Needler: Ultimate Weapon

Since the needler can pierce spartans armor, which is supposed to be tank-like, that means it could actually pierce a tanks armor. Making the needle rifle even more deadly since it’s shooting the needles at a higher velocity.

Idk why they make needle weapons, or any covy weapons, less effective than UNSC weapons

The damage that weapons do in-game doesn’t reflect on the damage they do in canon. For example, just because it takes 5 shots to kill something with a Needle Rifle in-game doesn’t mean that it takes that many shots in the actual universe. Changes are necessary for balance issues, especially in Reach since they had to worry about Invasion.

It’s really about balancing. In canon, the needler is really powerful, and even one Needler round to an unshielded body will kill. That would be pretty OP IMO, and would not be fun in gameplay.

CE’s needler was always my favourite weapon, and I never got why people hated it. It was the most exotic weapon I’ve ever seen at the time, and was pretty -Yoink!- effective, especially in open spaces. Not to mention the hilarious explosions. I can see blamite weaponry actually being very deeply explored, even further than the less-than impressive promethean weaponry that 343 pumped out last year.

Outside of the game, Needler rounds can’t puncture Mjolnir.

One such instance is in FUD when Chief blocks a Needle Rifle round with his gauntlet.

> CE’s needler was always my favourite weapon, and I never got why people hated it. It was the most exotic weapon I’ve ever seen at the time, and was pretty -Yoink!- effective, especially in open spaces. Not to mention the hilarious explosions. I can see blamite weaponry actually being very deeply explored, even further than the less-than impressive promethean weaponry that 343 pumped out last year.

People hated that thing?

It’s so useful.

Have you seen Halo Legends: Homecoming?

> Since the needler can pierce spartans armor, which is supposed to be tank-like, that means it could actually pierce a tanks armor.

That’s quite possibly the worst conclusion I’ve ever seen. Not only is Spartan armor no where near as durable as that of a tank, but the Needler itself is absolutely pathetic when it comes to penetration. It travels at a speed that can be surpassed by an arrow.

There’s sometimes quite a disconnect between in-game behavior and intended actuality. Even as far back as Halo 1, if you as the Chief are meleed, you can see blood spatter the ground from a hermetically sealed suit. Not too realistic in game. Needs to be fun first.

Balance goes before “lore”. The king of all “Balance < Lore” is starcraft(2). That’s far worse then halo. I believe the closest you can get to “realistic in the halo lore” is the “heroic” difficulty in campaign.

If you two are trying to justify the Needler’s horrible muzzle velocity then you’ve pretty much failed since it’s stats are right here, and these stats are what I’m referring to, not gameplay >.>

Each Needle travels at 54 m/s and each one weighs about 25-30 grams. It comes out to roughly 43-44 joules of kinetic energy. It’s literally on par to a thrown dart, maybe a bit more, but it sure as hell isn’t going to pierce any armor that isn’t made of wet toilet paper.

> > Since the needler can pierce spartans armor, which is supposed to be tank-like, that means it could actually pierce a tanks armor.
>
> That’s quite possibly the worst conclusion I’ve ever seen. Not only is Spartan armor no where near as durable as that of a tank, but the Needler itself is absolutely pathetic when it comes to penetration. It travels at a speed that can be surpassed by an arrow.

I think MJOLNIR is supposed to be tank-like in the amount of damage it can dish out, not its durability. Although it would have to be pretty durable to survive falling from several km in the air, let alone from orbit.

> > Since the needler can pierce spartans armor, which is supposed to be tank-like, that means it could actually pierce a tanks armor.
>
> That’s quite possibly the worst conclusion I’ve ever seen. <mark>Not only is Spartan armor no where near as durable as that of a tank</mark>, but the Needler itself is absolutely pathetic when it comes to penetration. It travels at a speed that can be surpassed by an arrow.

Tell that to the guy who fell from space and only got a scrape to his chestpiece armor…

> Tell that to the guy who fell from space and only got a scrape to his chestpiece armor…

Sorry, I forgot tanks were vulnerable to .30 machine guns. Oh wait, these are crappy UNSC tanks you’re talking about, then I guess he is tank-like from their perspective.

> Then John saw a dozen commandos in the warehouse, watching him. They
> hefted the .30-caliber machine gun, favored by rebel forces. Nicknamed
> “confetti makers,” they were grossly inaccurate, but at point-blank range, it
> would hardly be a concern.

> > Tell that to the guy who fell from space and only got a scrape to his chestpiece armor…
>
> Sorry, I forgot tanks were vulnerable to .30 machine guns. Oh wait, <mark>these are crappy UNSC tanks you’re talking about,</mark> then I guess he is tank-like from their perspective.
>
>
>
> > Then John saw a dozen commandos in the warehouse, watching him. They
> > hefted the .30-caliber machine gun, favored by rebel forces. Nicknamed
> > “confetti makers,” they were grossly inaccurate, but at point-blank range, it
> > would hardly be a concern.

Proof that the UNSC tanks are crappy?

> > > Tell that to the guy who fell from space and only got a scrape to his chestpiece armor…
> >
> > Sorry, I forgot tanks were vulnerable to .30 machine guns. Oh wait, <mark>these are crappy UNSC tanks you’re talking about,</mark> then I guess he is tank-like from their perspective.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Then John saw a dozen commandos in the warehouse, watching him. They
> > > hefted the .30-caliber machine gun, favored by rebel forces. Nicknamed
> > > “confetti makers,” they were grossly inaccurate, but at point-blank range, it
> > > would hardly be a concern.
>
> Proof that the UNSC tanks are crappy?

You must really not know much about real tanks if you think UNSC tanks are well designed or well “armed”.

> “It was the guards loading ammunition off the Warthog,” Kurt explained. “I saw
> it at the time, but it didn’t register until it was almost too late. Those ammo
> canisters were marked as armor-piercing rounds. All of them. You wouldn’t
> need that much AP unless you were taking on a few light tanks”

Ghosts of Onyx

Like I said before, UNSC tanks have such crap armor they get defeated by .30 AP rounds meant for APCs. Even modern light tanks would laugh at that kind of round hitting it.

Anyway, I think we’ve derailed from the main topic enough now.

> > > > Tell that to the guy who fell from space and only got a scrape to his chestpiece armor…
> > >
> > > Sorry, I forgot tanks were vulnerable to .30 machine guns. Oh wait, <mark>these are crappy UNSC tanks you’re talking about,</mark> then I guess he is tank-like from their perspective.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Then John saw a dozen commandos in the warehouse, watching him. They
> > > > hefted the .30-caliber machine gun, favored by rebel forces. Nicknamed
> > > > “confetti makers,” they were grossly inaccurate, but at point-blank range, it
> > > > would hardly be a concern.
> >
> > Proof that the UNSC tanks are crappy?
>
> You must really not know much about real tanks if you think UNSC tanks are well designed or well “armed”.
>
>
>
>
> > “It was the guards loading ammunition off the Warthog,” Kurt explained. “I saw
> > it at the time, but it didn’t register until it was almost too late. Those ammo
> > canisters were marked as armor-piercing rounds. All of them. You wouldn’t
> > need that much AP unless you were taking on a few light tanks”
>
> Ghosts of Onyx
>
> Like I said before, UNSC tanks have such crap armor they get defeated by .30 AP rounds meant for APCs. Even modern light tanks would laugh at that kind of round hitting it.
>
> Anyway, I think we’ve derailed from the main topic enough now.

I didn’t say that I knew much about modern tanks. I just wanted some proof. But I got some, so point taken.

Edit: I don’t know what happened to the quote.