Need Help on Making A Big Connection

Ok so after watching “The Return” on Halo Waypoint, I am trying to figure out exactly what the Elite found the Humans doing (I think it could have huge ties to Halo 4). So lets look at what happened first:

1. Set 6 years after the Human-Covenant War, the Elite goes back to Kholo only to find some Jackals firing upon a Human base in the middle of this deserted world.

First of all, if Halo 4 is going to be set in 2553, this short story is very far from what we are about to see in the new game. Which is why I think Halo 4 will definitely be set a few years at least past 2553. There are still Jackals fighting against humans, which could mean the Covenant has reformed a bit and there are still races intent on finding their way to the Great Journey.

1. After he kills the Jackals, he runs over to the surviving Human and wants to know what happened. Realizing the survivor would soon be dead, the Shipmaster leaves him and continues looking around the base. He opens some boxes and sees cylinders all over the place, and picks them up. Soon, he finds photos of humans pestering with Forerunner technology, including a Monitor.

The Monitor they are pestering with is unknown, but this is where my theory comes in. It is the clone of 343 Guilty Spark/Chakas that we learned of in Halo Primordium. The Humans were asking it questions about where to find the Didact and towards the end 343 GS said he knew where to find the Librarian and that she is not dead.

As for the cylinders he picks up and looks at, they reminded me exactly of the ones in Halo Glasslands…the ones that appeared to be monitoring them and then escaped Kelly. Later in the book, they found more cylinders within the tower and then they hear the movement of an as of yet unidentified creature but Dr. Halsey ponders how that is possible as she believes they found the entrance to the shield world first.

1. He also turns around to see a hole/crater/cave with smoke rising from it. Realizing this could be what he was looking for, he returns to the human survivor and calls for help to aid the human, in order to interrogate him and find more information on the Forerunners, his faith rekindled the scene ends.

I believe they are looking for the Librarian, even though this does not coincide with other main theories or the direction of some canon. But if they had records of conversing with the Monitor before, and since I am assuming its 343, I also assume that he took the ship he hijacked straight to the Librarian’s location, which would be what the Elite in this episode found.

But I am totally open to more theories, prove me wrong or stupid, I just want some feedback.

Eh, I think you’re overanalyzing it. I think it is what it is, and wasn’t intended to ever contain deeper meaning. Or at least THAT deep.

But that doesn’t mean you’re wrong or I’m right…

That is possible, I am just in a mood to think deeply about it haha. Getting pumped for Monday.

Anything is possible really, The monitor part would make sense. The biggest thing is the cylinders, seeing one on a picture is a little different than one being described in a book. They could be one in the same, however they could also just be scientific cylinders. I think you may be going a little deep in the analysis. As we found out in Glasslands, the jackals are still trading with humans, and even attacking some. So that wouldn’t really mean that the covenant is still together. As far as where the shipmaster is going…It could be anywhere, so your theory is just as good as any I could come up with at the moment.

> Anything is possible really, The monitor part would make sense. The biggest thing is the cylinders, seeing one on a picture is a little different than one being described in a book. They could be one in the same, however they could also just be scientific cylinders. I think you may be going a little deep in the analysis. As we found out in Glasslands, the jackals are still trading with humans, and even attacking some. So that wouldn’t really mean that the covenant is still together. As far as where the shipmaster is going…It could be anywhere, so your theory is just as good as any I could come up with at the moment.

Well he says at the end after searching the camp…

“Wait, what do these humans have? An Oracle? That hole, the digging, the smoke…you will live human, there will will be many questions for you in the days ahead. And I still remember how to get you humans to answer questions. You will help me find the Oracle and all that it knows. Soon I’ll no longer need any Prophets to speak to our Gods. It is time for me to speak to them myself.”

To me it seems to me as if he notices they are digging for something that has to do with connecting to the Forerunners in some way.

