Needle Rifle on 85% bloom...

It almost seems to reset fast enough so that it’s almost as if the bloom doesn’t effect it at all.
You can fire it automatically and not see the outer reticle expand at all.

This may be a problem, considering that it essentially makes the NR as potent as it is in zero bloom without granting that same courtesy to the pistol and DMR. I’ll have to play some more to see how it pans out though.

SHHHHH

Keep it on the down low.

I hope nobody read this message that the Needle Rifle is basically bloomless in 85% bloom.

Well…after a few matches…this is definitely a problem.
In most encounters, the pistol and DMR are too slow to do any good against the NR, and it doesn’t seem to take that much distance to keep CQB weapons at bay. Nothing seems to be able to kill a NR user quick enough (save for power weapons, but even those are a bit iffy) to balance it out.
Maybe if everyone spawned with one, it wouldn’t be a problem, but now it’s behaving like a very versatile power weapon, and something needs to be done.

NR still kills slower sooooo…

> NR still kills slower sooooo…

Does it really kill slower than a fully paced DMR?
I haven’t tested this, so I really don’t know…it’s just that the NR is a fully automatic, really accurate, long range weapon with enough ammo for 3 and a half kills…while the DMR and Pistol still need to be paced.

This I don’t mind it having this, something about it seams more fair about the DMR with no bloom. I wouldn’t care if it was increased a little bit to have more a bloom to it. Reguardless I pwn with it. (I try not to brag and have a ego, but this is true)

Close to mid range I find fully auto actually works a good portion of the time and destroys everything except for power weapons and pistol numbs.

I’ve now been on both the giving and receiving end of the NR.
In one notable match, one player managed to shoot up 8 points after picking up the NR, suddenly closing the gap between his team and my own, and almost securing the win.
In another match, I managed to grab the NR and tear through multiple opponents, while knocking the shields off others, enough so that I ended with the top kills…most of which were the NR (sans a couple of melees). I found myself rushing the NR spawn ASAP so that I’d have as much ammo as I possibly could.

It should be treated as a semi power weapon now much like the grenade launcher.

The weapon went from almost completely useless to a semi power weapon which is a great thing for the sandbox.

The less DMR the better.

No longer a one gun game.

> It should be treated as a semi power weapon now much like the grenade launcher.
>
> The weapon went from almost completely useless to a semi power weapon which is a great thing for the sandbox.
>
> The less DMR the better.
>
> No longer a one gun game.

I suppose if it’s set up in limited spots around the map, with limited ammo…then it wouldn’t be that big of a problem.
I never found it useless in default Reach, quite the contrary actually, I often found it to be a better choice of weapon than the DMR in most occasions, especially in close-mid range combat.
I also never found the game to revolve around the DMR (save for BTB…blech). Though, this may be partially due to my preference of AR starts, and thus my increased playtime in AR starts than DMR starts. However, even in the DMR start matches I have played, the slow kill time of the DMR coupled with the design of most default maps (being that they provide many escape routes, cover, and hallways), I’ve found that most ToDs are spread across the board at low ratios to their overall score (I.E. AR-3 kills, when the player’s total score is 12).
The biggest shift in gameplay I’ve seen in going from default to TU is that in my own playstyle. In default, I use a wide range of weapons, both alone and in combination. In the TU playlist…I’m heading towards the NR with reckless abandon, in the hopes that my opponent won’t realize it’s potential.

As with all accounts, this is purely subjective and based on my own experience and opinion, but I simply feel that the NR shouldn’t be changed into a semi-power weapon…especially considering the fact that doing so across the board would have terrible consequences in Invasion and any gametype featuring Elites. (I figure that Slayer Pro would just have the NR loadout removed).

Dont whine about the NR, it was pretty underpowered before now I love it because i can take any DMR & magnum user from a mid-long distance, though magnum still is a beast over close and mid ranges.

