions

In reality, Assault Rifles typically have an effective range up to 300m away. Of course this is Halo and real life physics don’t exactly apply to Assault Rifles and the such, but I don’t think the range should be nerfed. True, you can get killed at long mid-ranges by the Assault Rifle but at further ranges you’ll typically find the person had an Assault Rifle Longshot. Of course this only applies to Warzone and not Arena.

I think the range if fine on Assault Rifles. It should be able to engage and kill players at longer ranges but I don’t think it should be able to beat a precision weapon considering the headshot advantage.

As for the Magnum, it actually kills in 5 shots just like the DMR but it has a faster firerate then the Battle Rifle so in a perfect 1v1 headshot fight the Magnum will stomp the Battle Rifle anyday as long as you can connect the five shots. I’m not too sure about a DMR vs Magnum or which has the higher damage output. However it sights are worse for long-range engagements then the Battle Rifle’s recon sight and the DMR’s 3x Smart-Link scope but in the hands of a skilled player it can prove a match at mid-range fights.

> 2533274939018653;9:
> In reality, Assault Rifles typically have an effective range up to 300m away. Of course this is Halo and real life physics don’t exactly apply to Assault Rifles and the such, but I don’t think the range should be nerfed. True, you can get killed at long mid-ranges by the Assault Rifle but at further ranges you’ll typically find the person had an Assault Rifle Longshot. Of course this only applies to Warzone and not Arena.
>
> I think the range if fine on Assault Rifles. It should be able to engage and kill players at longer ranges but I don’t think it should be able to beat a precision weapon considering the headshot advantage.
>
> As for the Magnum, it actually kills in 5 shots just like the DMR but it has a faster firerate then the Battle Rifle so in a perfect 1v1 headshot fight the Magnum will stomp the Battle Rifle anyday as long as you can connect the five shots. I’m not too sure about a DMR vs Magnum or which has the higher damage output. However it sights are worse for long-range engagements then the Battle Rifle’s recon sight and the DMR’s 3x Smart-Link scope but in the hands of a skilled player it can prove a match at mid-range fights.

you know I completely forgot about the longshot perks lol