Need some thoughts and views on this please.

Alright so… Halo 5 in my opinion is great in terms of multiplayer and it being unbelievably smooth, it is easily one of the best of the Halo titles regarding it’s competitve gameplay. I think it’s great.

However, Halo 5 is a game I rarely tell any of my friends about due to its microtransations. All of my Halo friends stopped playing Halo games once they played Halo 4 on the 360 and then MCC on the Xbox One killed all signs of Halo life on my friends list… Becuase it was broken at Launch and still to this day.

what I’m getting at here is that the REQ packs are a cool idea, it’s not the worst thing to happen but at the same time it is horrible to recommend this game to anyone who has played a classic Halo and I don’t consider H4 or Reach classic but at least Emblems were not something you had to unlock because REQ packs are the ONLY WAY TO HOPE TO GET SOMETHING YOU LIKE. Whether it’s Armor or a freakin Emblem or whatever…

at least in Halo Reach you could save up your in-game currency and then purchase what you wanted but in Halo 5 the grind is ridiculously insane and discouraging to the player base in my opinion.

I feel like H5 would have been so much more incredible if simple things like emblems were just there and not something you unlock.

If the REQs absolutely had to stay that’s fine but 343 needs to strongly reconsider what should be an unlock able item… One of my friends got H5 last week or so and played it 1 time and was so excited until the game loaded up, my friend asked me how do I use my favorite emblem? How do I change my armor ? I tried to explain the REQ system and once my friend saw the prices of the microtransations and what you needed to do to be able to try to unlock something it just got stressful and overall a terrible experience for a new player coming to H5. My friend hasn’t played since then because of how much grinding you have to do…

I just wanted some thoughts on this and I’m sorry if this is scattered and unorganized with typos and whatnot but I love Halo and have been playin since Halo 2 and feel like H5 is holding its potential back with this trading card REQ pack system. it is insane to think sometimes that it is the only way to unlock items. I just feel like it makes the game boring for new and classic players if they don’t click with the REQ system…

what do you think ?

I feel the same way. I don’t feel like I earn anything because everything is random and I get the same amount of req points as my team no matter how well or how much effort I put into a game.
To fix that I think they should add req points for each kill/flag,bomb,cap/boss kill. to balance the effort.
Some people don’t do -Yoink- for the team and it hurts your rank and req points. So adding individual earnings would balance that out.

The current REQ system feeds the want for more. In Reach and 4, I bought what I wanted and never spent any credits again. In 5, I keep unlocking new stuff every few games, and that’s exciting. Not only do I enjoy the intrinsic value of playing the game, but I get the extrinsic value of unlockables. The fact that unlockables are random make it more exciting and make me want more (but never to the extent that I’d pay real money).

That’s what I think about the REQ system and that’s why I like it.

It’s certainly not the worst thing to happen as you said, but I’ve said it before and this is what I would do:

1. Be able to save up points and unlock what you want, but have them be worth a lot. Like 10K for a specific item for example (not a hard number, just an example)
  2. Have an RNG system like what is currently in place and have it be relatively cheap to use. That way you can get things more frequently, but it’s randomized and you have no control over it.
    Obviously prices can be tweaked so that they make sense and work properly, and the system can be reworked if there are issues I’m missing.
    The only major thing I can think of is that once you unlock everything you want, you could just use the RNG system to get the rest because it’s cheaper, so the pricing would have to be made so that it’s worth saving up instead of playing the slots, but not so cheap that it can be blown through and then just play penny slots to get the stuff you don’t care about.

a considerable portion of emblems comes out of commendations but i see your point. in defense of REQs dropping random customization option think back to Halo 3, ta majority of people were locked on to Hayabusa or Security because they were status items and proved that they were earned, but they became so common. the only thing that changed that was people then hunting for Recon.

My point is that not immediately getting whatever you want allows for more diversity among the community. you’d probably never see 2 people in a game with the same exact armor now unless you were matched with people from Whiskey with their Achilles Armor.

REQs aren’t intrusive monetarily and are far more favorable in comparison to Destiny’s Silver.

I think that there’s too much tied to the REQ System. And that some should be brought in through means you can earn in certain ways, as well.

But really, people need to stop pinning microtransactions as the root of the game’s problems. 343 just didn’t execute in the best way. (And yes, there is a better way to approach it while maintaining the system)

I’ll accept optional transactions with a relatively easy way of earning them, without spending money, over the dated concept of paywalls and DLC Packs. The other part of it is that these monthly updates are introducing more fixes, feature additions, and implementations of feedback than we’ve ever got in the past, But that’s just a symptom of how good the Xbox One is at patching (pretty much on par with steam’s solution) in comparison to the limited way that the 360 could handle it.

> 2533274861780280;3:
> The current REQ system feeds the want for more. In Reach and 4, I bought what I wanted and never spent any credits again. In 5, I keep unlocking new stuff every few games, and that’s exciting. Not only do I enjoy the intrinsic value of playing the game, but I get the extrinsic value of unlockables. The fact that unlockables are random make it more exciting and make me want more (but never to the extent that I’d pay real money).
>
> That’s what I think about the REQ system and that’s why I like it.

I understand what you mean and I myself don’t dislike the REQ system 100%… I too think it is awesome to unlock stuff because it is exciting but to new and classic halo players it just makes me feel for them because some of them don’t have all the time in the world to play and something as simple as classic Halo Emblems and standard classic Halo Armor variants should be there at the start. To at least encourage them to want to play haha my friends list when H5 was released had about 18 ppl playing halo for a good week or 2… Now daily I’m lucky to see 2 or 3 ppl on it and these friends of mine always played halo primarily all the way since H3 in 2007.

I like the REQ system and the idea behind it because it does keep the game fresh in a sense but I’ve noticed to a lot of players it can be discouraging and a turn off for a Halo game to have it be that much of a grind :frowning:

maybe 343 will make double exp/req point weekend a regular thing or something…

agreed mate