Need some help clearing up some Reach retcons

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not raging against the game, but I’m also not a die-hard fanboy that can look over every inconsistency. I understand why Halsey was at sword with cortana, she was fragmented. I can kind of understand the POA being on reach(although it’s size still bugs me, and the whole shrinking it feels cheap). but that still doesn’t give reason about the following:

The Dates: the game takes place about a month before the true invasion began. If the UNSC and ONI knew that Covies were on the planet, wouldn’t they have brought all the guns to kill the covie recon teams before a major invasion occoured, and failing that, began an evacuation. They did have a month.

The above also clashes with The Cole Protocol. If covenant came a month before, ONI would sure as hell activated said protocol and started wiping nav data. Chief wouldn’t have went to wipe the space station, and would have remained on Reach. Halo’s 1,2, and 3 are now forgotten.

dr. Sorvad’s data, SWORD base’s hidden forerunner tech, and the battle of SOIV: SOIV is sigmus octanius 4(yes, i had to look that up.), a major battle in TFoR. It’s where the SII’s find that covie star map that leads the POA to halo. If this is indeed how they find halo, then what is the ‘latch key’ that halsey talks about, and why the heck is that fragment of cortana so important? What data did she have that really helped out in the rest of the war? If the forerunner structure held any indication to where halo was, how would dr. sorvad have known what it was, or that it could have been of any use. and if he did know, wouldn’t he have learned of the flood as well? A giant hula hoop that kills all sentient life sure doesn’t sound lik a latch key to me.

That’s all I can come up with right now that really bugs me. And before anyone says search, I did. nothing came up with these answers.

You didn’t find answers because there are no answers. Bungie Studios chose to use retroactive continuations (a.k.a. retcons) to tell what happened at Reach. Furthermore, the 2010 reprint of The Fall of Reach makes no reconciliation with the game whatsoever. It still says that Captain Keyes is shocked and amazed to see Covenant on August 30th.

The only hope so far of a consistent universe is coming June 28th. This is when The Fall of Reach is being released as the “Definitive Edition.” I can only hope that this entails fixing things.

I’m sure the UNSC did began evacuations but they also didn’t need or want wide spread panic. The Covenant first showed up and attacked military targets. They didn’t move into the cities until a larger fleet arrived. Dot informs Noble team that a large chunk of the UNSC fleet was en route.

The Ship that failed to wipe its data was the UNSC Circumference. It was set to go for a top secret mission and had been removed from the UNSC database. So in other words they missed one because they didn’t know she was there. Simple mistake and the Master Chief dealt with it.

The fragment of Cortana was important because their discovery allowed them to translate the Forerunner language. This is how Cortana knew that the writing on the Crystal was coordinates. They didn’t know that before hand. It also would have allowed them to access the massive Forerunner structure beneath CASTLE Base but the Covenant’s invasion pretty much put an end to that. Although they accidentally found a way in there anyways.

> I’m sure the UNSC did began evacuations but they also didn’t need or want wide spread panic. The Covenant first showed up and attacked military targets. They didn’t move into the cities until a larger fleet arrived. Dot informs Noble team that a large chunk of the UNSC fleet was en route.
>
> The Ship that failed to wipe its data was the UNSC Circumference. It was set to go for a top secret mission and had been removed from the UNSC database. So in other words they missed one because they didn’t know she was there. Simple mistake and the Master Chief dealt with it.
>
> The fragment of Cortana was important because their discovery allowed them to translate the Forerunner language. This is how Cortana knew that the writing on the Crystal was coordinates. They didn’t know that before hand. It also would have allowed them to access the massive Forerunner structure beneath CASTLE Base but the Covenant’s invasion pretty much put an end to that. Although they accidentally found a way in there anyways.

In the game, the massive Covenant fleet showed up (I believe) on August 13th. That’s WAY before August 30th, and The Fall of Reach tells us that hundreds of UNSC ships were already in-system. In the game, the Covenant fleet exited slipspace in orbit. In the book, they exited slipspace at the system’s edge.

And according to the same book, Cortana knew the crystal contained coordinates because it wasn’t a written language, it was a star map. She knew this early in the morning of August 30th.

> > I’m sure the UNSC did began evacuations but they also didn’t need or want wide spread panic. The Covenant first showed up and attacked military targets. They didn’t move into the cities until a larger fleet arrived. Dot informs Noble team that a large chunk of the UNSC fleet was en route.
> >
> > The Ship that failed to wipe its data was the UNSC Circumference. It was set to go for a top secret mission and had been removed from the UNSC database. So in other words they missed one because they didn’t know she was there. Simple mistake and the Master Chief dealt with it.
> >
> > The fragment of Cortana was important because their discovery allowed them to translate the Forerunner language. This is how Cortana knew that the writing on the Crystal was coordinates. They didn’t know that before hand. It also would have allowed them to access the massive Forerunner structure beneath CASTLE Base but the Covenant’s invasion pretty much put an end to that. Although they accidentally found a way in there anyways.
>
> In the game, the massive Covenant fleet showed up (I believe) on August 13th. That’s WAY before August 30th, and The Fall of Reach tells us that hundreds of UNSC ships were already in-system. In the game, the Covenant fleet exited slipspace in orbit. In the book, they exited slipspace at the system’s edge.
>
> And according to the same book, Cortana knew the crystal contained coordinates because it wasn’t a written language, it was a star map. She knew this early in the morning of August 30th.

No one ever said that the fleet which arrived on the 14th was the major fleet. Halopedia has both incidents listed saying that a fleet of ships arrived on the 14th and then the fleet of 314 ships arrived later as in the book.

This is their take on everything…

http://www.halopedian.com/Fall_of_Reach

I’ve read that article and the discussion behind it, and it still doesn’t match with the book. Right after Jorge tosses Six out the window, you hear Gamma Station screaming that “It must be the whole damn Covenant fleet!” By August 23rd, they’re already going through glassing surface.

The Fall of Reach, Chapter 31, August 30, 04:47

FLEETCOM didn’t really expect anything to attack the Reach Military Complex. If anything did attack it, the battle would be a short one. There were twenty Super MAC guns in orbit. … If that wasn’t enough to stop the Covenant fleet, there were anywhere from a hundred to a hundred and fifty ships in the system at any given time.

Any statement that this game matches with The Fall of Reach is absurd.

> I’ve read that article and the discussion behind it, and it still doesn’t match with the book. Right after Jorge tosses Six out the window, you hear Gamma Station screaming that “It must be the whole damn Covenant fleet!” By August 23rd, they’re already going through glassing surface.
>
> The Fall of Reach, Chapter 31, August 30, 04:47
>
> FLEETCOM didn’t really expect anything to attack the Reach Military Complex. If anything did attack it, the battle would be a short one. There were twenty Super MAC guns in orbit. … If that wasn’t enough to stop the Covenant fleet, there were anywhere from a hundred to a hundred and fifty ships in the system at any given time.
>
> Any statement that this game matches with The Fall of Reach is absurd.

Well according to that statement and how the book ended, it indeed was a short battle. But not with the outcome as proclaimed by the quote you just gave us.

Ironically, with a statement like that, for me it stands to reason that a long drawn out battle would occur for 2 opposing forces meeting each other when both sides underestimate the other’s capabilities.

That the Covenant were retrieving Forerunner artifacts makes it luckier for the humans as total annihilation would of occurred as described in the book IF the Covenant were not treasure hunting.