> > Anything is possible really, The monitor part would make sense. The biggest thing is the cylinders, seeing one on a picture is a little different than one being described in a book. They could be one in the same, however they could also just be scientific cylinders. I think you may be going a little deep in the analysis. As we found out in Glasslands, the jackals are still trading with humans, and even attacking some. So that wouldn’t really mean that the covenant is still together. As far as where the shipmaster is going…It could be anywhere, so your theory is just as good as any I could come up with at the moment.
>
> Well he says at the end after searching the camp…
>
> “Wait, what do these humans have? An Oracle? That hole, the digging, the smoke…you will live human, there will will be many questions for you in the days ahead. And I still remember how to get you humans to answer questions. You will help me find the Oracle and all that it knows. Soon I’ll no longer need any Prophets to speak to our Gods. It is time for me to speak to them myself.”
>
> To me it seems to me as if he notices they are digging for something that has to do with connecting to the Forerunners in some way.

Yeah I guess him saying that kind of implies that there are still Prophets doing some “leading”. I still kind of feel like those Jackals were just being their Pirate selves. Cause remember the Jackals never really cared about the religion part of the Covenant. They were only interested in the money, and trade. One thing I realized long ago in the games. As much as it seems the covenant was going to worlds to dig up Forerunner stuff, humans were doing the exact same thing, on all of their planets. Every game had a dig site (minus Halo Wars). Even ODST had some kind of crap that they found below the ground that Virgil? had found, and then the engineer absorbed that AI. So humans were always digging for Forerunner artifacts. But like I said, your idea makes sense, and I still can’t come up with a different view that makes any sense.

Yea I agree with your assessment on the Jackal part, that seems very plausible. Maybe if it does go any deeper for the Covenant, they rearranged the hierarchy and have a new plan, which would be meeting their Gods (Forerunner).

Either way I am very interested in this specific story, does anyone know if they have any plans to continue Halo Evolutions?

hey navy seal, you’re at 117 posts XD and idk about your theory

If your theory is correct, there is some coincidence at play here. That the ship master just happens upon these discoveries. Or are coicidences excused in Halo since the Forerunner book series? Destiny and such, etc. etc.

> 1) Set 6 years after the Human-Covenant War, the Elite goes back to Kholo only to find some Jackals firing upon a Human base in the middle of this deserted world.
>
> First of all, if Halo 4 is going to be set in 2553, this short story is very far from what we are about to see in the new game. Which is why I think Halo 4 will definitely be set a few years at least past 2553. There are still Jackals fighting against humans, which could mean the Covenant has reformed a bit and there are still races intent on finding their way to the Great Journey.

Or those are just Jackal marauders.

The connection between Chakas and The Return has been suggested before. It’s not impossible - The Return could precede Primordium, with the shipmaster “interrogating” Chakas and leaving him for later humans to discover (and interrogate, giving us the account in Primordium). I doubt it’s after Primordium, as that ends with…

Chakas saying he knows where to find The Librarian, as he hijacks a human ship.I’m not sure I buy the Elite Sipmaster seeking The Librarian spefically. They’re in the throws of an existential dilemma - how do they interface with their gods now? They’re seeking all kinds of answers, and undoubtedly that could lead them to seeking the Librarian. But it seems they wouldn’t be happy with what they find - that Humanity is the chosen race, in a manner of speaking. We don’t really know yet how the Librarian viewed Sangheili (or other former Covenant races).

Of course, this all agrees with the later start date of Halo 4. Frankie went out f his way to suggest that the production date of the 2556 warthog was not the answer, as it would have shipped in 2553 (his words, Halo panel at Halo Fest, IIRC). But I’d guess 2556 is within a couple years of right. What’s potentially illuminating is in the very beginning of Primordium, not really a spoiler - “Covenant language stream detected”. Wy Covenant? Why not Sangheili, or Kig’yar, or what have you?

Covenant is normally associated with the Sangheili since it was stated that their language was the basic for the conglomerate. Which is why there were confusing and paradoxical discussions on bungie about what the True names of the Alien races are if we were told what the sangheili call them.

That is a confusing subject i don’t want us going into. I think it was stated a few years ago what we see are the actual names for the races but then there was something else that contradicted that.

But back to the point, When people say “Covenant” Elites generally get brought up. Hence why i have been getting on people in the halo 4 section because they say “the covenant will be in halo 4” yet they only talk about the elites.

Correction, the Warthog is a 2554 per the Top Gear showcase. However, Halo 4 takes place “about 5 years after [Master Chief] goes into cryo sleep”.

Interesting theory. Seems plausible.

Yea and now knowing that Halo 4 is set 5 years after Halo 3, and this is 6 years after…definitely could be.