Need to play HW1 before HW2?

I’ve pre-ordered the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, so I’ll be getting Halo Wars 1 with that. I’ve never played it. Story-wise, do I need to play through the first one before the second to understand the story?

Probably not, considering Halo Wars 2 is set 28 years after Halo Wars 1, but i guess if you want to know what happened during Halo Wars 1, then you could either play it, or just watch the cinematic cut scenes on youtube :stuck_out_tongue:

I would play it, otherwise you won’t know who the characters are or where they’re coming from. Plus, Halo Wars is a ton of fun and worth playing through.

Prob not, I never finished Halo Wars 1 campaign but I did play some multiplayer.
You could just read the story online to catch up too

It’s probably not required. But it’d help you know some things and at least a couple of the UNSC characters for in HW2

I would just look up all of the cutscenes…

It depends on your situation.

1. How interested in the Halo story are you?

2. How much time do you have to play video games from now until Feb 21st?

3. How much do you care about continuity?

If you care quite a bit about the Halo story and care about continuity then yes, you should play the first one. No doubt.

If you care about the Halo story but don’t care about continuity then simply come back to it at a later date (it’s a good story you shouldn’t miss).

If you don’t care about the Halo story but you do care about story in general than no, you don’t have to play through it.

If you don’t have time but care about items 1 and 3 then set aside any other games you may be playing and make time for HW1.

One thing I will say is this is absolutely a continuation of Halo Wars 1 and I would say that downplaying the need to play the first one when it comes to story is a mistake.

> 2533274793189038;7:
> It depends on your situation.
>
> 1. How interested in the Halo story are you?
>
> 2. How much time do you have to play video games from now until Feb 21st?
>
> 3. How much do you care about continuity?
>
> If you care quite a bit about the Halo story and care about continuity then yes, you should play the first one. No doubt.
>
> If you care about the Halo story but don’t care about continuity then simply come back to it at a later date (it’s a good story you shouldn’t miss).
>
> If you don’t care about the Halo story but you do care about story in general than no, you don’t have to play through it.
>
> If you don’t have time but care about items 1 and 3 then set aside any other games you may be playing and make time for HW1.
>
> One thing I will say is this is absolutely a continuation of Halo Wars 1 and I would say that downplaying the need to play the first one when it comes to story is a mistake.

Agreed; plus the game is so much fun.

If you want to feel more connected to the Characters and understand some subtle nods to HW2 I’d say yeah

definitely play HW1 it will explain a lot