> Dont whine about the NR, it was pretty underpowered before now I love it because i can take any DMR & magnum user from a mid-long distance, though magnum still is a beast over close and mid ranges.

I never found it to be underpowered in vanilla Reach. It was long range, could be fired automatically, and had bloom that opened and reset faster, making paced shots (or quick bursts as I became accustomed to) all the more integral to it’s proper usage. It was pretty much even with the DMR in one-on-one battles if used correctly, and had the advantage of being far more useful in CQB than the DMR due to the automatic function.
As a matter of fact, I dropped the DMR for a NR first chance I get, simply because the NR is more reliable.

Not once did I ever see a thread or even an oft comment about the NR needing a buff, the only comments made about the NR were talks about how it’s bloom was integrated the best, and the occasional suggestion of having it replace DMRs in some playlists (BTB, there was a suggestion about implementing a NR SWAT variant), so forgive me if I don’t buy the “it was underpowered” claim, as I am given little to believe it’s authenticity.

If it’s treated like a power weapon, (and if the TU settings are implemented across the board) then it’ll be balanced out by it’s low abundance and (preferably) low amount of spare ammo…however, even that comes at the cost of completely ruining Invasion, reducing Slayer Pro to one loadout, making Elite Slayer even more of a mess, and forcing 343 to tweak every map (default, DLC and community) so that it the NR isn’t as abundant as it is. That is alot of effort and secondary problems to compensate for simply to change the role of one weapon that nobody really complained about before.

> It should be treated as a semi power weapon now much like the grenade launcher.
>
> The weapon went from almost completely useless to a semi power weapon which is a great thing for the sandbox.
>
> The less DMR the better.
>
> No longer a one gun game.

coughaonegungameisprettymuchwhatyouwantedoverkillconsideringyoulovehalo2andhalocewhichwerebothprettymuchonegungamesminuspowerweaponsImeanjeeztalkaboutcontradictingyourselfcough

> > It should be treated as a semi power weapon now much like the grenade launcher.
> >
> > The weapon went from almost completely useless to a semi power weapon which is a great thing for the sandbox.
> >
> > The less DMR the better.
> >
> > No longer a one gun game.
>
> coughaonegungameisprettymuchwhatyouwantedoverkillconsideringyoulovehalo2andhalocewhichwerebothprettymuchonegungamesminuspowerweaponsImeanjeeztalkaboutcontradictingyourselfcough

Everything but the AR and Needler were useful in their respective ranges in CE. Halo 2 had the BR and Carbine, along with power weapons.

The DMR still has a greater scope thus making it more accurate over range as well as doing damage to health and vehicles.

Both guns are practically even taking this into consideration.

I have noticed that bloom does effect the NR if you begin firing the instant you switch to it from any weapon other than the DMR…for some reason. The reticule seems to be limited moreso than the vanilla Reach NR…so it almost seems like that is what it’s supposed to do rather than become bloomless. So maybe this is a glitch.
In a one on one battle with the DMR the NR seems fine…but only at long range. The NR still has a wide amount of versatility (and due to bleed through, a greater margin for error) and that results in it winning more battles against the DMR than it loses.

with Bullet Bleed-Through it makes besides perfect shot, a 6 shot weapon with fast fire rate, leaving the Magnum and DMR like useless

There aren’t as many NR’s on the map as DMR’s so an ammo decrease would fix this.

> I have noticed that bloom does effect the NR if you begin firing the instant you switch to it from any weapon other than the DMR…for some reason. The reticule seems to be limited moreso than the vanilla Reach NR…so it almost seems like that is what it’s supposed to do rather than become bloomless. So maybe this is a glitch.
> In a one on one battle with the DMR the NR seems fine…but only at long range. The NR still has a wide amount of versatility (and due to bleed through, a greater margin for error) and that results in it winning more battles against the DMR than it loses.

That is with most weapons. As soon as you switch the Bloom is maxed out.