Nemesis System with AI prometheans

Disclaimer: no way do I think this’ll happen but if it does I’ll give HI some serious brownie points.

For those of you whom havent played Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War the nemesis system is an expansive dialogue tree of the AI remembering you, how you killed them, or/and what you’ve done. As for Halo, I feel like this can be best implemented with promethean soldiers/knights where they seem boring at first and spout ‘humanity is weak’ etc so you kill them. Later on the same enemy respawns and mentions ‘I remember you killing me, not again’ so you run away. Later when you come across this AI they would say ‘Last we met you ran, I expect you to do the same’ Gameplay wise it’ll affect nothing and I’m not expecting the whole mini cutscene like they do in the Shadow-Of games but rather akin to the nonsense the grunt say to give the gameplay more atmosphere.

Do you guys think this is a good idea, bad idea, alterations? Let me know!

It sounds kind of like an interesting idea, to be completely honest. It sounds intriguing to have the AI remember your actions in a specific situation to that detail, which does sound pretty cool. I can see it adding a more minor detail to gameplay, but even so, a surprisingly cool one. Its actually a bit like Warden in H5 throughout the campaign, though not as a 1:1 of course. Just that he’s “killed” over and over in the campaign and exists in a different field allowing him to control multiple bodies, it seems like a thing that’s actually plausible. Just more fleshed out and genuine, in the Warden case.

I like it.

It wouldn’t make any sense. Chief, or any playable character, doesn’t actually die and then come back, at any point during the campaign. Whereas in Shadow of Mordor, Talion does actually die and come back, so it makes sense. The Orcs can remember it because it happen. That isn’t the case in Halo.

While I do like the Nemesis system (think it should be paired with the darkzone system from The Division for multiplayer) I don’t think it fits too well in Halo. Master Chief’s story has been heavily tempo driven and that tempo doesn’t allow for much open world wandering and procrastinating. Also the Promethean Knights would not be a good backdrop for the nemesis system as they are not a faction full of internal strife and power struggles.

What would be better for the Nemesis system (and possibly a redemption for that poor character writing Spartan Locke) Would be some sort of Spin off game where the story is Locke is conducting ONI Operations to intervene on the Covenant Power struggle right after Halo 3. You will play as Spartan Lock and go to Covenant worlds taking out high ranking Elites, Brutes, and Prophets (the ones that remain) until you get those more friendly to the UNSC (aka the Arbiter) to the top.

Could be kinda interesting, as long as it isn’t cornball.

I agree with @Digital though that the dynamic would be kind of one-sided, since none of Chief’s deaths could actually be canonized.

This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
Just a thought

> 2533274955181440;6:
> This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
> Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
> Just a thought

Please god no, the ‘adapt’ mechanic in Shadow of War made a few rare enemies literally immune to everything. Balance please! Haha

> 2533274909139271;7:
> > 2533274955181440;6:
> > This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
> > Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
> > Just a thought
>
> Please god no, the ‘adapt’ mechanic in Shadow of War made a few rare enemies literally immune to everything. Balance please! Haha

Lol, thats why I said ‘just a thought’.
Metal Gear Solid V did it well imo

> 2533274955181440;8:
> > 2533274909139271;7:
> > > 2533274955181440;6:
> > > This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
> > > Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
> > > Just a thought
> >
> > Please god no, the ‘adapt’ mechanic in Shadow of War made a few rare enemies literally immune to everything. Balance please! Haha
>
> Lol, thats why I said ‘just a thought’.
> Metal Gear Solid V did it well imo

Yeah, MGS V did do this well. It made sense within the game too, unlike the nemesis system would in Halo, despite it being a cool system in Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.

> 2535419441797248;9:
> > 2533274955181440;8:
> > > 2533274909139271;7:
> > > > 2533274955181440;6:
> > > > This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
> > > > Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
> > > > Just a thought
> > >
> > > Please god no, the ‘adapt’ mechanic in Shadow of War made a few rare enemies literally immune to everything. Balance please! Haha
> >
> > Lol, thats why I said ‘just a thought’.
> > Metal Gear Solid V did it well imo
>
> Yeah, MGS V did do this well. It made sense within the game too, unlike the nemesis system would in Halo, despite it being a cool system in Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.

Oh yeah, in a linear campaign it would be an odd mix. Maybe in a firefight style gamemode?

> 2533274955181440;10:
> > 2535419441797248;9:
> > > 2533274955181440;8:
> > > > 2533274909139271;7:
> > > > > 2533274955181440;6:
> > > > > This would be cool if the flood or any AI’s we encounter do this. They are all respectively connected to each other and would allow this to work well as you progress through the levels.
> > > > > Another idea, is what if they notice you using your grenades (or any weapon) quite often, and start calling out for it / adapting to the way you play.
> > > > > Just a thought
> > > >
> > > > Please god no, the ‘adapt’ mechanic in Shadow of War made a few rare enemies literally immune to everything. Balance please! Haha
> > >
> > > Lol, thats why I said ‘just a thought’.
> > > Metal Gear Solid V did it well imo
> >
> > Yeah, MGS V did do this well. It made sense within the game too, unlike the nemesis system would in Halo, despite it being a cool system in Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.
>
> Oh yeah, in a linear campaign it would be an odd mix. Maybe in a firefight style gamemode?

Maybe…? It certainly couldn’t be canon, as it is in the Middle-Earth games. It seems kinda pointless to just have in Firefight, but a derivative of it could exist. Rather than them remembering you and having a little cutscene, they could make a confused comment under their breath? Sort of as a fourth wall joke.

I would hope that, given the new engine, something like this becomes a thing.

It would be awesome that people remember what you do (not just in terms of campaign progression, but actions that are too specific to matter in the grand scheme of things.)